• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

AMP annealer sending brass in to be tested

briscoetab

Sergeant
Minuteman
Sep 17, 2011
west texas
I just ordered an AMP annealer from grafs and I am wondering about the necessity of sending brass in to be tested. I know you don't have to but I think theyrecommend doing it just to check that your brass matches the settings.

Are most of you who own this machine sending brass in or are you just running with their settings? If your sending brass in how many of you are seeing results that differ from what they already have? I'm assuming most results match what they have for common cartridges because I assume they have had quite a few people send in brass for common cartridges and you would see several results on their settings page and most cartridges only have 1 or 2 settings.

Thanks in advance for any replies.

I don't use their settings because brass varies from lot to lot. I use a 650 deg tempilstik and found through testing that annealing closer to 650 deg produces better accuracy than closer to 750.

So 918V your saying you don't send them brass to tell you the setting, you come up with your own setting? They say using the vickers hardness testing they really don't see very much lot to lot variation and that was what I was wondering if that holds true to what people are seeing by sending their brass in.

I would think the actual lab testing on the brass would be better than using tempilaq and coming up with my own setting? Plus it's free minus the cost of a few pieces of fired brass. I just don't want to mess with sending the brass in and waiting for results before using it if people who sent brass in are using the same settings they already have listed.

AMP acknowledges that brass varies from lot to lot. That's why they offer different settings for different lots of Lapua brass. Second, brass varies quite a bit from lot to lot. If you take different lots of LC brass several years apart and anneal them you'll see.

Ive been using this machine for a year now and actually tested different settings for how they affect accuracy and ES. You haven't. You are hypothesizing based on manufacturer's claims.

You are correct I have no experience with this machine but the manufacturer does and I was basing my comments off of their results. You're right they acknowledge lot to lot variation but they also acknowledge they are seeing very consistent results lot to lot and it sounds like lot to lot variation isn't the norm but the exception. Likely I will just take there advice and send my brass in to confirm settings.

From AMP's website about lot to lot variation
"In general we have found excellent consistency. We have, for example, tested two batches of Winchester 308W brass manufactured twenty years apart which needed identical programming. There have been exceptions however. For example, we have tested two different lots of Norma 308 brass which needed quite different power levels. When this occurs, we note the difference on our Settings page. We always recommend that customers send brass for testing even if we have previously done the calibration. This is a free service, and guarantees the accuracy of their results."

I have no idea how long it takes that's kind of the reason I was asking if it was necessary because I figured between shipping from Texas to New Zealand plus testing and posting the results it would take at least 2-3 weeks if not quite a bit longer (that's pure guess on my part).

Im mainly going to use it for 6.5 CM but my friend has a 6 dasher (ordered the inserts for both) and I also have 300 rum that I load for but the insert was sold out for that one.

The annealer is on its way, I don't have it yet. That is the other resason I was asking the question because I want to use it as soon as I get it but if there is a high likelihood that I need a different setting than what they have I want to wait till I get the results back from them. I'm going to send the brass now to get tested and just wait till I get the results to use it.

i will let you know what I think as soon as I get to use it. They are also releasing an automatic feeder for it but it is still under development. It can be fitted onto the current machine though and it's supposed to only be around 250.

You are correct I have no experience with this machine but the manufacturer does and I was basing my comments off of their results. You're right they acknowledge lot to lot variation but they also acknowledge they are seeing very consistent results lot to lot and it sounds like lot to lot variation isn't the norm but the exception. Likely I will just take there advice and send my brass in to confirm settings.

From AMP's website about lot to lot variation
"In general we have found excellent consistency. We have, for example, tested two batches of Winchester 308W brass manufactured twenty years apart which needed identical programming. There have been exceptions however. For example, we have tested two different lots of Norma 308 brass which needed quite different power levels. When this occurs, we note the difference on our Settings page. We always recommend that customers send brass for testing even if we have previously done the calibration. This is a free service, and guarantees the accuracy of their results."

I found their settings excessive. Accuracy went to shit. I have always found best accuracy with 1x fired brass, so that's what I try to replicate. Hence the 650 deg crayon. That's a good starting point and you will never see a split neck if you anneal to 650.

The machine so precise that you can tune your load using neck hardness as a variable. You can arrive at the same seating pressure using different neck tension settings just by varrying the annealing time and/ or annealing after sizing or before sizing or both. It is so easy to use even stupid people can anneal.

Well that was my whole decision in buying it. I feel to stupid to mess with torches all the time so thought I would pay for them to tell me what to set it at and all I have to do is push a button.

i would just continue to send them off like I have done before but sometimes I need the brass right then and don't have time to wait (although the guy that does it on here is freaky fast at getting your brass back to you).

All I'm telling you is that sending your brass in is unnecessary. If you get a 650deg tempilstik you'll have instant results. Tempilstik is not the same thing as tempilaq. Tempilstik is far easier to use and read.

I understand the difference between the tempiliq and tempilstik I've just never used the tempilstik because you couldn't apply it before and applying it after the brass left the flame wasn't giving you the point the brass hit 650 or 750 depending on which product you used.

i understand what you are saying now as well. I may try your method.

I have one from the first batch they made. Been using the recommended settings for brass brand and neck thickness. I have had no issues with a loss of accuracy. ES is consistent with each loading.

I'm looking forward to using it, weather I use the exact settings they provide or not. I was only using a regular propane torch and drill timing each shell on stopwatch. I think I was doing an ok job but no way it was real consistent.

Im getting really big upgrade to my reloading setup, I'm getting the AMP annealer and the FX120I with the auto trickler. Can't wait.