• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Anshutz features - which are worthwhile

medicjim

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jun 24, 2002
New Jersey, USA
I was handling a model 64 and really liked the feel of the action and the short bolt throw. I went to the Anshutz website as well as champion (which appears to be the US importer) and all I got was confused.

If a want a accurate rifle with a match trigger...built to play in the field as well as the bench...no fancy stock, no diopter sights...just a great shooting rifle sporting an optic....can thoose of you that own one suggest which units I should look at?

The 1416 D KL Classic Sporting Rifle 22 LR looks like something I'd be happy with, but are there better actions, triggers or subtle features I wouldn't want to miss out on?

Is the comb height adequate with a stock pack on it...for an optic, or do I need the more elaborate MP R to achieve that?

What does the 54 action get me that warrants an extra $700 over the 64 rifles? Any insight or first hand experience would be much appreciated.

http://www.championshooters.com/Anschutz-sp.htm

Re: Anshutz features - which are worthwhile

I love the 54 action, (mine is an 1807). Great target rifle. The 54 actions are the most accurate 22s I've ever seen.

The 64 is more of a sporting action, in my opinion are not near as accurate as the 54.

In fact from the CZ 452s I've seen they are every bit as accurate as the 64s but somewhat cheaper.

If its total accuracy you're lookng for, I'd go the 54 route. If its just an every day shooter the 64 would work, but so will the CZ.

I used the 1807 when I was shooting ISU. I use the CZ in light rifle or sporting rifle CMP/NRA
matches.

To test them, use the 50 Meter ISU target at 50 meters, several rounds with each. Past 50 your dealing with wind and other enviormental conditions. You'll see the difference.

I own and shoot a 54.18 in McMillan Master Silhouette stock, a 64 MPR factory stock with butt stock pad, and 1827 Fortner in factory biathlon stock.

Although the 54.18 is touted to be more accurate than the 64 action, I don't see it in the type shooting I do. The Fortner is very specialized and perfect for what it is designed for.

After having owned and fired both 54 and 64 action, if I had to choose one only, it would be the 64 MPR.

I fire the 64 MPR 100-300 yards monthly and it groups much better than the 54.18 beyond 100 yards.

P5070013.jpg

Anschutz5418withHarrelltuner.jpg

This is my experience and I know others will have different experiences.

Good luck in your search.

AR

What you have described you are looking for is the 64 MPR. The 64 MPR is the most accurate Anschutz out there. I know it is because I just bought one.........actually I am joking and that is a slam to some who will not get the barb.
They are very accurate, more accurate than all of the CZ's I have seen, including mine. We have a very difficult tactical steel match at my club and I post the link here a lot but the match reports are better info on rifle accuracy than most of the groups I have seen posted in this forum: http://www.snipershide.com/forum/ubbthreads.php?ubb=showflat&Number=2390014#Post2390014

We don't see many 54s at the match, there have been one or 2 so I can't definatively say that the 64 is more accurate. The shooter could have been the factor in the equation and likely was. The 64 does appear to be all a man shoudl ever need. The 54s I have seen appeared to me to be a bit unwieldy. I wouldn't feel too overburdened to take the 64MPR in the squirrel woods.

Thats a 64 , Bud , I have heard that from the die hard Annie fans , that the ONE to get is any 54 , as sooner or later you will get one , as they are better than the 64 .

Later Chris

Anschutz are akin to AIs. A 64, much like an AIAE, is a damned fine rifle...but like the AW, the 54 is just plain better. Better trigger, faster lock time, smoother action. There is no finer rimfire action, in both the sporter and target versions.

I have two 54 actions. 1813L and a 54MS the 5018 trigger is one of the best in the world. Adjusts from single to two stage and down to 2.1oz. The actions as smooth as glass. Spend the extra money its well worth it. My buddy shot mine last week and went out and bought one that day he saw so impressed.

Late 54 actions have the best two stage trigger. These triggers can be found on the 1807,1813,1907,1913,2013 and some 17xx models. 54 actions have been slowly changing since the '50s. Earlier actions had triggers which are tedious to adjust to break consistently. Best way to identify these 17xx,18xx and 19xx 54 actions which have the later triggers is to look for the swept back bolt handle whereas the earlier actions had the straight handle. Also triggers and bolts between these two eras don't interchange. Having written all this, try the triggers for yourself first before buying. Trigger break is sometime more an opinion than a measurable quality. Have fun shopping.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Quote:</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Is there a basic 'sporter' setup available with the better action?</div></div>

The 1710 series. They are magazine fed 54 action sporters. The most most commonly seen are the 1710d kl with Monte Carlo Stock. This version is very popular in the Silhouette community as it is light (tapered barrel) well suited to a scope with the high Monte Carlo Stock and extremely accurate.

I have a 1710 D HB. Very accurate. The stock is not as good as the Monte Carlo for a scope but passable.

BTW for scope rings, Leupold makes ok 1" rings for an Anschutz rail. For 30mm rings the Kelbly are my favorite (very good indeed). Alternately, Diversified Innovative products makes a very nice Picatinny rail that will fit on the receiver but raise your sight line.

I have scored higher in 3-position and 4-position competition using a 64-action than many using the more expensive 54-action.

I now shoot a 64-MPR and 54.18 a lot.

I can shoot a little better with the 54.18 than the 64. I do not plan to buy another 64 because the 5018 trigger of the 54 series is perfection. Also... my last 64 had ejection issues.

Champions Choice is my preference VS Champion Shooters.

Can't go wrong with a new Anschutz from Champions Choice, but Anschutz quality has gone down hill a little in recent years.

AnschutzNerd

I also shoot an MPR. I like it a lot. The only gripes I have about it are the mag release is hard to hit so I'm having a buddy machine an extension. It doesn't come with sling attachments from the factory, and the trigger is so much better than my centerfire rigs that it takes me a little dry firing to remember when I transition from one to the other. I only shoot Wolf Match (not extra) and at 50 yards it is a .3" gun, and hovers around 1" at 100. I have shot it out to 300.

I went through quite a few .22's before I just broke down and bought the MPR. I'm happy with it. I have never shot a 54 action so I can't comment on those.