• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

AI AE MKIII

21Bravo

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 17, 2008
Jackson, MO
Finally decided to take the plunge. Ordered a new AI AE MK III 2.0 from Mile High. It should be in early next week. First time I've dealt with Mile High. Very professional throughout the entire transaction.

Pics will be posted when it arrives. (Sorry about the poor quality pic, rushed for time to get out the door to bow hunt).
[img:center]
DSC00730.jpg
[/img]

Craig in Missouri

Re: AI AE MKIII

We have a fresh shipment in, all folders, all three colors ready to go, just need to get everything into the system and they are going to back orders first and then open ended. Don't be jealous, we are here to help sir, just call and we will explain. To all have a safe weekend.

Here is the link to the UK site, http://www.accuracyinternational.com/index.php, it is not updated with the picture or spec's yet but I'm sure they are working on that. The main difference which is a big upgrade in the safety shroud which has been replaced with the current AW safety shroud, making it a 3 position locking bolt and better ergonomically for the end user to safe and work the safety in position.

Just saw a user in the UK , saying the bolt body on the AE series is the same as on the AW series .

And now the AE MKIII has the same 3 posn safety thats std on the AW series , I will ask the next logical question , would be why also does it not use the AW 10rd magazine , as well ?

Later Chris

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ChrisF</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Just saw a user in the UK , saying the bolt body on the AE series is the same as on the AW series .

And now the AE MKIII has the same 3 posn safety thats std on the AW series , I will ask the next logical question , would be why also does it not use the AW 10rd magazine , as well ?

Later Chris</div></div>

Because you'd have to seriously modify the receiver to accomodate a two-position feed, and because at that point AI would be cannibilizing their own AW/AX sales by bringing both platforms even closer together in function and feature.

Keeping my fingers crossed the AE I ordered from MHSA about 2 weeks ago will be shipped as a Mk3 since it's still at AINA for the custom 6.5 CM barrel & brake... hopefully Stacey will PM me with good news.
grin.gif

It looks like it will be possible to convert an AE MkI and II to the MkIII 3 position safety. It will require the bolt assembly to be sent back to either AI or AINA as the bolt requires minor machining. We are also checking dimensions to verify it will not be an issue.
It will be a little while before we have a conversion package but we will announce it if and when available.

Tom Irwin
Accuracy International

My understanding from talking to Tom at length last night, is that the MkIII replaced the MkII. There wasn't really a press release, they just started shipping them.

The main difference between the MkII and MkIII is the three position AW safety and shroud. They do not have the extended spigot mount like the new US AICS.

Tom is a great guy to talk to and really took the time to explain the whole MkII to MkIII conversion. I will be sending in my bolt as soon as they are setup to do it. I am looking forward to some of the new stuff coming out.

Pic up. Can't wait to shoot it. Now to decide which reticle on a S&B 5-25. I was sold on P4F but now leaning toward MSR. I plan to start shooting tactical rifle comps in the states surrounding Missouri.

Craig

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 21Bravo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Pic up. Can't wait to shoot it. Now to decide which reticle on a S&B 5-25. I was sold on P4F but now leaning toward MSR. I plan to start shooting tactical rifle comps in the states surrounding Missouri.

Craig </div></div>

I hate you.

Is the mkIII a significant upgrade over the mkII?

Right now I have a chance on one at about $150 off for a mkII or wait until the mkIII's come in at regular price but it is not a small purchase for me and I doubt I would ever upgrade the safety if I went with the mkII. Is there any issues with the 2 position safety or are there other upgrades (other than safety and spigot) that the mkIII will come with?

Thanks
Kane

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: z1_bam</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is the mkIII a significant upgrade over the mkII?

Is there any issues with the 2 position safety or are there other upgrades (other than safety and spigot) that the mkIII will come with?</div></div>

The only real difference I have been told is the safety and shroud. I don't believe there are any other changes. The AE MkIII has the same spigot receiver as the AE MkII.

Really it comes down to the safety. If you plan on using the rifle in a manner that will have you moving with a round in the chamber, then it's a big deal. If not, then it's not. If you shoot on a square range, then you will probably never experience an issue with the MkI/II safety. It is only an issue for me because when the rifle comes out of the trunk, I bolt up a cartridge and place the selector on safe. I have gotten in the habit of moving with my thumb locking down the bolt so that I don't accidentally kick a cartridge out. I would rather not have to worry about that.

Thanks for the quick reply!

Well I pulled the trigger so to speak on a mkII as even hunting I don't chamber anything until I'm ready to shoot and I saved about $250 so hopefully everything is going to be good to go
smile.gif

For those that care its going to be a 20" tan non-folder and should be here next week! (coming from Wolverine Supplies, the Canadian distributor)

Stacey or Tom...

Has the topic of a long action AE ever come up? Seems like the sales of the AE series is proof enough that there is a desire and market to have a rifle with 80% of the AW features at a lower cost.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Anchor Zero Six</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Stacey or Tom...

Has the topic of a long action AE ever come up? Seems like the sales of the AE series is proof enough that there is a desire and market to have a rifle with 80% of the AW features at a lower cost.

</div></div>
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: student 86</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Or even the short action with a magnum chamber? </div></div>

Did you guys not read the thread? There's pictures of both 3/4 of the way down the page. They're already passed the point of just being an idea.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: redneckbmxer24</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Anchor Zero Six</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Stacey or Tom...

</div></div>
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: student 86</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Or even the short action with a magnum chamber? </div></div>

Did you guys not read the thread? There's pictures of both 3/4 of the way down the page. They're already passed the point of just being an idea. </div></div>

Yes I read the thread and the pics that LW posted are of 7mm WSM and 338AI which I beleive are both short action rounds. Good news for student 86 but I was more wondering about a long action in 300 WM (not WSM) or possibly 338 LM (not AI).

Having owned a AWM and AE MK1 and MK2 I fully understand the differences between the AW and AE series and what attributes to the difference in pricing. I think the AW is worth every penny if you really NEED a rifle built to that level. As I said I have also owned AE's and think they offer a lot of value for those not needing the features of the AW (which I do not) so it would be nice to have a LA version of the AE. IMO there would be a niche in price point between the 300/338 TRG and the AWM/SM that such a rifle would fit into.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Anchor Zero Six</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: redneckbmxer24</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Anchor Zero Six</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Stacey or Tom...

</div></div>

Did you guys not read the thread? There's pictures of both 3/4 of the way down the page. They're already passed the point of just being an idea. </div></div>

Yes I read the thread and the pics that LW posted are of 7mm WSM and 338AI which I beleive are both short action rounds. Good news for student 86 but I was more wondering about a long action in 300 WM (not WSM) or possibly 338 LM (not AI).

Having owned a AWM and AE MK1 and MK2 I fully understand the differences between the AW and AE series and what attributes to the difference in pricing. I think the AW is worth every penny if you really NEED a rifle built to that level. As I said I have also owned AE's and think they offer a lot of value for those not needing the features of the AW (which I do not) so it would be nice to have a LA version of the AE. IMO there would be a niche in price point between the 300/338 TRG and the AWM/SM that such a rifle would fit into.

</div></div>

The 7mm WSM is a short-action round, but the second rifle shown in .338 AI is indeed a long-action receiver. I guarantee you that you're not the first person to mention those desires to AI, nor the last...and like everything else, they'll build an AE Magnum if and when they're ready to do so. Nothing to do for it but to wait...or use the time to save more money and buy an AX.

Good idea about the AE long action AND short magnum. Can i share an idea, a short magnum AW and a long action non-magnum in both the AE and AW for calibers like the 6.5-284 and good old 30-06. I would buy them right now, an AW in 300 RSAUM, and an AE in 6.5-284 and pay for them with my soul, or just sell my wife's car.
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Anchor Zero Six</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
Yes I read the thread and the pics that LW posted are of 7mm WSM and 338AI which I beleive are both short action rounds. Good news for student 86 but I was more wondering about a long action in 300 WM (not WSM) or possibly 338 LM (not AI).</div></div>

.338AI is a long action. Similar ballistics to .338AI with a smaller bolt face IIRC.

Love this place...always learn something new. I "thought" 338 AI was a short magnum 338 along the lines of 300wsm.

As of now I'm set up for 300wm but have been considering 338LM next. Since I'm not invested in 338LM (in regards to reloading equipment) yet what would the pros and cons of 338 AI vs LM be?

Better yet I'll use the search engine but if anyone had a link to a relavant thread it would be appreciated.

Yes the .338AI which is pictured is actually a proto-type AEM "Magnum" Long Action which who knows what will become of it. The .338AI round is not just available currently but I understand some of the reamers are starting to show up on a reamer site or two. This round is definitely a long action, runs off a standard magnum bolt face, non belted and runs great with about 5% less performance as compared to the .338LM. If it becomes available in 2012 it would be really nice to be able to operate a .338 which don't eat you out of house and home to enjoy. Oh and it runs in the .300WM magazines very nicely also.

Bringing this back to life. Anything new regarding a potential release of the "AEM" pictured on page 1 of this thread? Would love to see a long action / magnum version of the AE rifle; 300 WM or 338 Lapua.

Kinda off topic here but with the talk about AE pricing vs AW pricing, what really makes the AX so good that guys forego the AE or AW for it? I understand it's new and has fancy skins but underneath isn't it just an AW? And with the new AE skins...it's a tough sell for me at least.

With the AX you are really paying for a forward rail system. If you don't need the forward rail system (night vision, laser designators, etc) then the AE will save you some bucks.

I believe the only reason you still see the AW produced going forward is to fill contracts. The AX is the flagship .308 in the AI lineup.