• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

barrel contour and length

LILBUCK

Private
Minuteman
Feb 22, 2010
Payson,AZ
hello first time posting but i have been reading on here for months lots of good stuff here. i am getting in to the long range shooting or trying at least with the hide as my teacher so i ordered a nf 5.5-22x50 today for a r700 in 300wm. in the near future i want to get a match barrel but i don't know what contour barrel is a good choose. i plan on building this gun as a long range tactical type rifle. so what contour would you recommend and how long? i will possibly re chamber to 300um would that make a difference as far as length is concerned.i want to figure out the contour of barrel now so i can get the right height rings for the scope don't want to buy them twice thanks a lot for your help

Re: barrel contour and length

Barrel now is about a 5.5 contour that Rem uses on their varmint/tactical rifles. I'd suggest a #7 to MTU profile and 26" for the 300WM to get the most out of the large charge of slow burning powder. That said I would shoot that rifle for a while before rebarreling.

I'd also recommend keeping it a 300WM. It's an excellent long range caliber.

thank you for your input. i do plan on shooting this barrel for a while if it will shoot good enough,it looks a lot smaller than a 5.5 contour.And what would the reason be to shoot the WIN MAG over the RUM?

Check in the Optics section on determining your needed ring heigth.

I had a Pacnor #8 25" in an McMillan A3 and it was very barrel heavy and deffinatly not a run and gun rifle. So if you think that you might ever be inclined to go play run and gun in a match with it, you might go with a lighter contour like the Sendro or Varmint contour....or have it fluted to try to keep the balance.

For length I was able to work extremly well with the 25" barrel, 72gr of RL22 got 3050FPS average with 180gr Sierra Game kings and that was a way light load compared to what it could handle. Also consider that almost all reloading manuals list velocities off of a 24" barrel....I think that 24" is plenty long enough but that's me.

If you want to have the barrel there ready to put on make sure you get a 1-10" twist. But to actually need to rebarrel, I know people have gotten great life out of 300WM, and it isn't just how hard you push the bullet, even more damage comes from "stringing" or shooting just as fast as you can run the bolt.

Shooting buddy burned a 6x47 barrel if 1200rds.....he liked to string! It was 1200rds right Tribe?
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dontstrokeme</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Check in the Optics section on determining your needed ring heigth.

I had a Pacnor #8 25" in an McMillan A3 and it was very barrel heavy and deffinatly not a run and gun rifle. So if you think that you might ever be inclined to go play run and gun in a match with it, you might go with a lighter contour like the Sendro or Varmint contour....or have it fluted to try to keep the balance.

For length I was able to work extremly well with the 25" barrel, 72gr of RL22 got 3050FPS average and that was a way light load compared to what it could handle. Also consider that almost all reloading manuals list velocities off of a 24" barrel....I think that 24" is plenty long enough but that's me.

If you want to have the barrel there ready to put on make sure you get a 1-10" twist. But to actually need to rebarrel, I know people have gotten great life out of 300WM, and it isn't just how hard you push the bullet, even more damage comes from "stringing" or shooting just as fast as you can run the bolt.

Shooting buddy burned a 6x47 barrel if 1200rds.....he liked to string! It was 1200rds right Tribe?
laugh.gif
</div></div>

i don't plan on run and gun not exactly what that is but i can imagine. i tried to see what twist my barrel was and if i remember right it was like 11.5 iirc it didn't sound right.barrel is stainless and code on tube said it was made in 1969 what twist options could i have?