Help on first build- Origin, TL3, Kelbly, CDG, or Solus?

A good deal is a MDT LSS-XL that MDT makes for Faxon. I picked one up from PA for under $700 not too long ago. Here's some different chassis for some of my TL3s:

Faxon/MDT:
IMG_2266.JPG

MDT ACC Gen 1:

IMG_2263.JPG

MDT ACC Elite:

IMG_2260.JPG

MPA ESR:

IMG_2271.JPG

MPA Matrix:

IMG_2239.JPG

MPA Matrix Pro:

IMG_2217.JPG

Matrix Pro 2:

IMG_2189.JPG

XLR Element:

IMG_2171.JPG

A good deal is a MDT LSS-XL that MDT makes for Faxon. I picked one up from PA for under $700 not too long ago. Here's some different chassis for some of my TL3s:

Faxon/MDT:
View attachment 8482544

MDT ACC Gen 1:

View attachment 8482545

MDT ACC Elite:

View attachment 8482546

MPA ESR:

View attachment 8482572

MPA Matrix:

View attachment 8482548

MPA Matrix Pro:

View attachment 8482549

Matrix Pro 2:

View attachment 8482552

XLR Element:

View attachment 8482555
Wow- thanks for the pics! Always helps to see pics to get a better idea on how things really look. I think I'm leaning MDT ACC Premier Gen2.

Reactions: Baron85
I’m about to buy a barrel vise and would like something on the cheap end. I’m looking at the Viper with a trailer hitch attachment so I can just mount it in my existing vise in the basement without drilling additional holes in my bench. I’ll also just buy the Zermatt Origin action wrench.

Does this sound reasonable and/or ok for the Origin and a pre-fit Proof barrel? Wasn’t sure on the trailer hitch attachment and if it’s suitable for mounting in a vise. Plus, kill two birds with one stone- use it to quick change barrels in the field if I ever need to.

Thanks again! Ya’ll have been great. Should get my Proof barrel tomorrow

Also, I know I’ve mentioned scopes earlier in this thread but trying to narrow my choices down. I’d really like to stay under the $2500 price point and $2000 would be even nicer. ;)

It looks like PRS production limit is $2500? I know the rifle I’m building would not be production class but just in case down the road I think I’d like a scope I can use in production class.

Looking at these two at the moment. Any advantages/disadvantages to either and any other options I’m overlooking? For some reason really like the Zeiss although I have Nightforce scopes (ATACR 1-8 and NX8 1-8)

I’m about to buy a barrel vise and would like something on the cheap end. I’m looking at the Viper with a trailer hitch attachment so I can just mount it in my existing vise in the basement without drilling additional holes in my bench. I’ll also just buy the Zermatt Origin action wrench.

Does this sound reasonable and/or ok for the Origin and a pre-fit Proof barrel? Wasn’t sure on the trailer hitch attachment and if it’s suitable for mounting in a vise. Plus, kill two birds with one stone- use it to quick change barrels in the field if I ever need to.

Thanks again! Ya’ll have been great. Should get my Proof barrel tomorrow
I use a viper but I bolt it to an intermediary board which is what gets quick clamped to the table.
You have a perfectly reasonable plan.

Also, I know I’ve mentioned scopes earlier in this thread but trying to narrow my choices down. I’d really like to stay under the $2500 price point and $2000 would be even nicer. ;)

It looks like PRS production limit is $2500? I know the rifle I’m building would not be production class but just in case down the road I think I’d like a scope I can use in production class.

Looking at these two at the moment. Any advantages/disadvantages to either and any other options I’m overlooking? For some reason really like the Zeiss although I have Nightforce scopes (ATACR 1-8 and NX8 1-8)

Zeiss between the two

I use a Viper vise as well, no issues with it. And I agree on the Zeiss between the 2 choices given, I have the 4-25x on my 6GT right now but also wanted the elevation adjustment range in case I ever swap it to my Vudoo for longer range rimfire fun

I use the Viper vise as well. It's good quality. Make sure you wrap something around the barrel, like some leather or heavy target paper. I picked up an action wrench from SPR. It's for all Rem 700 pattern actions but you have to remove the ejector from the Origin to use it. Not a big deal to do that.

In that price range did you look at the XTR PRO
I have looked at the XTR Pro. I like it quite a bit but just not sure about Burris as a brand, their warranty, customer service, etc. But I don’t know because I mainly have experience with Vortex and Nightforce. Vortex is a no brainer when it comes to warranty stuff. I had an issue with my NF NX8 1-8 and they fixed it pretty quickly.

Such a hard decision because I’m normally a buy once, cry once type of guy so I keep going back and forth cost-wise because I’m spending money I don’t have. 😂

I think this might be the best deal for what I’m looking at and was mentioned earlier but it’s about $5-600 more than I’d like to spend but I know I wouldn’t have second thoughts on it.

Any thoughts on the Vortex Gen II Razors? This?

I feel like for the extra $500 the Gen II 6-36 is by far the better option.

I for one prefer the Diamond over the Special even if you’re running both at #1. My thinking is you’re using the Special at the limit of its range while the Diamond has plenty of adjustments either way.
That thinking is solely based of my knowledge of equipment in an industrial setting. You don’t run things at their limits, be it upper or lower limit.

Now that I’ve said that I use the Diamond and have never tried the special. Mine is set at 15 oz so a Special would have passed muster. If it’s not goofy at its lower limit, like most equipment is.

I for one prefer the Diamond over the Special even if you’re running both at #1. My thinking is you’re using the Special at the limit of its range while the Diamond has plenty of adjustments either way.
That thinking is solely based of my knowledge of equipment in an industrial setting. You don’t run things at their limits, be it upper or lower limit.

Now that I’ve said that I use the Diamond and have never tried the special. Mine is set at 15 oz so a Special would have passed muster. If it’s not goofy at its lower limit, like most equipment is.
Already bought the special. You can’t do this to me now. 😂

The TT triggers are designed to have a captured adjustment system that is made to be perfectly fine to run with the weight screw completely removed (mine are). Never had an issue, but yes, in any industry, extremes are typically not efficient and will cause problems.

Already bought the special. You can’t do this to me now. 😂
You'll be just fine and happy with the Special. Don't let subconscious pre-use buyer's remorse happen. You don't even know how the Special will feel, and reading all these comments you're already questioning your purchase. Don't let it get in your head. That's one thing that threads like this can be overwhelming for newbies.

Reactions: Baron85
You'll be just fine and happy with the Special. Don't let subconscious pre-use buyer's remorse happen. You don't even know how the Special will feel, and reading all these comments you're already questioning your purchase. Don't let it get in your head. That's one thing that threads like this can be overwhelming for newbies.
Haha, thanks man! No buyer’s remorse at this point. It was more of a joke. I’m not really worried about the trigger. It’s a $2-300 item.

I’m more worried about the scope and making the right decision on it. I’m so used to 1-8x types of scopes and capped turrets. Just a few more things to consider regarding a long distance scope.

I really like the Eurooptic Vortex 6-36 at around $2700. But it’s the most expensive. I also really like the Zeiss LRP S3 6-36 at a $2000 price point. Then there’s a Burris XTR Pro. I think I can get one of those for around $1500.

So just different price points and levels to the scopes above. At this point, just like the triggers, I won’t know the difference because I have nothing to compare them to.

Still leaning toward the middle ground Zeiss at $2000. Only thing about the Zeiss is the scope ring , I think, moves right to left to increase magnification and I’m not used to that. Is that even something to be concerned with?

Thanks again!

I know I keep throwing things out there but have you looked at the Kahles 624i.
Yes, I’ve looked at Kahles. I know they make great stuff. At this point I feel like I’ve looked at all of them a million times at this so I just said screw it and bought the Zeiss for $2000. It just kept calling me. 😂 From everything I’ve read (knock on wood) it seems like a great scope and punches above its weight class.

Just glad to have that decision out of the way. Now on to a chassis. 😀

Barrel should be here today. Let’s go!!!

Haha, thanks man! No buyer’s remorse at this point. It was more of a joke. I’m not really worried about the trigger. It’s a $2-300 item.

I’m more worried about the scope and making the right decision on it. I’m so used to 1-8x types of scopes and capped turrets. Just a few more things to consider regarding a long distance scope.

I really like the Eurooptic Vortex 6-36 at around $2700. But it’s the most expensive. I also really like the Zeiss LRP S3 6-36 at a $2000 price point. Then there’s a Burris XTR Pro. I think I can get one of those for around $1500.

So just different price points and levels to the scopes above. At this point, just like the triggers, I won’t know the difference because I have nothing to compare them to.

Still leaning toward the middle ground Zeiss at $2000. Only thing about the Zeiss is the scope ring , I think, moves right to left to increase magnification and I’m not used to that. Is that even something to be concerned with?

Thanks again!
Another scope to look at in the $2,500 range is the Kahles K624i SKMR-4. I have a few of those, and they are exceptional scopes. The glass beats everything you’re looking at, and it’s made entirely in Austria with Austrian SCHOTT glass. Message @Euro.Connor and he can get you a great price on the K624i. 👍🏼

If you're not in a rush, keep an eye on AA Optics. They get refurbished Vortex scopes and accessories and they have the G3 6-36x at $2100 from time to time. They don't charge tax and I think shipping is free for over $250. They had some a week or two ago but sold out fast. I don't worry about refurbished from Vortex due to their warranty.

If you're not in a rush, keep an eye on AA Optics. They get refurbished Vortex scopes and accessories and they have the G3 6-36x at $2100 from time to time. They don't charge tax and I think shipping is free for over $250. They had some a week or two ago but sold out fast. I don't worry about refurbished from Vortex due to their warranty.
I just checked them out. I’ll definitely keep an eye on them in the future. Seems like some potential deals and like you said with the Vortex warranty there shouldn’t be any worries down the road. Thanks!