• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Gunsmithing Barrels who do you think is the best for 6.5

Re: Barrels who do you think is the best for 6.5

Here is a picture of the gun. I loaded the same as I shoot in my other 260 but 1 tenth of a gr more. My son shot 6 rounds. It measured .384 minus the .264 brings it to .120 not bad. I think he is ready for the match.

gun028.jpg

IMG00018.jpg

So last week I get a 243 barrel ordered back in December. I thought to myself I guess I will find a home for it.

Suprise Today. The 6.5 barrel from bartlien I canceled shows up today. WTF I called them and talked with them 4 days after ordering the barrel and they said it would get canceled. This is why I posted this.
Since I posted this I have built 3 rifles. My son won 1 match with it last weekend. I plan on shooting the next match with the other one.

I do believe that will be the last barrel from them. They are alittle screwed up. The list does not stop. Never use to be like that. I will keep the barrels, I will need them someday. The point is IF you cancel an order and they agree on the canceling the order. I think maybe they should not ship the product and bill me for this. Otherwise I wouldn't have built the other 2 rifles in the meantime..WTF

I know we are not benchrest shooters over here but if you have ever looked at there equipment list you will see that Krieger, and broughton, and a few shilens. Krieger is the kind of accuracy of the bench boys. those guys spends tons of money on there rigs and they buy the best barrels that are available. Krieger wins this question hands down. Are there other barrels just as good? Yes but the difference is 100% of krieger barrels shoot well. very very very seldom do you here about a krieger that doesnt shoot. as a matter a fact i have never herd anyone say this. Kriegers are consistent, and consistency wins!! Krieger for me please!! I do have a Brux and so far it seems fine. Lee

I have 2 kriegers that I will start shooting nex week. Both are built in a 260 cal. I can't wait to work with them. I haven't heard anything bad about them. When I ordered them from Bruno shooting supplies, I got them in 3 days. Now I haven't had time to mess with them. Next week I will be more freed up.

The 2 barrels I recieved the other day are bartlin barrels and the shoot great. I just didn't need them. I will shoot out the other barrels this year. So I will need them later.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dar</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here is a picture of the gun. I loaded the same as I shoot in my other 260 but 1 tenth of a gr more. My son shot 6 rounds. It measured .384 minus the .264 brings it to .120 not bad. I think he is ready for the match.

gun028.jpg

IMG00018.jpg
</div></div>

What cleaning rods are those in the 1st picture?

I have read on them some. I think they have different grades of barrels somewhat like shiliens. I kinda of like the barrels all to be match quaility. Wheter it is a sporter or palma. I wouldnt' pay 50 dollars less to get a lesser grade barrel.

dar, I am looking to build my first rifle in 260 Rem, also thinking about getting a Krieger HV contour 6.5mm 1-8tw from Bruno, so just have a couple of questions for you if you don't mind?

1. What is the finished length of your Kriegers? Wondering if you have chrono'ed your loads to see what kind of velocities you've been getting, and what weight bullet do you typically load?

2. When I went onto Bruno's there were quite a few Krieger 6.5s listed for sale, did you order from that list? Not sure if they are in stock and haven't gotten a response from them. Which profile did you go with?

Question for everyone else, does Krieger have a equivalent of the Rock 5R rifling? My usual range only extends to 600 yards max so not really sure if having that "feature" helps in any way. I do plan on eventually hitting up a 1000+ yards range some day so hoping to get feedbacks on minimum length of barrel to achieve good accuracy to that point...

Thanks!

I like the 26" barrel length a little better than 24". I have both but about 50 fps faster. I think the 1/8 twist or even 8.5 twist will work. Most of the loads chrono 2848fps. I use the chrono at load development but after that field use mostly.
I like the medium palma contour. Depends on the wieght you want. I don't mind some weight dpending on the gun use. You should be able to shoot 1000yds no problem. You shoot alot from 600 to 800yds. We have plenty of room left.

hard to get a bad barrel nowadays..... have shot them all in 6.5 mm. benchmark, broughton, krieger, bartlein, spencer, shilen, etc......latest and greatest barrel I have gotten that gives me bug nuts accuracy and a longer barrel life is the Schneider canted land barrel. price is very reasonable and Gary is a good guy. David Tubb uses schneider barrels exclusively if that says anything. hope that helps--good shooting!