• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Suppressors Advice? Surefire FA762K or Gemtech Quicksand?

ashooter

Private
Minuteman
Sep 12, 2003
Texas
I'm shopping for a 7.62 suppressor to be used primarily on a SCAR 17s, but also want to be able to use it on other 7.62 and 5.56 rifles and carbines. For you guys who have used both, which would you recommend? I'm leaning toward the Quicksand, but I'm a little leary of the mount. Seems like I remember hearing of some problems with the bi-lock mechanism a few years ago, but I don't remember any specifics.

Advice?

Re: Advice? Surefire FA762K or Gemtech Quicksand?

I have fired and listened to the SureFire from up close and at a distance. They are quiet, damn quiet. I own the 5.56 version and can attest that their mount system is very, very good. That being said, I hear it is difficult to get them if you aren't a MIL customer and they are not cheap. For what it's worth. I can't comment on GemTechs cans but I met Dr. Dater at SHOT and he is a nice guy.

It isn't that hard to get surefire as long as you know some of their dealers. Adco can procure any of their cans for you.

Again, my main concern with the Gemtech is the vague complaints I've heard about the bilock mount causing some kind of accuracy gremlins.

I've never heard a Surefire can in person, but just about everybody I know who has heard them side by side with other cans seem to agree that the Surefire is not the quietest. Everybody also seems to agree that their mount system and repeatability is one of the best out there.

I'm looking for lightweight, reasonably short length, and reasonable accuracy. A couple of MOA zero shift is not a big deal to me, as long as it shifts the same way every time.

Is there ANYBODY here who has any first-hand experience with both Surefire and Gemtech bilock cans?

I have both systems. I'm currently using both an HVT and Surefire 7.62 and .338 cans, plus I have the first Sandstorm (threadmount Quicksand).

The Sandstorm is the same as the Quicksand, the Quicksand just has the HVT mount.

I've used the HVT on several different rifles and I've sold several to other instructors here at Gunsite, none of us has ever had an accuracy issue, in fact every gun shoots better with the can in place.

The Surefire units are slightly less quiet, but the K is shorter and lighter than the QS.

Zero shift is minor and repeatable in all cases, the SF has the least shift, then the SS and then the HVT. Of course, the HVT is all steel and quite a bit heavier. Shift on the 20" .308 is 1.75 MOA down and .75 right, I've just got it dialed in as an offset in my FFS progeam.

Excepting the .338, I really don't have a need for the quick attach feature, where having the break in place when the can is not installed is a big deal. That's why I use the Sandstorm on my current new build. I'd rather save the weight and length, thread mount is no problem. Unless you have multiple guns with varying thread patterns for which an adapter is available, I would just use the Sandstorm. Since you want to down size to 5.56 guns, make sure you can in fact get the mount you want. I don't recall SF making a 1/2-28 mount for the 762 series of cans.

CoryT,

Good info - Thanks!

BTW, Surefire says that the FA762SS will fit on mounts for the FA556AR... and the FA762K will fit on mounts for the FA556-212. I doubt the vice-versa is true though, since eventually some dumbass would put a 5.56 can on a 7.62.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: AShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">CoryT,

Good info - Thanks!

BTW, Surefire says that the FA762SS will fit on mounts for the FA556AR... and the FA762K will fit on mounts for the FA556-212. I doubt the vice-versa is true though, since eventually some dumbass would put a 5.56 can on a 7.62.

</div></div>

Yes sir, Surefire's 762 cans will do "double duty" on their 5.56 mounts!

Bryon