Rifle Scopes ACOG reticle change possible?

ego235

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 24, 2010
North Carolina
I currently have a TA11 3.5x ACOG with a green donut reticle. I like the green horseshoe reticle better. Is it possible to send it back to Trijicon for a change?

I'd like to find out some details from anyone who may have done this. Cost, turnaround time, etc.

Re: ACOG reticle change possible?

You should be sending them an email. They responded to mine with in a few days. Just for reference, I wanted to have one of my TA44S-10 1.5X ACOGs switched to green. The color change is going to cost me $350.

It's not cheap, that's for sure.
I had a TA55 (2cnd hand, legit, 6-8 years ago) which developed a loose objective extension and I wanted to have changed to the TA55A (308) reticle, when they repaired it.
They charged me $250 and essentially sent me a brand new scope. They re-used the housing, but little else (the repair sheet seemed to list everything, prism, adjusters, glass, tritium, etc).
The technician assured me that my unit was well within any and all tolerances and he was certain I'd be pleased.
It was money certainly well spent.

I'm glad to hear it can be done. I did not expect it to be cheap hopefully since it is just the reticle change and not color, maybe it will be closer to the $250 mark. I'll give them a call next week.

Well after putting it off for a couple weeks, i finally remebered to call Trijicon CS to ask about the cost of doing a reticle change for my TA-11 green donut to green horeshoe...

$543...'nuff said, didn't bother to ask about turnaround times or anything else.

I just got a hold of leupold yesterday and asked them what it would cost to change to the TMR reticle.And Doug Armstrong tolled me 159.99

Ended up selling the ACOG TA11G which I wasn't using much and will buy a new TA11J-G the one with green cross hairs. Difference was about $250 between them. Since its just going to be for range work I don't mind trading off the faster target acquisition for accuracy.

Initially I wanted to get the TA11H-G with the horseshoe but after thinking about it, its pretty similar to the donut actually.

The donut is a 4 MOA ring with 2 MOA center. The horseshoe's center dot is 2 MOA so I don't figure much gained on precision. The cross hairs provide a bit more accuracy due to the thin lines of shooting at targets 300 yards. I also found out interestingly that the BDC is calibrated for the TA11 for a 20" barrel shooting 55 grain rounds similar to the setup I run currently. I thought previously it was for 16" barrels shooting 62 grain bullets but apparently that is only for the TA01 non-fiber optic models.

I won't mind trying it on my Remington 700 either
smile.gif

Bought another ACOG. TA11J-G, the green crosshairs. AMAZING reticle! Not only is the cross lit, but one horizontal line below it as well, which is the 300 yard bullet drop line. I took it out on the range, mounted it on a 20 inch AR-15 and zeroed for 100 yards. This reticle is both precise and clear. It is actually thinner than my NF scope's lines letting me see the target without any obstruction. Additionally I tested the BC out to 300 yards and it is dead on using 62 grain M855 ball ammo.

Overall selling my old ACOG and buying the new one cost me $250 when said and done. However i very much prefer this reticle over the 4 MOA donut for the precision and because the lit portion does not bleed on a sunny day thus I do not need to tape up any part of the fiber optic. I thought long and hard before selecting the green crosshair model over the green horseshoe (TA11H-G) and am glad I did. Even with a 2 MOA dot at the center, I felt it would cover up too much of the target at 200 yards or longer.

My Army National Guard unit has mostly ACOG TA-31's with red chevrons. Last year, we got in a bunch of old TA01NSN's that had the crosshairs and no fiber optic illum.

We qickly found that most Soldiers shot higher scores on the qualification range with the crosshairs.

That said, most were faster with the fiber optic illum chevron and still shot well enough out to 500.

It's all a compromise. Most preferred the speed of the chevron over the slight accuracy advantage of the crosshairs.

Our crew served have ACOG TA-11 with the horseshoe, and most that I asked seemed to prefer the horseshoe over the chevron. I slighlty prefer the chevron because I like the quick ranging using the illum chevron on the target silhouette's shoulders. I also like having aiming points at each 100 yard increment.

I agree the Chevron is a decent reticle, the point leads to a nice precise point of reference which I was missing using the donut. I believe the TA11J-G may have the same reticle as the TA01NSN, with the addition of the day-lit illumuinated center of the crosshairs. In fact, maybe if most of the shooting is done from a bench like the range I go to, maybe it would be better to get a 4x ACOG for the extra 0.5x mag over the longer eye-relief of the TA11.

Also...

The price Trijicon charges for a reticle swap or tritium recharge is ridiculous. If anyone decides to sell their AOCG and look for another ACOG with a different reticle, don't forget to find out when the ACOG was manufactured. Someone might be sent an ACOG so old that the tritium is already dim.