• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Hunting & Fishing Backcountry Gun Carrying Options

kabarNC

Learning..
Supporter
Minuteman
Supporter
  • Feb 11, 2017
    Carolina
    What's y'alls preferred method? Going on a backcountry muley hunt this fall, and I'm wondering what's the best option for carrying my rifle. Slung, packed, gun bearer of some kind? It's gonna be steep mountains. Looking for brands and options, thanks alot.

I have been using Eberlestock for a long time. GSII for 1-2 days & now have a Dragonfly for longer trips.
    IMHO the rifle scabbard is the best way to protect the rifle from damage etc. Not the best for quick deployment but if I need something shot quick I'll use the pistol on my chest.

Reactions: Alabusa
    My preferred method is to have someone else carry it for me. You asked!

Cant say for hunting mulies but I like my rifle at the ready when in the backcountry here in AK. Stuffed in a pack sleeve or somehow on the back of my pack doesn't not afford quick access. Its more comfortable so to say but I like my rifle slung for Bullwinkle and bou hunting. On the steeps in sheep and goat country, stuffed somewhere like a scabbard for easy carry.

The reason light is right for me or lightest is bestest. Don't think there is a perfect method, my recommendation, test them all and see what you prefer. Or course getting others opinions can help to start sorting it all out.

Edit, for moose and caribou I like a freighter pack with a frame so I can hook my rifle on the frame. For the steeps, internal frame pack with rifle stuffed in/on the pack body.

good luck

Last edited:
    Reactions: kabarNC
    I use the butt sling part of the gun bearer and I strap it to the side of my kifaru reckoning using the three side straps when I’m just hiking in. When in there and hunting I use a sling.

These guys are lined up at the base of Mt. Everest every morning. Just pull up in your hunting truck and snag one or two for the day.

sherpa-team20091.jpg

?

Depends on the amount of brush you’re going through. Having a rifle slung can be a pain when traveling through thick stuff. If it’s more open, I prefer slung unless I am just traveling to a destination with no intent of shooting anything along the way.

If not slung, strapped to the pack. I’ve tried the side and it makes it too weight biased, so I strap it to the outside in the middle still allowing access to the bag without the rifle being in the way.

Not saying it’s the best way, just what I’ve found most useful thus far.

Thanks all. I'm now trying to decide between Kifaru Gun Bearer, Mystery Ranch Quickdraw system, and lashed to the side of my pack. Anybody have any experience with the Quickdraw?

I liked the kifaru gun bearer on my stone glacier solo 3300 when you want to have your gun ready. It is better strapped to the middle of your pack, but takes awhile to get to it. Stone glacier offers one also that is a quick release that is on the side of your pack that I haven’t tried.

i use the Eberlystock gun slinger, if you are climbing alot i like it, if you need to make a quick shot not so much, i have had problems with my suppressed rifle hitting me in the head when climbing. whatever you choose keep that in mind