• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Gunsmithing Barrel twist for 7mm. Wildcat

Re: Barrel twist for 7mm. Wildcat

Although the 1:9 works fine in my 7WSM and my brother's .284 winchester for the Berger 180s, we are running them at a minimum of 2,800 fps (my brother's .284; 2,900 in my WSM), I would be inclined to go 1:8.5 or possibly 1:8 for a velocity below 2,700 fps, especially if you are going to be running it in the winter when the air density is higher.

JeffVN

Thanks for the replies. I'm playing with a (747) 7x47 Lapua. I've got it to 2,700+ with 180gr. JLK this summer without any trouble in a 30" barrel 1:9tw, is fine in the summer but I think is going to be to slow this winter.

Thanks,
John

The KLK and Berger are close enough to being the same length sa ask Berger they say that only a 9 twist is needed for a 180gr 7mm projectile but a little faster twist can not hurt you could use an 8 twist. In the 7X47 Lapua i would use a lighter projectile though you are realy asking a lot pushing them from the small case capacity i would look at using a 162-168gr projectile.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BIGBUCKINBAMA</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Thanks for the replies. I'm playing with a (747) 7x47 Lapua. I've got it to 2,700+ with 180gr. JLK this summer without any trouble in a 30" barrel 1:9tw, is fine in the summer but I think is going to be to slow this winter.

Thanks,
John</div></div>

Wow, that makes me wonder what's possible with lapua 308 palma brass necked down to 7mm.