• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

B&C Varmint/Tacticl Stoock- Need Advice

LONGSHOT45

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 25, 2009
Culpeper, Virginia
I just picked up a B&C Tact stock for my 10/22 and I noticed that the last inch and a half of the barrel channel (muzzel end)has a uniformed raised section that contacts the barrel. Is this supposed to prevent barrel droop or am I supposed to file this down to completely free float the barrel??

Re: B&C Varmint/Tacticl Stoock- Need Advice

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LONGSHOT45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I just picked up a B&C Tact stock for my 10/22 and I noticed that the last inch and a half of the barrel channel (muzzel end)has a uniformed raised section that contacts the barrel. Is this supposed to prevent barrel droop or am I supposed to file this down to completely free float the barrel?? </div></div>
The raised, molded-in "platform" is there to support the barrel. It takes the place of a pressure pad and it works very well. Unless you want the barrel to tip forward and contact the front of the barrel channel do not remove it, unless you are actually going to free-float the barrel - see next paragraph for note on free-floating the barrel.

Are you using an MOA or Kidd Classic receiver with the rear (secondary) lug to anchored to the stock, or have you anchored the receiver rear to the stock in some other way? If not, you cannot fully free-float the barrel on your 10/22 because without the rear of the receiver held down, the weight of the barrel will tip the action forward, (the front lug acting as a fulcrum point like on a teeter-totter).

If you are not going to free-float the barrel but still remove the support, the end result will be that the barrel contacts the barrel channel instead of being supported by the molded-in support platform, and you will have ruined a perfectly good stock.

Keith

Aries 64 nailed it with a very good explanation of how the stock is designed. You should not see a problem with performance unless as Aries explained you are comparing it with a rifle that has a rear action lug and possibly a threaded barrel. I have been running my B&C 10/22 stock for about a year now with a stock action and a 16" ER Shaw barrel and it shoots remarkably well for what it is. You may have to play with the torque on your action screw to find that just right spot but other than that put some decent glass on it and have fun.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LONGSHOT45</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for all the info. I'm using the stock Ruger action so I'll the stock as y'all suggested. </div></div>
No problem, glad I could help.
<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: platypus</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Aries 64 nailed it with a very good explanation of how the stock is designed. You should not see a problem with performance unless as Aries explained you are comparing it with a rifle that has a rear action lug and possibly a threaded barrel. I have been running my B&C 10/22 stock for about a year now with a stock action and a 16" ER Shaw barrel and it shoots remarkably well for what it is. You may have to play with the torque on your action screw to find that just right spot but other than that put some decent glass on it and have fun. </div></div>
My brother has had the same experience with his old-school 10/22T. We've both always been bolt guys, but after shooting two 10/22s' that I had built-up, and seeing that 10/22s' can actually be very accurate, last year my brother bought as-new old-school 10/22T at a gun show.

He removed the factory laminated stock (actually sort of nice as factory stocks go) and mounted the action in a B & C VT stock. He and I both say he got lucky because that 10/22 shoots very well, especially considering that the only change was the stock change.

Getting spoiled by my Kidd trigger he ponied-up for a Kidd as well, but his 10/22 shot great with just the stock change.

Keith