AR-10 Stock & Buffer Questions

Phil3

Sergeant
Minuteman
Dec 13, 2008
San Ramon, CA
I am building an AR-10 and have a few questions on stocks and buffers.

I have heard that aftermarket buffers and springs may be needed. Why wouldn't the stock Armalite stuff work?

The Magpul PRS and UBR look impressive, but have a hard time ponying up the $$$ for those when the A2 stock works fine on my AR15. I keep the scope low, so have little need for check elevation, but might want more length of pull. Perhaps the UBR is a good choice. Still, I am considering the stock in the link. Opinions? The rifle will be shot off a bench.

http://www.50bmg.net/product.asp?specific=jnnogrm8

- Phil

Re: AR-10 Stock & Buffer Questions

The PRS will work with the rifle length spring and buffer. The UBR will require modified ones (I don't have the link offhand but someone else here may).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: MidwestPX</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The PRS will work with the rifle length spring and buffer. </div></div>

The above statement is correct! When the rifle length spring and buffer from an AR-10 model is used it will obviously work.
I think the confusion may have came from comparing the spring and buffer from an AR-15, in which case the buffer is longer and lighter...not sure about the spring!

Armalite uses a longer Carbine receiver extension than the AR-15 and thus, a longer buffer. If you run the Armalite receiver extension with an AR-15 stock, it will work, but it will "stick out" further on the extension.

Most people go to a standard mil-spec AR-15 receiver extension and then get a custom buffer from Slash at HeavyBuffers.com. That way you get proper fitment with any AR-15 stock on the market.

With the UBR, since it comes complete with Magpul's proprietary receiver extension, you'll need a Slash buffer/spring...see here:

http://www.heavybuffers.com/ar10carbine.html

With a rifle/A2 receiver extension, you can remove the A2 stock and A2 spacer and slide a PRS right onto the tube without changing buffers/springs. Same should be true for the stock that you linked to you in post.

Finally, you can't complain about the price of the Magpul PRS at $225 or so and yet still consider that ugly POS from ALS50 at $195!!
wink.gif
The Magpul PRS, while it may be expensive, is arguably the finest aftermarket stock available today. It has tons of adjustability to fit the rifle to the individual shooter, it adds a little weight to the rifle which balances out longer/heavier barrels and reduces felt recoil, and they are built like tanks for hard use and a lifetime of service.

Hmmm...I am out of my league on some of the terminology. I do not know the difference between "carbine" and "rifle" when it comes to stocks, buffers, springs, etc. I had thought there was no difference for instance between an A2 type of stock for an AR15 vs an AR10. Armalite lists a unique part # for each. How are they different? Armalite also shows different extension tubes for the AR10 (carbine and rifle). One shorter than the other I am guessing. ???

I am leaning to the PRS. Do I need the other A2 parts, such as spacer, screw (for A2)? I do not know if the PRS requires these parts.

- Phil

An A2 is an A2 is an A2. They are identical for both the AR-10 and AR-15 rifles.

The differences come in when you go from the A2/Rifle receiver extension to the carbine receiver extension (for use with collapsible stocks). Then, with the carbine, you get into AR-15 length vs. Armalite AR-10 length and different diameters (commercial and mil-spec tubes).

With the PRS, all you need for use with an AR-10 is:

1) A2 receiver extension/buffer tube ( http://www.armalite.com/ItemForm.aspx?item=EL0370&Category=93c41860-4ca2-43ee-8ca9-dc09b1a5bf2c );
2) AR-10 Rifle buffer ( http://www.armalite.com/ItemForm.aspx?item=EA1090&Category=93c41860-4ca2-43ee-8ca9-dc09b1a5bf2c );
3) AR-10 Rifle buffer spring ( http://www.armalite.com/ItemForm.aspx?item=EA1095&Category=93c41860-4ca2-43ee-8ca9-dc09b1a5bf2c ).

Thanks. Those are the exact three Armalite parts I thought I needed. I still found it curious that Armalite has one part number for an AR15 A2 and another part number for the A@ AR10 stock.

- Phil

For a carbine I really like the magpul acs, and it's pretty cheap.
For a full size buffer tube stock, I'd stick with the A2.
It's light, has tons-o-storage, and is ideal if you mount your optic lower than bubba height.
The PRS isn't all that great IMHO, it's heavy and the cheek riser is almost useless, and is only there to fix an optic height problem that should not exist in the first place.
It does look sweet though.

I'd run the A2 for now, and you'll have something to look for if you go to a gun show.
You will need an AR10 (full length) buffer, and spring for it.

Well, you hit on the big "practical" concern. I use the Armalite scope mount, which is almost too low. I have it on my AR15 and an A2 stock, and there is no way one needs more cheek elevation. So the PRS cheek piece would stay put. I might use more LOP, but I can add to that with a fully adjustable piece at the end, that can also angle. This is why I considered the UBR, because it extends further and has no cheek elevation.

Still, I can use an A2, and if I want to use a bag on the rear, put this on it. Won't look as cool as the Magpul, but would work better. $40.

http://egw-guns.com/store/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=53&products_id=295

- Phil

A2 is my favorite. If you need more LOP you can get an adj buttplate from Accuracy Speaks that work great.

I ran an UBR on an AR15 SPR and really liked it, but I preferred the $200 I spent on reloading supplies when I sold it and went back to an A2.

The PRS are worthless to me......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ORD</div><div class="ubbcode-body">An A2 is an A2 is an A2. They are identical for both the AR-10 and AR-15 rifles.

The differences come in when you go from the A2/Rifle receiver extension to the carbine receiver extension (for use with collapsible stocks). Then, with the carbine, you get into AR-15 length vs. Armalite AR-10 length and different diameters (commercial and mil-spec tubes).

With the PRS, all you need for use with an AR-10 is:

1) A2 receiver extension/buffer tube ( http://www.armalite.com/ItemForm.aspx?item=EL0370&Category=93c41860-4ca2-43ee-8ca9-dc09b1a5bf2c );
2) AR-10 Rifle buffer ( http://www.armalite.com/ItemForm.aspx?item=EA1090&Category=93c41860-4ca2-43ee-8ca9-dc09b1a5bf2c );
3) AR-10 Rifle buffer spring ( http://www.armalite.com/ItemForm.aspx?item=EA1095&Category=93c41860-4ca2-43ee-8ca9-dc09b1a5bf2c ). </div></div>

Thanks for the info.

For me to tell you that you need an adj. cheek piece because I do or to tell you you dont need one because I dont is completely rediculous. Everyones bone structure and face and arms and shoulders are different not to mention how the scope and rifle are set up. (BTW, I have the Armalite one piece rings also) If YOU need some adj. in the cheek and LOP than the PRS is an excellent stock and yes, its heavier because it IS adjustable. If you dont need the adjustment then dont blow your money to make it look tacticool and make it heavier to boot, the A2 is definately the way to go, its light and simple. If you can get away with it, thats always the best way in my book. I've always kept the A2 off my AR10T because I thought I might someday want to go back to it but it hasn't happened in five years.

okie

You see, a proper set of scope rings would have set the scope height properly for YOU.
If YOU bought the wrong rings, but still wish to use them, then save a ton of cash and go buy a PRS to fix the ring problem.
I love how far back the cheek riser forces your face to be.
I guess one could fix the small amount of remaining stock left with the LOP adjustment.

I'm not saying I know what is right for YOU.
I just find the PRS to be inferior to an A2 stock with a properly set optic height.
This is a subjective matter anyhow.

Generally, due to the height of the stock in relation to the barrel, hand guard tube and upper receiver ring height is the only factor that needs to be adjusted to prevent the necessity of a cheek riser on an AR10. However there are situations where this isn't possible, such as use of some night vision scopes.

If I were attempting to attach a PVS4 size optic to my AR10 I would be ratcheting the PRS up a bit. Since I wanted that functionality and I preferred the shape of the PRS over the A2, that is the direction I took. If I did not want the cheek riser or adjustable LOP I would have gone with something like the B&C Butthook type stock.

Now one place where the PRS excels is on a rifle that will be used by several different folks. I can set the scope a little high, then use the PRS to fine tune it.

On MY rifle the PRS also helps to balance out the 20" Noveske barrel. If I went with a light M4 type stock, offhand would be very difficult.

It's all about what YOU want to do. If weight and cost are not an issue then a PRS is fine. If you will use the PRS features, then it's good to go. If you are on a budget and don't need the adjustable LOP or cheek, then go with the A2.

One thing to keep in mind is that on my PRS I actually have the LOP all the way in. That's actually closer to A1 stock length.

Yeah, I actually need the adj cheek piece very little, maybe .25". To get the eye relief I need with my Black Diomond scope I need to set the scope forward to where the front edge of the errector is even with the front of the rail. This leaves no room for the front ring of any two piece ring set. Something like a GG&G extended rail would only set my scope higher. With the Armalite one piece base and rings, the front ring is extended forward, this allowes the scope errector to be where a two piece sets front ring would be therefore allowing me to get the eye relief I need. The cheekpiece is positioned correctly for me front to back and I believe it would be with any scope. I like the LOP adj for different positions and enjoy the added weight of the stock, its a range rifle. The build quality is just a bonus.
The A2 is a great stock and like I said, I like it. Hard to beat for an alround stock but the "end all be all for the AR and anyone who shoots one?" Not likely, and not any more so than the PRS.

okie

I'd use the A2 stock, and adjust height of comb (I think correct term here, but not sure) and something like this:

http://www.brownells.com/.aspx/pid=5559/Product/AR_15_BUTTSTOCK_EXTENDER

If longer length of pull needed.

I'm pretty much in the same boat as you, and that's what I've decided to do anyhow. The other guys can spend $225 on a stock, I'd rather spend it on ammo/optics.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: okiefired</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here's a suggestion. Pretty cheap improvement. I use them in my AR10's. I also have the PRS on my AR10T, brother, its a great stock.

http://www.davidtubb.com/tcom_images/ar15_images/cs_buffer.html

okie </div></div>

Have you had any issues with the bolt not completely closing with the Tubbs CS flat spring? I'm getting together a Midway order and have considered adding it to my list.

I agree on the PRS being a great stock.

mcb, I've had absolutely no issues with the Tubb's springs. I really like the fact that they never weaken, no matter how many rnds fired. Plan on one for my M4ish Armalite soon, it will see more rnds fired hopefully. I talked to the folks at Tubb's several years ago before I ordered (I also got the CWS for the AR10T) and they told me that the flat spring is the first improvement they recommend. Of course, they are selling springs
wink.gif

Hellbender on this site has a pretty good series of posts going on AR tuning and such. Recently he posted a guide on how to tune your buffer spring. I think he recommends not bothering unless you have one of the Tubb's flat springs. Sounds like a good idea to me and I'm concidering it but its kind of a "if it aint broke dont fix it" type deal. Dont know though, improvement is improvement and reliability is what I'm most concerned with.

okie

Hey guys, I'm a newbie, but I'd like some advice.

I'm very tall and my a2 works "OK". I've tried a friends UBR and PRS. Nether are long enough for me.

My bolt gun has the stock ext just perfect for me(not adjustable), but my ar10 I'd like to be able to adjust it for diff. shooters.

POF:
1) need longer LOP for tall person
2) Need adjustable for ar10 for diff. shooters.

Could I combine an PRS and BUTTSTOCK EXTENDER?

What do you recommend for a tall freak that desires adjustable LOP for ar10?

thanks guys!

Thomas

The DPMS buttstock extender will work well on the PRS, BUT...let me make a suggestion.

If you are going to run a PRS and a 1" buttstock extender with the PRS on an AR-10...get the AR-15 version PRS or the cheek riser will be waaay too far back to be of any real value. The AR-10 PRS already has the cheek riser shortened to accommodate the longer charging handle. By then putting a 1" extender on the stock, you are moving it even further back making it a pain to get the proper cheek weld/eye relief combo and further causing you fitment issues with your rifle. With the AR-15 PRS, you get the normal positioning of the cheek riser which then gets moved back an inch which is enough to clear the CH and still give you a decent cheek weld with the riser elevated.

The other option is to install Magpul's extended rubber buttplate for the PRS seen here:

http://store.magpul.com/product/MAG350/35

That will give you another 1/2" of LOP to work with.

I ran a 1" extension on LAR-8 and PRS, worked well. I wont use it this time on the current build because the charging handle clears fine. IF you need length, the PRS will adjust a little over 1" and the extension will give you a second 1". Good luck.

my 2cents- I built my AR10- PRS stock on it now from starting with a UBR. and the PRS is way better. Also I didnt get to read through all of the above but how long is your barrel? and how serious of a shooter is this going to be? I started out with a UBR then moved to PRS- started out with regular 5.4 Oz buffer and armalite heavy spring from heavy buffers.com and have since gone to the 10oz buffer as I am loading for my rifle and when you go up in pressure with certain loads you will get ejector swipes- I learned this the hard way... and hence the PRS stock. Plus you can add and ACCu shot- monopod to it. I know money is tight but- get the PRS and do it right from the get go.... and it would be good to check out heavybuffers.com - this guy has good stuff. if you need a regular rifle buffer for 308- and spring- I have one. Good luck with your decisions.