• #0001 Limited edition launch patch (only 200 available)

Grab a limited edition patch and use code AMERICA24 for 20% off all merch

Grab your patch

AI AX308 Grip mods?

I put sam’s kit on mine this summer. Fit and finish is great 👍
C241347A-A476-40E1-BC91-4A00EEF7A5FA.jpeg

I have the GTAC kit. I haven't laid hands on Sam's. The GTAC kit was $385 a couple of years ago and uses salvaged AI grip panels. The AR grip adapter screws onto the backbone using a couple of screws. Based on what you can see in this thread I would venture to say it is less refined than Sam's design and bound to be less durable.
I have the GTAC kit. Seems solid to me but I also haven’t laid my hands on Sam’s either. I am really happy with the GTAC and I think it looks nicer just because it looks like it belongs with the rifle. Sam’s version while nicer has the vision logo (can be deleted?) from what I can tell and looks like an add on to me. If I were I to get the vision mod, I think it would be nicer to just get the entire chassis system which is very nice. Having the ergo grip vs the stock AI grip is worth it though just from a comfort level for me either way.

The GTAC uses a machined trigger guard and a modified set of AI plastic grip panels.

The Vision grip is a fully machined AL7075 clamshell design, fully integrated trigger guard and AR grip tang, with an optional adjustable thumb rest on either (or both) sides of the panels.
I’d the vision grip design available for AX rem 700 chassis?

I’d the vision grip design available for AX rem 700 chassis?
In the description it says it does.

In the description it says it does.
I don’t see rem 700 chassis specific
I don’t see where it mentions the REM 700 chassis.

I can tell you right now that the panels in the pic won't fit an AICS chassis. There's no trigger safety cutout, and the bolt knob cutout is too small. (It wouldn't be too hard to modify one though to make it work and you'd only have to do one of the sides). Also considering that the designer said less than 3 months ago that there were no plans for an AICS version, I'd guess not. @samb300 ....are these still AI rifles only?

I can tell you right now that the panels in the pic won't fit an AICS chassis. There's no trigger safety cutout, and the bolt knob cutout is too small. (It wouldn't be too hard to modify one though to make it work and you'd only have to do one of the sides). Also considering that the designer said less than 3 months ago that there were no plans for an AICS version, I'd guess not. @samb300 ....are these still AI rifles only?
Is that the only modification that would have to be made? Doesn’t seem like too much trouble, just wondering if it would actually clamp on the AICS.

I did not know there was a safety cut out on the AICS. Figured they would’ve fit regardless.

I had to talk them into making me a set with no holes for the thumb shelf For my AXMC. I think I am one of the very few sets out there. I could be wrong about that to.

Is that the only modification that would have to be made? Doesn’t seem like too much trouble, just wondering if it would actually clamp on the AICS.
Yep, that should be about it. The AI rifle chassis has projections where the rear actions screws go that the AICS version doesn't, but except for a possible slight gap at the top, those shouldn't affect anything. The mounting screw locations and rear tube size are the same. I don't think the vision panels have an access hole for the rear AICS action screw, so you might have to drill that too...or just take the panels off to access. I've used AICS plastic grip panels on an AI rifle before and except for the slight gaps left by the bolt handle and safety cutouts and needing to deflect the plastic ever so slightly around the action screw projections, they fit and worked just fine.

There isn't an R700 version of the AI Vision grip panels at this time, and I can't guarantee it would work to modify/Dremel the AT/AX/AO version of the grip panels to get it to work on an R700.

So after much consideration I decided to pick up a conversion kit from Gtac today. Got lucky and they had the color I needed in stock. This will go on my AICS long action and once I have it installed I’ll update this thread for those members that are interested in an AICS compatible kit.