• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Hunting & Fishing Any T/C users?

usngoat

Sergeant
Minuteman
Mar 7, 2008
HI
Anyone here use a Thompson Center for hunting at all? Have been looking at the pro huner in 30-06 and think I am gonna get one. Have been very pleased with my contender in .223.

Re: Any T/C users?

I have used the Contender pistol, the Encore pistol, and the Encore rifle. I have been very happy with all of them. If you want even better performance, you might want to contact J.D. Jones at SSK Industries in Wintersville, OH. He not only makes custom barrels that are even more accurate than the stock ones, but he also makes custom barrels for calibers that T/C does not chamber, including some for proprietary cartridges of his own design. He makes muzzle brakes for them too.

I have several Encore and Contender frames, and many barels. As well as several custom stocks, all TH style.

I really like the idea of the TC single shot system. It is simple, and it works great. And accuracy is more than good enough for me. I am a hunter, not a paper pucher. And I like to hunt with single shots.

I also like the way the rifle fits me so well, and handles so well. Without paying $1,000's of dollars for a custom rig. And I also like the versatility of different barrels.

I call it the poor man's best solution. And I am a poor man. So it fits me perfectly. Tom.

033.jpg

2010Racoon.jpg
Encores and Contenders, both rifles and handguns, are what I do the great majority of my hunting with. I have several Pro Hunter barrels and like them. I also have 24 and 26 inch barrels which I also like. The 24 inch tapered barrels are perhaps a little handier than the 28 inch barrels but you get a little more velocity from the longer barrel.

The racoon was taken at a range of 270 yards with my 300 Win. Mag. Pro Hunter barrel.

20" 375 H&H on a Pro Hunter for me. I also have a OTT 14/221 Walker barrel for it, wish I could afford more bullets for it. I have used 308, 300wm, 223, 204, and the list goes on... My take on them is you can get a factory barrel that shoots well about 2/3 of the time. I have seen some off center chambers, super long throats, and other problems on some. The nice thing is, if it doesn't shoot to your standards, the barrels have high resale prices. My 20 inch barrel carries like a 16 incher due to how far back it sits in the receiver and is the handiest rifle I own. Weight is 7lbs exactly fully rigged with a weaver rail, synthetic stock set, burris rings, and a Leupold ultralight 3-9x32. It is a heavy taper barrel.

You won't regret getting one. But them extra barrels are addictive.....
Sometimes u gotta buy one just because.
I have 2 encore frames,a 12ga, a .50 cal front stuffer plus 22-250, 243 n 308 rifle barrels. 22-250, 308, 7-08, 30-06, .44, .460mag, .500 mag in 15"ers. And only one contender, a super 16 in 45-70 in a carbine stock. And my wish list is longer. Again.... They're addictive, fun, and shoot minute of critter.

I use a 20" front stuffer (209x50)here in michigan.
whitetail20109point001-1.jpg

PICT0005-1.jpg

PICT0002-1.jpg

And others taken with a 15" 45 colt barrel and a 44mag 12" contender.

I agree that you can never have too many barrels. My list: a 22lr match 12", 357 max 15" 223 AI and another in the standard chamber, 17mach2 and last a full size 209x50 barrel.

I have Encore's and Contenders:

Encore pistol 243 AI, 260 Remington, 22 Hornet, 500 S&W, 308 Win and rifle barrels in 50 cal Muzzleloader and 257 Roberts Improved.

Contender pistol barrels in 17 HMR, 35 Remington, 7-30 Waters, 45-70 Gov, and 45-410.

I love em

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: beretta_man11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Got a fix for a suck ass trigger?

My buddies in in 22-250, shoots great but trigger is horrible. </div></div>

Select one of Mike Bellms' Springs , and do his Trigger job . Works wonders!

Cheers,

Bill

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: beretta_man11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Got a fix for a suck ass trigger?

My buddies in in 22-250, shoots great but trigger is horrible. </div></div>

Select one of Mike Bellms' Springs , and do his Trigger job . Works wonders!

Cheers,

Bill </div></div>

Good link,Thanks Bill !!!

My pleasure! I've done three and helped a buddy with his, and they all came out very nice. Mr. Bellm knows his T/Cs....

Bill

Someone say tenderitis??

joegood11-08214-1.jpg

OTT (OnTargetTech) 5mm Rem Mag fluted, SSK 6.5JDJ, Magna Ported SSK 309JDJ, MGM Octagon 375 Win...and an Armour Alloy 223.
thanksgiving2010031.jpg

G2 OTT 5mm Rem Mag Over/Under

jan2010009.jpg

357/44 Baine/Davis Encore
12"ish MGM 257tcu

octagon025.jpg

Same fluted OTT 5mm above
17M2 or 17HMR cant tell in the pic
SSK 257JDJ
17" OTT Fluted 20VarTarg

I assume you meant the o/u OTT.
Local guy Dave Dolin makes custom grips and does fantastic work.
thanksgiving2010027.jpg

I read somewhere on the internet you could change barrels on these things............;)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ogs</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
octagon025.jpg

Same fluted OTT 5mm above
17M2 or 17HMR cant tell in the pic
SSK 257JDJ
17" OTT Fluted 20VarTarg</div></div>

I am quite jealous. I've been thinking of picking one of these up for plinking/varmint hunting. How much did that 17" barrel set you back if you don't mind.

Be careful with a 17" barrel. I believe anything over 16" or 16-1/2" is considered a rifle barrel, and not a handgun barrel. And I believe it is illegal to have a handgun grip on a carbine length barrel. I know for sure it is illegal to have a handgun barrel(under that length) on a Carbine frame and stock. Tom.

over all length has to be less than 26 in or it becomes a title 1, but i have to admit as an avid t/c shooter with 26 different cal's for the contender; and encore with 12 i haven't once wanted a 17+" pistol barrel

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HOGGHEAD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Be careful with a 17" barrel. I believe anything over 16" or 16-1/2" is considered a rifle barrel, and not a handgun barrel. And I believe it is illegal to have a handgun grip on a carbine length barrel. I know for sure it is illegal to have a handgun barrel(under that length) on a Carbine frame and stock. Tom.
</div></div>
As far as the first part, I don't think there is any "maximum length" for a pistol barrel, so 16+ inches (or any length, for that matter) with handgun grip (and HANDGUN receiver) is legal. PLEASE show me the ATF rule(s) if I am wrong....

(Edited to add) Just re-reading the previous post, a "handgun" becomes a title 1 if overall length is greater than 26"? So that figure would effectively limit handgun barrel length to 26" minus breach-to-frame dimension, which could mean barrel length greater than 16"?

But yes, illegal to use a buttstock, or folding buttstock, with a barrel less than 16" long (SBR/SBS).

Cheers,

Bill

I bought my Contender about 20yrs ago. Right now I have 3 Super 14 barrels. 1 in 30 Herrett with a temporary 1 1/2x Redfield, 1 in 222 Rem with a Burris 2-7 and the one in the pic, the most fun. A 45/70 with a 2x Nikon. 500gr cast bullets at about 1000fps
grin.gif
. If one of those 3 barrels won't kill it, I figure I have no business shooting at it.
IMG_1081.jpg

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: WRM</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: HOGGHEAD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Be careful with a 17" barrel. I believe anything over 16" or 16-1/2" is considered a rifle barrel, and not a handgun barrel. And I believe it is illegal to have a handgun grip on a carbine length barrel. I know for sure it is illegal to have a handgun barrel(under that length) on a Carbine frame and stock. Tom.
</div></div>
As far as the first part, I don't think there is any "maximum length" for a pistol barrel, so 16+ inches (or any length, for that matter) with handgun grip (and HANDGUN receiver) is legal. PLEASE show me the ATF rule(s) if I am wrong....

(Edited to add) Just re-reading the previous post, a "handgun" becomes a title 1 if overall length is greater than 26"? So that figure would effectively limit handgun barrel length to 26" minus breach-to-frame dimension, which could mean barrel length greater than 16"?

But yes, illegal to use a buttstock, or folding buttstock, with a barrel less than 16" long (SBR/SBS).

Cheers,

Bill </div></div>

Bill I did a little more digging and it appears you are exactly right. A rifle is limited to a barrel length that must be over 16". But a handgun is not limited to any barrel length. Sorry for my mistake.

Actually I am glad you got me straightened out on this. I hve a 45-70 barrel that has a 17" barrel. And I thought I could not use it as a handgun. But now I know I can use it for a handgun barrel on my Contender frame. So thanks alot. I will be hunting with that 45-70 this year. Tom.

HOGGHEAD,

You're welcome, and I appreciate your double-checking that! I've 22lr and 375 H&H barrels that are just over 16" so I could use them as either rifle/handgun barrels. The 375's never been fired with a buttstock, and the 22LR has a folding stock on it (and is on my "Rifle" receiver). Didn't want to get caught in a bad "configuration"!

Encores are addictive - there are tremendous possibilities....

Thanks,

Bill

Wow, you guys really like your break-actions!
I know it's an old thread but TC has been through a bunch since this thread began.
I wonder how many of ya'll still frequent the forum?
I suppose I'm the new kid here and definitely addicted to the 'barrel syndrome'.
... and Joe G, I dig your collection!
Here' one of mine, a 30 Herrett ...
I'll show ya later when the server's error has cleared

Old post but then I'm old too.

Went looking for anything related to TC Encore/Contenders and found this. I got my first Encore about 20+ years ago and remember getting a 300 Win Mag from Virgin Valley along with a custom thumbhole stock. I ended up selling it a few years back and began wishing I hadn't.

I've begun a quest to buy up as many Encore/Contenders as I can find much to my wife's displeasure. I now have 2-Encore Pro Hunters, 3-Contenders G1 and 2-G2 on the way. I've also been in touch with MGM to have 4-barrels; 8" 357 Mag and 10.5" 223 Wylde for the Encore (I already have a 300 blkout and 45-70 both 16") I've also ordered a 8" 17hmr and 22 LR for the Contenders, these will go along with a 8" 45 and 10" 223. I also can't forget the 10" 357 Max.

Trying to find some good-looking wood for the G2s. Should have everything put together by Feb/Mar next year if I can just stop buying them. I really don't want to have a conversation on why we need a 4th safe ...

Timely thread resurface for me...
So, I recently got mine, a 223 Pro Hunter Max 1 Camo Encore.
Pretty cool.
I want soo bad to get a smokeless 45 cal muzzle loader barrel for it.
And of course, as many different barrels as possible.
Speaking of, how many places left are still making barrels for the Encore?
MGM and anyone else?
Everyone else left is just selling NOS?

Pretty cool.
MGM and anyone else?
I got my NOS Encore off Gunbroker. The G1's are a mixed bag of local gunshop and GB. The G2's are coming in from Haus of Arms in CO. The cost of these things are going high on GB. Good luck with the hunt. I'm done.

There might be a couple of other places for barrels but I trust MGM as I want all of mine to be threaded. If you don't need or mind non threaded then GB or FB and of course Haus of Arms. Haus would be my first stop.

Reactions: buggz
I wanted a 16" threaded deer blind encore for suppressed hunting but with frames going over $1200 that dreams getting put on hold for a while.

Haven't seen them that high but it is ridiculous. https://www.gunbroker.com/item/918814485
Aw you busted me. I should have said donors. When I was shopping I couldn't find any frames and all the donors on the market even in chambers I would never shoot were over a grand.

I wanted to do an MTM fluted barrel with some type of AR looking collapsible stock. Probably a 16-in Creedmoor or 308, lpvo, nomad-l.

I've since spent that project money on other things but hope to circle back in a year or so.

Reactions: Ironcreek
Maybe the Encore system isn't as popular as it used to be?
I don't know, I always wanted to get in, I got mine this summer, I guess I am way late?
The Encore frames handle all the original calibers of the G1 & G2 and more. The G1 is a great frame just way lighter than the G2 and the way I see it the G2 is a Encore "lite". Any way you look at it all 3 are great frames to build on..

Pretty cool.
MGM and anyone else?

Mike Belm does some barrels. Also has a decent trigger kit. E.A. Brown used to be another goto I think.