AI AW Coatings. Why not?

KiwiShtr

Sergeant
Minuteman
Aug 3, 2009
Advance, MO.
Hi all.
Ive been looking around the site for options/best practice on coating my AW. One thing that I have noticed, is that there arent a heck of alot of AW's that have had any additional coatings done to them (cerakote, duracote etc). I know there are alot of ADub's out there. Is it because of their cost? Will it affect resale value? Or is the rifle just "that good" that it doesnt need it?

Personnaly, I was just looking into doing a single colour cerakote. What are your thoughts?

Cheers all.

Re: AI AW Coatings. Why not?

Well, I have not coated any of my three AI's, but that is only because I have not had time to do it right. Krylon will wear off, hose off with carb cleaner and a bit of elbow grease, so no worries on resale value, but no one ever sells theirs, do they?

I may get one multicam'ed in ceracote by a friend, but Krylon is King.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carnivore</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> Krylon is King. </div></div>
Well only having one centerfire rifle I will be using it for hunting as well, and thats why Im kryloning mine.

Yea Ive noticed ALOT of the AIAE and AICS systems have been done, just not that many of the AW's. I was looking to steer away from Krylon initally and go with a base of Cerakote and go from there. Just wondering why not many have coated their AW's.

I think thats because of resale. Could be wrong or maybe the fact that many more people own an AICS then an AIAW or even AIAE

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: beenjammin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">My AW is custom painted, but I left it at the skins and did not paint anything else. </div></div>

Of the AW's that I have seen done, the skins seems to be the main thing coated. I know of the pro's to cerakoting. What would be the con's? Im guessing that colour would be personnal preference above anything else and would afftect resale. I totally agree with not many people ever selling them, but from tme to time they have come up for sale. I have a 300wm AW and intend to pass it down to my kids as I know itll out last me. So I guess the personal preference question is answered.

It might have something to do with the fact that the action is bonded to the chassis and any heat cure coating could affect the material used for that.

Remember the AWs are bonded to the frame.....not to sure what the Cerakote etc would do to it. Hell I've love to get my AT Ionbonded across the entire chassis.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It might have something to do with the fact that the action is bonded to the chassis and any heat cure coating could affect the material used for that. </div></div>

It isn't that hot.

OP - PM 'Oregonshooter' or catch him at Oregonshooter / Certified NIC Cerakoter

Jim already sprayed out my Les Baer which looks great, and I will have him spray out my AW too when I get my barrel back from GAP.

Good luck