• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

AR Rebuild

bsybouts

Private
Minuteman
Mar 9, 2010
Monroe, WA
I've had this Olympic Arms SGW CAR-15 since '93 and over the years added a Beeman Scope, flat top upper, Harris Bipod, Hogue Free Float & PSG style grip.

In this config from the bench it would hold 1/4" groups @ 100yds (on a good day) with off the shelf Black Hills 50gr V-Max. It's not exactly comfortable to shoot with the current stock and scope setup so I decide to rebuild it.

This is what I started with.
CAR-15_old.jpg

New Magpul PRS Stock installed

DSC01132.jpg

Timney 3lb Trigger

DSC01130.jpg

DSC01131.jpg

The barrel that actually came with it years ago was pretty bad, it wouldn't hold better than a 6" group at 100yds so I sent it back and for $30 they installed this "heavy" barrel. It's 3/4" from the threads to the handguard and then from there it necks up to 1" to the upper.

DSC01129.jpg

Tangodown bipod is here waiting to be installed once the new handguard & recoil eliminator from JP arrive but I think it will be at least another week.

Found a LaRue 1.93 30mm scope mount & Millet TRS-1 4-16x50mm scope on another forum, they're probably a week or so out as well.

Re: AR Rebuild

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: OlsenG_360</div><div class="ubbcode-body">How did you like the Hogue Free Float? And what method did you use for attaching the bipod? </div></div>

It worked fine I guess. Once the Hogue was in place I just drilled & tapped for a sling bolt and attached the Harris to that.

What do you think about the trigger? Is it worth the money? I have a 2 stage NM bushmaster trigger on my 20" hbar project that was fine until I found it would not light ss109 (mil-spec primers) now with the heavy hammer spring I have run it breaks at 4 1/2 lbs but it feels like crap.Don't know if you fired it yet but you can feel the trigger and tell about how it will work at the range. Any way looks great. You will really like that stock (PRS) I run one on my 20'' and the UBR (along with a surefire vert grip light) on my m4 clone Magpul friggin rock.

So what do you figure you'll have in it when you are finished $$?
I did some mods on my Bushy 16: RR Flat-top and Troy 12" cut-out rails,two covers, bi-pod adapter,(then found a pod that requred no adapter) quick release scope mount, and a flip-up rear sight. $525.00 installed by my local gun-shop.

As I have had the Bushsy a few years, the add-ons cost less than $200 of the price of the complete stick. I was amazed at how well it shoots, not 1/4" but most 5 shot groups are under MOA with my loads. Stock Bushy barrel too.

The Magpul is a sweet addition I will be adding also. Not to that stick, but on an Armalite NM, that I converted to a Flat-top. So far, the Bushy hold more consistent than the Armalite, shooting the same 55 gr. ammo. That shouldn't be, so I am going to work up loads that work better with the 1:8 twist. It's the only reason I can come up with, for a Bushmaster, holding better than a NM. (Yeah it could be me, but, I shot them on the same day, and did better with the Bushy.)At this point, the Bushy 16 weighs more than the Armalite, so if anyone thinks that stability factor may have something to do with it, chime in?

You escaped the ragging on 1/4" groups, a member took here a while back. The critics must not be on site today. Good luck with your project, but be careful. You may end up with a stick, that looks better than it shoots. (Smiling)

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scot</div><div class="ubbcode-body">What do you think about the trigger? Is it worth the money? I have a 2 stage NM bushmaster trigger on my 20" hbar project that was fine until I found it would not light ss109 (mil-spec primers) now with the heavy hammer spring I have run it breaks at 4 1/2 lbs but it feels like crap.Don't know if you fired it yet but you can feel the trigger and tell about how it will work at the range. Any way looks great. You will really like that stock (PRS) I run one on my 20'' and the UBR (along with a surefire vert grip light) on my m4 clone Magpul friggin rock. </div></div>

I haven't shot it yet with the new trigger but dry firing the lower with it installed it's noticeably smoother and lighter than the factory. It's just as smooth as the Timney I threw in my Savage 110.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: gnfiter3</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You escaped the ragging on 1/4" groups, a member took here a while back. The critics must not be on site today. Good luck with your project, but be careful. You may end up with a stick, that looks better than it shoots. (Smiling)

</div></div>

I don't quite understand what there'd be to rag on someone for shooting a 1/4" group @ 100yards with an assault rifle?

The barrel and upper aren't changing and I'm swapping in another full float hand guard so essentially the only thing I have to be concerned with is the JP Recoil Eliminator hanging off the end. The original Oly Arms flash hider hit the trash years ago as it was decreasing accuracy. Hence the 1st pick with threads showing.

To answer your 1st question, I'd have to go back through receipts and the internet to find out what I have into it, it's just another money pit.

The used, which are more like new, LaRue mount & Millet scope showed up last week. Got the scope mounted and aligned.

Still waiting on the multi-tool from Bushmaster and the parts from JP...

Millet_LaRue.jpg

The have been more than a few claims of 1/4 moa groups. There's a seperate thread now on what that really means. Much goes into that type accuracy, esp. when the shot group is more than three rounds.

Just priced out some of the upgrades I'd like on a lower. Decided to stick with my Armalite NM lower, just add the PRS and call it a day.

I think you're 100% on the term, "money pit." I decided to take the difference in the price of a new lower, built to my specs. subtract the price of the PRS, and spend the rest shooting what I have. I can shoot a lot of ammo for the price of a Trimney.