• We're Extending The Deal: Get 30% Off Your Sub With Code HIDE30

We're only offering the deal for another 24 hours!

Subscribe

Backpack: laptop and PDW/CCW

earthquake

Area Man
Supporter
Minuteman
  • Jul 30, 2009
    USA
    Any recommendations for a not too tacticool (but not Jansport either) backpack that works for protecting a laptop to and from the office and into the field, but could also double for a PDW (rifle) or CCW (pistol) when needed?

Only mfg I am aware of right now is Vertx. Kinda pricey though and haven't seen any reports of how well they hold up or reviews. Looking for other brands to compare. TiA

I am not familiar with the Vertx line, so I am not sure exactly what style it is.

I have a Mystery Ranch Urban Assault 24. It has a separate compartment for a laptop that will also accommodate a pistol. It’s not real fast to draw from, but is a great bag. To fit a PDW, the PDW would have to fold and be really small. The max length is around 20-21 inches.

I have a Great Ghost Gear Apparition bag that fits a 10.5” AR with a brace. It would be tight to get a rifle and laptop in the bag at the same time, but is a great SBR bag. It is very non-tactical looking and blends in well in an urban setting. Looks lore like a hiking backpack.

You may also want to check out the Eberlestock Secret weapon or cherry bomb, as they have a laptop sleeve meant to use with rifle storage. No experience with them, but Eberlestock makes a great pack.

Reactions: earthquake
    Any recommendations for a not too tacticool (but not Jansport either) backpack that works for protecting a laptop to and from the office and into the field, but could also double for a PDW (rifle) or CCW (pistol) when needed?

Only mfg I am aware of right now is Vertx. Kinda pricey though and haven't seen any reports of how well they hold up or reviews. Looking for other brands to compare. TiA

I have a vertx gamut 2.0 and I love it. It has room for a laptop and other items in the main compartment. And the gun compartment is a dedicated spot on the back so it’s not an either/or type thing with a laptop. It’s the same size as my old backpack but their storage system created a lot more room, I’ve yet to get close to filling it all the way up.

Law Tactical Folder and an 8" 300BLK is your friend.

I've got a Goruck GR1 and it's the most amazing backpack I've ever used. I balked at the price up front, but it doesn't take much research to find most people who own them love them. It's incredibly well built. The padded laptop case on the back is very nice. Don't let the overall simplistic design fool you, it's just enough to do what you need without being too complicated. And it's very comfortable to wear with a heavy load too.

I use it constantly for what you're describing, plus 1 or 2 day work trips. Surprising how much stuff it'll hold. The square shape will let you get away with all kinds of stuff.

I just got a vertex commuter. It fits all the needs you have listed.

If you go to la police gear and use the hide code it ends up being the cheapest I found.

My only gripe is I had also planned on using it as a gym bag. It’s lacking space for ccw, shorts, shirt, towel and shoes. At that point space would be totally maxed.

I'll jump on the Vertx band wagon as well. I have a Vertx Gamut that I've carried every day for a couple of years. It is rock solid! Best "tactical" backpack I've ever had, and it doesn't look tactical at all. It carries everything I need - computer, pistol, extra mags, etc, and is also plate-ready (although I haven't installed a plate yet). I would buy another one in a heartbeat.

Eberlestock Little Trick will fit the bill also. Can carry a BCN 11.5” pistol with SBA3 brace withe a law tactical folder. You have pockets for mags, lights and other gear. Pocket on side fits a suppressor nicely as well. Plenty of Velcro and Molle to attach as pistol as well. It also had a dedicated laptop pocket and you can get it in a Dry Earth color and doesn’t look all tacticool.

I suppose if you want to go the sbr route you could get the vertex commuter xl.

That one seemed too long for my needs. If it isn’t too long for yours then it would be an excellent choice.

Seems duffle bag sized imo.

Side note: If you have a folding stock or similar sbr it would fit neatly in the standard commuter.

Just got my Kifaru Antero today. Fits my work laptop and all other gear well, but there is no dedicated padded compartment for a computer (easy to buy a separate case if needed). Also fits my folded Sig MCX Virtus Pistol 11.5" barrel with optic but NO suppressor. Kinda pricey but their stuff is worth it in my experience. Not too tacti-cool. Could always ask them to not sew the Molle on the bottom half of it to dress it down some. Not as wide as some of my other packs but longer, which would help with a weapon. Once you put it on you'll realize why you paid the extra cash for it.

I know you mentioned wanting other options but I’ve been using the Vertex Gaumut Overland for about a year or so and love it.

It’s my all purpose pack, holds everything to my work laptop, related kit as well as EDC type stuff (packable rain jacket, small med kit, .75 hydration bladder, water bottle, lighting/fire kit and other stuff that stays in the bag at all times. I also use it on day/overnight hikes, walking around town/on the strip and its always in my trunk otherwise.

It is very comfortable on my back, even with a little bit of weight (ie a Mk18 mod 1 with a law folder, extra mags and other related shit) for longer hikes into the back country. It also will allow for a CCW pistol and extra mags in the laptop storage section which is accessible via the large rubber zipper pull tab (although not when the laptop is also in there)

IMO it’s worth every penny. Don’t skimp on the bag, esp if it will be used extensively or under harsh conditions.

Cheap bags are the most expensive kind.

I just picked up a Vertx Commuter, nicely fabricated in nondescript blue. The integrated velcro panels allow for easy attachment of kit. Will fit a 15" laptop. None of my 9.75" 300 BO's will fit with folding stock due to SureFire Warcomp muzzle brake for QD supressor (my BlueForce Jedburgh pack will); however, a Wilson Combat 7.5" 9 mm with a LawTactical folding stock will. I prefer to use Safariland QLS / ELS kit with custom velcro mounts to secure sidearm ALS holster, magazines, lights & blades. Several other spaces useful for Sat phone & GPS locator beacons. Primary Armor makes specific level IIIa soft kevlar plates to fit in dedicated pocket. It has an ergonomically useful diagonal padded shoulder harness. Thankfully, no tactical gear logos broadcasting on the exterior surfaces.
    IMG_4957.jpg
    IMG_4958.jpg
    IMG_4959.jpg
    IMG_4960.jpg
    IMG_4961.jpg
    IMG_4963.jpg
    IMG_4965.jpg
    IMG_4966.jpg
    IMG_4964.jpg

Last edited:
    Another vote for Vertx. I use a Gamut 2.0 and love it. It’s been to Singapore, China, Taiwan and every day to work for 9 months now. It’s held up great and has lots of room for kit including a PDW, handgun, light weight armor etc... I wouldn’t use anything else at the moment.

image.jpg

I've been carrying this daily for about three years. It has the velcro panel inside which is nice for attaching holster, laptop sleeve, and I'm a big fan of the admin pocket for organizing all the little stuff, and this is a tough bag. It's also "gray man" so you don't look tacticool. I like it so much I bought one for my daughter who is in college. This is my favorite backpack to date.

I have the vertx gamut, 2.0 it's my everyday laptop travel bag for work. And edc in weekends.

Only criticism is the zippers for the main compartment suck. They are sticky/graby and don't pull easy.

Vertx Gamut 2.0 here also. It's been with me everywhere for the past 6 months. It's been to the mountains the beach and everywhere in between. If I leave my house, it's on my back.

My only complaint is that it is a pain in the ass to fit the large Nalgene size water bottles in the side stretch pockets. I drink a ton of water throughout the day so I prefer the larger water bottles so I don't have to refill as often. the largest one I have found that fits without feeiling like I am wrestling a 300lb gorilla is the Yeti 26oz size.

Last edited:
    Reactions: seansmd