• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Gunsmithing Barrels who do you think is the best for 6.5

Re: Barrels who do you think is the best for 6.5

They offer 6.5's in 1:8", 1:9" and 1:10" twists, lengths up to 28" without a premium, and blanks up to 32".

Conservative builders will recommend 1:8" for 140's, but I'm wondering whether a long one in 1:9" might work. Maybe not, but it could be very good for the brand new 123SMK's, and I'd like to see how fast I can drive a 95gr V-max in a 1:10" twist. I think a 28" might get to 3500fps, or maybe even better.

Greg

I talk with L W today. They are still their normal lead times(3 to 7 weeks).That isn't a bad lead time at all.

Bartlien called me today and said my 243 barrel I order back in Dec. would be getting done in a couple of weeks or so.

I talked with a friend of mine yesterday that has a barrel on order from bartlien. They have told him 2 weeks Since October of 2008. They kinda be stringing me the same way.
I have a Suregon Action waiting on a barrel. It has been 5 months. I canceled my 6.5 with them.
I'am try to decide between the L W barrels and the Rock Creek. Rock Creek is a hide sponsor, how great is the barrel. Shooting, running a bore scope checking the lands.
Greg it seems you have done your research on L W Barrels. I'am strongly lieing your LW way.

Dar, I ordered a Bartlein .260 on 1 December 08 and it took 4 months (after they sadi 2.5 months). I'm excited to finally have it, but was a bit unhappy with the way they kept bumping back their run of .260's because they "had to get something else out".

I order a 243 barrel on 12/15/08. I talked with them in Jan. about putting an action on the barrel. Frank told me it would take 7 to 10 days. Feb. sent the action to them after calling them. Barrel is waiting on the action. No problem will get it done. Now the barrel will be made in May. Then the action would be put on. This could a 8 month process.
I called today and canceled the orders. Told them to send back the Action. I will have it built under a month. They never use to be like this. Maybe as they get bigger. They feed people full of shit.
I don't mind alot of things. But if you tell me something, I will believe what you say. If something comes up, I will understand and make due for more time (no problem). That will be the last bartlein barrel experience I will deal with.
Good product but terrible service.

Guys, The amount of work that came into our shop in Nov. and Dec. and early Jan. was unbelievable. We have no way of knowing how much work is going to come and when.

Also everyone in the firearms industry seems to be buried in one form or another. People are buying guns, building guns and buying ammo in record numbers. This is effecting everyone! From builders to manufacturers to shooters.

Everyone knows how hard it is to find primers and powders etc...this effects the average guy in other ways. All of the gun barrel makers who make ammunition test barrels are also swamped. The ammunition makers, component makers such as powder, primers, bullets etc....are ordering test barrels and want them a.s.a.p. also and we are giving them long lead times as well.

If things seem to get caught up for us over the next month or so and the orders back off for the next month or so we will be getting caught up if we get a blip in orders again though the lead times will stay out there long. In late Jan. and Feb. we started telling customers 4-6 months for a barrel right now and it has been on our website also. Currently we don't want to quote any lead times and be held to it if it is going to stay busy like it currently is. We don't have that crystal ball to forecast sales/work load.

With all this being said we are making changes here. We have another guy to help in the office on the phones for tech. service and taking orders etc.....

We also just finish rebuilding the other side of a gun drill and is online starting this week.

We also are finishing putting together another new rifling machine. This is our 3rd two spindle cnc rifling machine. This will be on line in about 6 weeks.

We are asking everyone to be patient and we know most of you have been. Remember we are in the same boat as everyone else.

Some manufacturers of guns are no longer even taking any more orders and have stopped answering the phone all together because they are buried. What is going on in the industry is effecting us all.

Later, Frank
Bartlein Barrels

Lets all call up Federal and ask them where our primers are.

A lot of these outfits are swamped right now...give them a break.

Frank is an honest man doing the best he can to keep up in very hectic times.

Im running 5 Barlein barrels currently and in my opinion they are
a notch above everything else Ive used in the past. to me its worth the wait.

I understand the demand for products has risen to unbelieveable heights. I also have a Bartlien 6.5 barrel that I'am shooting right now. It shoots in the 1s. Like I said great product. I would have like to stay with Bartlien barrels but I had to make a decision on my needs.
I have one gun getting built right now. I order a barrel from Sinclair Int. that is a Bartlien. Sinclair carries them in stock. I wanted a 8 twist but settled for an 8/5 twist. It should be built within 3 weeks for me.
I will try the L W barrels. I talk with them and they are still on there normal lead times of 3 to 7 weeks. Greg has given good options of them. Is this the best barrel on the market. ?? I think barrel makers today with the equipment they are using are good. I have shot Siliens for awhile. They are also a good barrel. When I talk to my Gunsmith about the barrel I chose for my 260. He recommended Siliens. I went with Bartlein because of Frank. I like what he said back then. Now he has order a barrel 7 months ago and ask me how it is going with getting a barrel. He said He was told 2 weeks a few times. This just got me thinking to find something new.
Now I need a barrel. I shoot alot and barrels are replaceable. I order one I thought would have been in time for a new one. On the 243 my son is shooting in a match in 2 weeks. The barrel is throat out. I have to seat the bullets out to 2.970 to come close to the lands. What to do? Time for a barrel. I can't wait on if could of or maybe.
Frank has a great product if you can wait for it.

We keep coming back to the term 'best'.

It's a term that's got a lot of component parts. I don't know what's the best barrel on the market, but if you can't get one in a reasonable amount of time, then it's not 'the best' no matter how wonderful its other attributes are.

I do know that my next barrel will be an L-W, but I'm not going to try and tell anyone they're any better than any other barrels. I just happen to know about them personally, and have seen similar excellent results with Shilen, Pac-Nor, and Douglas in the hands of other shooters. I can't speak about other barrels, simply because they are outside my personal experience.

Yes, there could well be an indirect relationship between longer barrel length and slower twist, but the key factor here is muzzle velocity and resulting rpm. The more rpm, the more stability, and a longer barrel allows the same velocity with less pressure than the shorter barrel.

Beyond that, stability is still a factor of rpm and bullet length, and it does not necessarily, or directly follow that you can get away with less twist in a longer barrel. The only way to know for sure is to try it, and if you guess wrong, you just hung a barrel on your rifle that is not going to do what you had in mind.

That's why I said that conservative advice will favor the 1:8" twist for LR-optimized bullets in a 6.5mm diameter. This is a question I specifically asked L-W, and they (rightfully) declined to confirm or deny the suitibility of a particular twist for my application. It was rightful because they cannot exercise any control over how I choose to employ that barrel, and I will tell you the same thing.

These days, 'best' is a flexible term. I would be comfortable with L-W, Shilen, Pac-Nor, and Douglas, and based on Frank's endorsements, Bartlein as well. These days, I would not seek 'the best', but rather, accept the fact that among (at least) all these, your needs will be served; and that a barrel in the hand is better than delivery commitment that has been missed by a mile.

I know about L-W because of some small collaboration I once had with them several years ago with a particular product's inception, but the part I played was very small, and I did gain some one-time personal benefit from the process. I would prefer to keep my confidence regarding the specifics.

Aside from that, my role is simply that of just another customer, and a satisfied one at that. My endorsement stems solely from that role.

Greg

I think with all the choices out there. I agree with you on that. I needed a barrel put on by now. I thought it was to be done. I may have misunderstood the sitiaion. I take half or even all the blame. It does not matter to me. I'am not to big of a person not to be able to admit I was wrong.
I think I will be happy with a LW barrel. It is on order. I think I would be happy with alot of the barrels that have been talked about. Rock, Pac, Border,Shiliens etc..
I have read on L W and they have been around a long time. Must be doing something right.

Please note that L-W does not recommend the use of abrasive bore cleaners with their products.

It has been my experience that they have not been even remotely necessary, and that bronze brushing isn't even something that seems to be all that necessary either.

I have used Outer's Bore Foam since I discovered it shortly after installing this barrel, and borescoping has proven it to be highly adequate for restoring the bore to an extremely clean condition when used each time the rifle returns home from the range.

The only time it failed to remove all fouling and a carbon ring made an apperance was after an extended series of daily shooting sessions without cleaning in between. I simply added some judicious bronze brushing and additional waiting after the foam had collapsed, and the bore returned to its very clean condition.

My bore has been periodically borescoped since its installation, cared for with intense attention to safeguarding the bore in storage, cleaning, and in use; and had been kept way from especially hot loads. If I were to accept the term anal, this would be the subject where I'd not be arguing.

Do I clean obsessively? Probably, but I also take great care to avoid cleaning damage. For me, a custom barrel is a rare luxury, and one which I may not ever be able to afford again. My attitude toward my barrel may be obsessive, but so what? I think it's worth it.

Greg

I clean about every 200 rounds. Maybe to much, maybe to little. That is just what I do. I do not have a bore scope. Although that would be nice.
I run the load to its best perforance. I do not subsitute speed for accuracy. I think barrel life is a concern for anybody. Barrels are replaceable but try to get as much out of what you got.

When selecting a barrel its not "Whats best" but whats winning matches. Most of the guys that shoot 6.5-284 or any .264 bore shoot Broughton and Kreiger. They produce very good barrels in that bore diameter. Its hard to beat a Broughton in .264 or .284 bore diameters.

I have the L W barrel on order right now. I have a couple of guns that will need rebarrel in a few months. I will get a barrel then. The Broughton is a top choice or I will go Krieger.

Talked with Broughton today. They seem like a good group of people there. He took some time and talked about the his barrels and why. Told him about my sons barrel throated out. He said he would see what he could do about trying to get it done for him. I'am kinda liking the Broughton barrels. I ordered one. Read good things about them and after talking to them. I have some confidence in them. I will keep this updated. Ordered on 5/01/09.

I have email Bartlien to send back the action and trigger. I was going to have them put the action and the barrel together. But I decided since the barrel isn't going to be done. I would have my Gunsmith just build it this month for me. I sent them an email last week and call. I ask to have it overnighted back to me and I would pay for the shipping. I haven't heard anything back from them. I don't understand what is going on there. I haven't got any response back yet. I thought I would have my action and trigger back by now. I will give them a more time. It doesn't take to much time to ship my action and trigger back. How deep is this rabbit hole.
Any suggestions???

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Iread they have wonalot of matches with that barrel. That is always a good sign </div></div>

I think any of the top manufacturers barrels have won a lot of matches! Another good sign!
grin.gif

I currently have a 27 inch Lothar Walther 1:8 .260 that is about @1500 down range. Average sub .5 in at 100 meters (5 shot) and am thinking about the next barrell. Will probably go with a Krieger (finally have availability in France) or a Border.
I do brush the LW barrell maybe once every 6 months or so. Typically with KG-1 or a Black Powder Carbon Remover. And use Robala Solo Mil and more recently KG 12 for copper.
Am happy with the LW but would like something a little better.

I'am going with the Broughten barrel for this gun. I will see how it shoots. I won another match with the Bartlien barrel the other day. That is two matches so far.

But that is another story. I hope the Broughton shoots great. I will find out shortly. I will keep the results posted on the Broughton barrels.

I've only had one Hart but it was amazing, I have a Kreiger that works well (really, really). I found that 1 in 8 twist is best all round, I've had 3 1 in 9's and they were distinctly more difficult to get accuracy from, I am not sure exactly why as I did shoot lighter bullets in them.

What is the big difference between the two? Alot of people like one or the other.
You see a mix of both winning and shooting excellent groups. Is it longer barrel life they are claiming or what?

Dar, your looking way too much into this barrel thing. Just get the Broughton and shoot it. There barrels are amazing. Jered wouldnt put them on the rifles he builds if they were not good.

I attempted to order two 6.5 barrels from Bartlein a couple of weeks back. I called both morning and afternoon for four straight days, and no one answered the phone. Fed up, I called Krieger and ordered my barrels in less than 5 minutes.

I got an email on Sat. saying they were going to ship my action and trigger back. I got the fedx # Monday. Should recieve it on Weds. Now I will have to get together a rifle. Broughton said he would do the best he could to try and get me one earlier.
Even if it is the same lead time. That would be okay. He answers when you call.
Krieger I think is a bigger company that produces winning barrels. They are usually in the mix.

My next barrel will be a Rock. Started a new post about them. Alot of good feedback on them. They are also sponsers of the Hide. That is a good sign there to.

Take a look at Benchmark Barrels. I have one on my .260 Rem and it's wicked accurate. Cleans like a dream too.

Talk to Kevin Rayhill at Stockade Rifle Stocks. He's a Benchmark dealer.

Well I recieved 2 Kreiger 1/8 twist today. I will have a rifle in 1 week. The other 2 will be done in 3 weeks. Finally progress.

The Broughton barrel is on order. This fall Rock Creek said they may do a group buy. I will wait for Rock Creek Group buy. Thanks for the help

I hope Broughton is the best:)--that's what I have coming for my 6.5x47. It was between Broughton and Krieger for me and since my smith deals with Broughton, that solved it.

I think they are both good barrels from what I read. Both have won matches and have a proven track record. I have 1 on order but I think it is going to take a little while to get it. No hurry now.