Anyone shoot a 30 378 Weatherby Magnum?

NRAShooter

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 8, 2008
Los Angeles, CA
Looking at the Sierra Reloading book and couldn't help but admire the specs for the WM. Any shoot this cartride? Supposed to be real popular with the Williamsport crowd. In a heavy barreled repeater chassis with an efficient brake should be able to launch the 240 SMK at respectable velocities?

Comments?

Re: Anyone shoot a 30 378 Weatherby Magnum?

I have a brother in law that absolutely loves his. It is a Weatherby "accumark" with a fluted stainless barrel. He is about 5'6" and weighs about 140 pounds.....I asked him if he had little mans syndrome or what? I was laughing at him until he took a doe at 460 yards with it resting on a pack.....Called the head shot and made it....I shut up after that. The rifle has the KDF muzzle break that is noisy as hell but does a great job reducing the recoil to a very manageable level.

Shot a 39 1/2 inch oryx on a once in a lifetime hunt on white sands missle range here in NM. 726 yds hit it in the left rear flank it took 2-3 wobbly hops and keeled over. When we got to him there was softball size pieces of hip / pelvis 50-60 yds away from where he was hit.

Totally devastating round. It is the same rifle your brother in law has. The brake is loud but totally necessary. It has more energy at 1000 yds than a 30-06 has at the muzzle. Take the brake off and it kills on one end and maims on the other.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rwest</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> It has more energy at 1000 yds than a 30-06 has at the muzzle.
</div></div>

That is a gross exaggeration.

Weatherby Ballistic Information

It looks like by 200yds it is already down to energy levels that you can reach at the muzzle with '06 handloads.

.30-378 is an extremely fast .30 caliber though.

friend shots one with a broughton barrel on it and it shoots damn good but cant shoot it more than 30 rounds before it starts to foul the barrel has no muzzle brake and is about 12lbs and damn does it kick. when he has it rebarreled he says he's gonna go to a 30-338 lapua mag

Great round I have shot the Weatherby Accumark a few times but unfortunately only at the range. A little expensive to shoot if you are using the Weatherby factory ammo. The recoil with the brake is not too bad, it's a healthy push, but not a kick from a mule. <span style="font-weight: bold">Just be sure to have enough eye relief!!!!</span>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Falar</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: rwest</div><div class="ubbcode-body"> It has more energy at 1000 yds than a 30-06 has at the muzzle.
</div></div>

That is a gross exaggeration.

Weatherby Ballistic Information

It looks like by 200yds it is already down to energy levels that you can reach at the muzzle with '06 handloads.

.30-378 is an extremely fast .30 caliber though. </div></div>

"the .30-378 retaining more energy and velocity at one quarter mile than is possessed by a .30-06 upon leaving the barrel." from weatherby

You were right 1000 yds was an exaggeration. 440 yds, is a more accurate statement.

The 30/378 is great round. It has about 4800 lbs. of energy and I believe it's still the most powerful .30 cal. round. I had a Weatherby Mark V with a 26" or 28" SS fluted barrel with a KDF muzz. brake & std. fiberglass stock. (HS Pre.) Even though the rifle was very light and sounded like a clap of thunder just hit, that little brake worked so well it was like shooting a std. .308 rifle. It used to amaze me how little recoil it had for such a canon. The 30/378 was designed as a 1000+ yard target round and does a very good job of it. A buddy of mine used one for long range hunting, in fact he shot a red stag with one at over 1500 yards and it went through both lung's! According to my iPod Ballistic calculator, it still has 1300 lbs of energy & 1200 yards! And according to the computer, the 30/378 with a 208 gr. Hornady A-Max vs. the 30/06 with the same bullet, the 30/378 does have aprox. the same energy & 600 yards as the 30/06 has & 100 yards. (This depends on the bullet & how fast it's pushed, some are a little better and some are worse.) If you run the 30/378 "hot" it's a barrel burner, in fact I'v read that the barrel can start eroding in as little as 75 round's! However, if you use 50 BMG powder from Hodgdon, and drop it back aprox. 5 gr., the barrel seems fine even after 1500 round's. (At least mine did.) And it still has crazy power. (Esp. for 1000 yard paper punching.) I wish I had not got rid of mine, I liked the Mark V rec. and I really liked the 30/378 round. I would like to get another one but with a better barrel and stock. If you want massive power without massive recoil, this is a great way to go. And you can run small bullet's at very high speed's or heavier one's for hunting. Although, my buddy used 165 gr. Nosler Bil. tip's for hunting and his "rule" was, 1000 yard's minimum to take the shot. The only thing is, you must reload unless your rich. They are about $100 - $120 per 20 round's of loaded ammo, and about $62 for 20 rnd's of just brass! You also want to buy the 50-BMG powder in 8 lb. jug's, it doesn't take long to drain a pound of powder at 107 - 112 gr. per round. If you can deal with all that, buy it! It's a hell of a round and a lot of fun, and when you fire one off everyone wants to know.. "what the F#@% was that"!?

I used to own a 30-378 in MarkV. I put on a longer/heavier barrel and removed the break. I used it for hunting and unless just taking long range shots the break requires ear protection. I shot deer and elk out to 500 Yds with it. Used 180 barnesX. I sold it before the triple x loads were available.
Things I liked...
Gives another 100 yds before needing to do any math.
I could zero at 300 yds and hold straight on to 400 yds.
500 yds was just holding at the back.
Very clean kills with little meat damage.
Things I hated...
The MarkV is hit or miss. Mine was a miss.
I could not get my hand loads to match the factory speeds.
Very sensitive to heat, cleaning, and bullet depth.
I had to sort the factory rounds and toss 50% of them.
I had to clean and shoot one fouler before going hunting.
I then had three shots that I would be confident in.

If I ever shoot this round again I would be using a rifle made by a competent gun smith.

Compare that to my current TRG-42 in 338LM.
I clean it when I feel like it.
I can shoot factory ammo and never need to sort.
I can shoot 20 rounds and it still hits.
Bad is 4 lbs heavier and back to a break.

For me the setup was overkill for short distances and not accurate enough for long distances. As a result I switched to a 300WSM (could just easily picked any of the 7's or 300WM) for all the shorter distances and a 338LM for long range fun.

on the topic of thunder...I was sighting my 30-378 in at the range out here in SE NM and we have a corrugated panel / steel frame structure over concrete benches for some shade (and believe me we need shade).

So I drive up and there is only one bench open. I had some loads to test and so forth something like 107 grains of retumbo. I look around and only about 1/2 the guys shooting are wearing ear protection. So I tell them Im going to shoot and they should put ears on. These two kids with an sks just shake their heads and keep on shooting. An old timer sees me open the box of rounds and heads for the truck.

I shoot 3 rounds and pause for a look through the spotter. There are bird feathers and some sort of nest falling out of the canopy the two kids left the SKS on the bench and got in the truck...shit Im the only one out here now so I keep shooting.

Within 5 minutes I am staring at empty benches and a shit load of cardboard box targets scattered out on the range. Sometimes I contemplate doing it again when I drive out there and want some privacy.

If you have one of these rifles you know what I mean. It will definetly weed out the weak at heart especially under a 60 ft long steel canopy. HA HA HA. I carry around ear plugs for everyone else.

30-378 = privacy at the range.

Ran you off and let the gang bangers stay? Luckily our range is public and there is no supervision beyond what the gate being open provides.

Evidently the one with the biggest BANG makes the rules that day. Its nice on one hand but on the other hand I have seen some scary stupid shit out there. I have packed my stuff up and left before as well.

It's reassuring to know that I am not the only one who likes the belted magnums. I just had a 300 Win Mag build completed and couldn't help but wonder what something more substantial would be like.