• It's Hunting Season: Show Us Your Rack!

Hunting season is finally here and we want to see pictures of your rack! Show us what you've got and we'll throw in a few t-shirts to people that send pics 👀

View thread
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Alternative to Polaris Ranger?

MtnCreek

Moderater
Minuteman
Jan 6, 2012
Best bang for buck on 6 passenger SxS? 570 Ranger or ??? It will just be for light duty use. Basically wife hauling kids around. Easy to get in and out of and enough power to pull a steep hill with a load of people. Thanks.

I have a 2019 Mule Pro Fx (820 CC). I have the single bench model, it sits 3 adults. I wanted the huge bed, you can get one with 2 bench seats, smaller bed.
It's top end is 48mph, so not particularly fast, but it comes 4wd, a low range, a selectable rear locker. With decent tires, it'll climb anything. It's quiet.

Reactions: Ravenworks
Have had multiple Rangers over the years but never a 570. For 6 folks, I'd want the 1000 for the extra power but maybe if smaller kids the 570 might be ok. Test drive for sure though before making decision.

Have also recently been looking at the Can Am Defender 6x6 w/ long bed but just don't know if I want to put $20k into something like that.

Ive had both and say Can-Am is better. I have the Defender Max XMR and can ride 6, loaded down with rifles, ammo, bags, ice chests, and alot of other stuff on extended hunts or rides.
The XMR has factory snorkels and a gear reduction for Low range. Hi is the same as other models.
The Engine is a 1000, but you can get the 800 also. Id stay away from any SxS in the 500-700cc range. You wont be happy with power.
20191002_091054.jpg

Reactions: camocorvette
I vote Can Am Defender. I could have picked any I wanted back in 2016 and the Defender destroyed everything. Very roomy, ergonomic feel, easy to get in an out of, not overly loud. Works like a utility style machine but rides like a sporty one. I use mine practically every day. I need to sell my ATV as it just sits there. If you ride public trails with width restrictions you may have to look at something else. I like the sporty John Deere's and Can Am Commanders. The Defender doesn't feel like your riding in a sardine can with a bus seat. You can get into them cheaper if you start at their entry models. They are much more refined than a lot of the others. Some just seem like cheap, loud go carts.

I have a brand new 2020 Polaris Ranger Crew 1000 XP "Northstar Edition" with fewer than 30 hours on the clock.

I wish I had bought a Can Am. I read a review where the Ranger beat the Defender, so I went with the "Pro's" pick, and I regret it. $26K better spent elsewhere.

It's not *horrible*, by any means, but my new slogan for all things Polaris is: "Polaris. You can get better, but you can't pay more!"

• Haha
Reactions: camocorvette
i had an itch earlier this year for a side by side. hadnt had one before and thought they look pretty cool. the more i looked though for me, i came back around to a new atv for now. when im back looking at SxS again, i'll be looking at a used tacoma. for the prices they want for those SxS with what they max out at in payload and towing, i could easily get an old tacoma and heavily modofy it

i had an itch earlier this year for a side by side. hadnt had one before and thought they look pretty cool. the more i looked though for me, i came back around to a new atv for now. when im back looking at SxS again, i'll be looking at a used tacoma. for the prices they want for those SxS with what they max out at in payload and towing, i could easily get an old tacoma and heavily modofy it
Tacoma’s must be a lot cheaper where you live than where I do.

I’ve got a range 1000 six seat. If I did it again I’d go two three seats, six gets hard to maneuver in the woods and nearly impossible through the woods with a trailer. Other than that I don’t have any complaints. It’s never lacked power and I’ll it’s needed was routine maintenance and one CV boot which a stick took out but that’s an often enough occurance with anything you’re driving through the woods.

Reactions: Codiekfx400
I've had a Honda Pioneer 1000-5 for 4 years now. I absolutely love it. You can fit 5 people for riding around, and as others have said- it's still maneuverable in the woods since it is no longer than a standard SxS. I put a cargo rack on top for equipment when I have the rear seats in use.

Reactions: JbBooks
I’ve had mine for a year and haven’t had a lick of trouble out of it, it’s a Honda, they just run and if Honda would have got into the sxs game when everyone else did....Polaris who??

Reactions: plong
Problem with the Honda is that if you torture 2 people in the "back seat", you lose your cargo bed for the privilege.

If you don't need to seat more than 3, the Honda is awesome. But if you want a REALY 3x3, Honda's got nuttin'.

Well I’m fortunate enough, (or cursed), to sell all major brands of sxs’s for a living, and while all have there pros and cons, I can safely say for all around bang for the buck, you’ll have an almost impossible time beating a Defender Max HD8 DPS model. The mule pro’s are fantastic machines to work out of, but when you add in trails, they give up performance to the Can Am’s. The Ranger Crew SOHC 1000 model is a great price point model as well, but lacks the space inside the cabin, as well as the fit and finish is noticeable in comparison to the XP models, as well as the Can Am’s. Just my opinion, but you drive one, and you’ll definitely be able to tell instantly.

Well I’m fortunate enough, (or cursed), to sell all major brands of sxs’s for a living, and while all have there pros and cons, I can safely say for all around bang for the buck, you’ll have an almost impossible time beating a Defender Max HD8 DPS model. The mule pro’s are fantastic machines to work out of, but when you add in trails, they give up performance to the Can Am’s. The Ranger Crew SOHC 1000 model is a great price point model as well, but lacks the space inside the cabin, as well as the fit and finish is noticeable in comparison to the XP models, as well as the Can Am’s. Just my opinion, but you drive one, and you’ll definitely be able to tell instantly.
My biggest gripe with the ranger is the transmission. Very hilly here and even in L, I have to ride the brake down some hills. Can you point me toward some with a different type of transmission or engine braking? Thanks.

Mahindra Roxor...

1595930105087.png

but really the only experience I have with these things is a friends Ranger I borrow when I go out west....

1595930381074.png

I dont know what model it is or anything about it other than driving it every once in awhile.

My friend who owns it pretty much lets his teen son drive it so just about every plastic body fascia that could grab a branch or root is torn away. Riding in it when it was new we left plastic all over the woods :(

Thing is beat to shit but I have had it LOADED and it pulled all our shit through woods trails.

Way my friend talked about it everything is "extra".......skid plates? Extra!, Cabib cover? Extra!

My biggest gripe with the ranger is the transmission. Very hilly here and even in L, I have to ride the brake down some hills. Can you point me toward some with a different type of transmission or engine braking? Thanks.
My Can-Am Defender has some type of active hill descent. When Im going down a steep hillside, I dont even have to press the brake. The more the stuff i have loaded on the vehicle, the more the hill descent works.

My Can-Am Defender has some type of active hill descent. When Im going down a steep hillside, I dont even have to press the brake. The more the stuff i have loaded on the vehicle, the more the hill descent works.
I like the sound of that. With ranger I can stay in the throttle a little and it does fine. If I have to come all the way off the throttle it goes into freewheel and speeds up pretty quick before getting on the brake.

@MtnCreek

Since u do some farm stuff....
Especially when you go to move the shine down to market it...
The big K Mule Pro with the sliding rear seat gives you a bigger load capacity.
When you arent taking passengers around the property.
For pure crew ride, Can Am would be hard to beat, but, that K-Mule slide rear seat is better for my farm use.

The hunting club has shown me the other models mentioned in the topic, and, I have fondled one Roxor a bit. Btw Roxor and 81 CJ5.... nahhhhh, Mule works better on the farm than those two, for most everything, when you need to get people in and out, or need to haul say, rocks or sand, down a skinny trail to a pig wallow hole.

Outside of those two, K Mule Pro or Can Am, the rest (to me), are advertising trying to sell you a SUV for Soccer Moms.
The rest of them dont really ride that good, some have more noise than others, lack the power, lack load space, and are expensive to fix.
Thanks to the hunting club, I've gotten to trailer several out that spent a month in the shop bc the work load , in the shop..... read between the lines...
Sucks to have a minimum 10k ride out of service for a month in the middle of hunting season... when they need it.
I rent them a rhino or golf cart at that point, listen to them cry or curse...

Mule Pro for the work edge (gotta get the shine out to market).
Can Am for the pure ride and accessories edge.

My .o2222

I vote CanAm. I have an HD10 Defender that I've used nearly every day for about a year and half now. Before I had a Polaris ranger 900 and completely wore it out at around 25,000 miles. Everything on the canam is higher quality and much more thought out than the polaris. I looked at the XP 1000 Ranger, but it still has some of the same weak points as the 900. Granted, for your intended purpose most brands will hold up fine for you and do the job.

The mid-size Rangers will comfortably fit one adult and two kids in each row (or two adults and one small child), but asking more than that will result in being cramped.

The 570 is great for puttering around, and should pull hills just fine. It is not going to hot rod you around though. You will struggle for a bit to get it above 45 MPH...which for many is much faster than they'll ever need, but we take SxS on the highway between properties quite frequently.

My F-I-L has a 570 crew, and I have a 900 standard three seater. As far as getting around muddy and rough terrain on the ranch, there is no comparison. The 570 is fine on most obstacles, but it will meet its match on the ranch during really muddy days. As far as the point of diminishing returns, I think it occurs after the 900 classes of machines (working machines, not play toys). Essentially, the only difference between mine and a 1000 is 14 horsepower...which brings the price up $4K.

i have an almost 20 year old ranger 500 that i have not been nice to. AT ALL. its noisy, its quirky, but it gets the jobs done that i need it to. Currently been spraying Sendero with it in 105 degree heat. its got blue dye all over it.

i just cant bring myself to go buy a SXS thats newer than 8-10 years old. and not for the $15k-25k they are bringing, especially when i know i am going to run that bitch through heavy black gumbo mud, uneven farm ground as fast a i can go, pile fence posts and everything else in the bed until it squats down like a german shepard, covered from front to back in salt meal, range cubes, hay, and cow spit/blood. Dragging brush under it, across the top, and along every side.

i guess if i wanted a status symbol and could afford it, i would. but first day out at the ranch is going to just get hammered on. its just not worth it.

I have the most expensive ranger made. Has cab air heat, power windows, ride command, big stereo with 10” sub. I wish I’d never bought it. Seats suck a big fat cock. You don’t notice just how terrible they are until you’ve rode it for 30 minutes straight. Have had it back to the dealer 3 times in 200 miles over the clutch not disengaging and it keeps going when you let off the gas. Dangerous as a mf. I think they finally have that fixed, but I don’t trust it now. I would have to stab the brakes hard or turn off the key to get it to stop. If you stabbed the brakes hard enough it would kill the motor, like a stick shift, direct drive. I just about ran over my 2yo daughter the first time it happened, and luckily I was driving and was strong enough to stab the brakes hard enough to kill it. I didn’t have any idea what was happening so I didn’t have the presence of mind to shut off the key. If it would have been my wife, I don’t even want to think about what would have happened.

Reactions: madppcs
Reactions: TheHorta
Ill get pics when it comes back this week from having its internal fire supression system installed.

Mk46 fits like it was specifically made for it when sitting in the passanger seat. One thing people dont notice is that there are pintle mount holes on either corner of the rear bed cage rack designed to drop in and lock so you can use the same swing arm assembly to have a passanger sitting in the back (when the seats are in) and have another gun there as well.

Reactions: MarinePMI
View attachment 7385612
View attachment 7385613

I see your MK46 and raise you one M134.

Deutschland loses again! 😛

Yeah yeah.

The problem with that on the MRZR is its way too long/wide to be mounted effectively on the passanger door. The ROF is entirely too high and there is limited ammo carrying capacity in the entire vehicle.

For what its meant to be used for (squad manuever) the Mk46 is perfect for it.

I could see that on the DAGOR though as it has a legit ring turret.

Reactions: TheHorta