Rifle Scopes Barska Sniper Scope questions

Tahunua001

Private
Minuteman
Jul 15, 2011
classified
hello all,
I want to start by saying that I'm new to this forum and fairly new to the world of fire arms so if I am putting out bad information, please correct me.
that said,

I recently saw a sale on Barska sniper scopes. I used to have one of their bottom shelf wally world scopes(4x fixed zoom) on a marlin 60 and me and a buddy were able to shoot empty 22 casings at about 50-60 yards. long story short I bought a 6x24x50mm sniper scope(that's the actual name of the scope)with illuminated mildot reticule and THEN started doing research on it only to find a LOT of negativity and not much in the way silver lining. however most of what I'm hearing is "I've heard bad things" or "my buddy had one and hated it". so I was wondering if anyone has had personal experience with these scopes. also I have an AK, an archangel 10/22 conversion and a weatherby 300 for options to put said scope on, which would I probably have the most luck putting it on

Re: Barska Sniper Scope questions

I would put it on the one with the least amount of recoil. Your 300 would destroy it. Barska is just cheap Chinese junk. You get what you pay for big time with optics.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheOneTwo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would put it on the one with the least amount of recoil. Your 300 would destroy it. Barska is just cheap Chinese junk. You get what you pay for big time with optics. </div></div> not to call you on your word since I'm sure you know more than I do but I have 3 nikon prostaffs (a 3x9 on my .243 a 3x9bdc on an AR15 and a 4x12mildot that's currently on the 300 and not one of those cost me more than $180 and I'd recommend them to anyone asking about them.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tahunua</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheOneTwo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would put it on the one with the least amount of recoil. Your 300 would destroy it. Barska is just cheap Chinese junk. You get what you pay for big time with optics. </div></div> not to call you on your word since I'm sure you know more than I do but I have 3 nikon prostaffs (a 3x9 on my .243 a 3x9bdc on an AR15 and a 4x12mildot that's currently on the 300 and not one of those cost me more than $180 and I'd recommend them to anyone asking about them.</div></div>

Note to self, don't buy anything Tahunua recommends

haha as long as people have a sense of humor about it I'm fine with it, some other forums i belong to everyone is so sensitive that you cant counter a word they say without them getting made and writing you a 3 page essay before reporting you for abuse

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Alaskaman 11</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Should I call Boltripper before this gets going? </div></div>

Don't forget to start the popcorn too.....

Boltripper and popcorn....yea! Should be fun for all.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tahunua</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: TheOneTwo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I would put it on the one with the least amount of recoil. Your 300 would destroy it. Barska is just cheap Chinese junk. You get what you pay for big time with optics. </div></div> not to call you on your word since I'm sure you know more than I do but I have 3 nikon prostaffs (a 3x9 on my .243 a 3x9bdc on an AR15 and a 4x12mildot that's currently on the 300 and not one of those cost me more than $180 and I'd recommend them to anyone asking about them. </div></div>

Yup, I have a Vortex VIper that I paid $150 for and it is an excellent scope. I have a Bushnell 4200 I paid $200 an it is a great scope. I also have a $1900 Swaro Z6 and it smokes that Vortex and Bushnell in every possible way. But that does not mean they don't get hte job done.

But, those are all plain jane hunting scopes. No fancy bells and whistles. They are not designed to do the things a precision rifle scope does. A "Barfska Sniper Scope" has all the bells and whistles that they claim you need. Which means in order to fund all those bells and whistles that had to cut corners on everything to make it work.(well at least work on paper) Glass, internals, illumination, adjustments, etc etc. Trust me, I have been through the BSA, Tasco, Barfska NcStar phase. I have owned them all. Every single one of them has broke on me. Most of them broke on Ruger 10/22s. I put a BSA on a Savage .308 and the whole eye piece just popped right off the tube.
wink.gif
it was pretty comical.

Hunting scope and precision rifle scope are two completely different beasts. A Baska Sniper scope is trying to market itself as a precision rifle scope. They just don't cut it.

As stated previously, you get what you pay for BIG TIME with optics.

What do you get fore your money when you plunk down a big chunk of cash for a scope?

Tracking - when you twist the dial up 30 MOA, your point of impact moves up 30 MOA
Zero retention - once you set a zero, the scope holds it regardless of recoil, temperature or time.
Waterproof - rain, snow, mud, paint and chemicals wont affect the scope
Fogproof - will not fog up regardless of ambient temp, pressure or humidity
Durability - withstands drops and bumps but continues to operate correctly
Warranty - if it does happen to fail, the manufacturer will make it right
Glass - image appears distortion free with excellent clarity

There are a bunch more smaller details and functions also, but those are the heavy hitters. Barska has very few, if any, of the above listed features.

I've owned one of these pieces of Chinese junk. And my conclusion was that Barska makes wonderful boat anchor, paperweights, and targets. But they suck at making scopes. You would be better off going out and using your money to start a camp fire. At least that way your money will do something useful for you.

You don't have to spend a huge sum of money to get a decent scope. But you do get what you pay for. Over the years I've owned a bunch of different scopes and figured a few things out. If you want the best then you are going to pay for it. But if you are just after something functional and suiting your needs then you can get that without a second mortgage. Point being that if you poke around here enough and do some reading then you will find plenty of economical and viable optic choices, but NEVER trust a gun magazine or guy at a gun show.

There are a lot of other things that are better than Barska Scopes. In no particular order...

Genital Herpes
Being lit on fire
Becoming Paraplegic
Being eaten alive by a bear
Voting for Obama
Impregnating your sister

All of these things are better than a Barska, and there are many more, but I think you get the point. You are always better taking whatever money you are about to spend on a Barska and going and blowing it on a hooker. Even if the hooker turns out to have a penis that is still better than getting a Barska.

EZ
EZ

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Erick Z</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There are a lot of other things that are better than Barska Scopes. In no particular order...

Genital Herpes
Being lit on fire
Becoming Paraplegic
Voting for Obama
Impregnating your sister

All of these things are better than a Barska, and there are many more, but I think you get the point. You are always better taking whatever money you are about to spend on a Barska and going and blowing it on a hooker. Even if the hooker turns out to have a penis that is still better than getting a Barska.

EZ
EZ
</div></div>
holy crap you had me crying when I read this haha

Here is what you do. First, ditch the Barska.

Now, head over to SWFA and order one of the Bushnell 3200 10x40 tactical scopes. They are on sale for $130 including a set of rings. You won't find a better deal on an entry level tactical scope than that.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ray_Finkle</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Erick Z</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There are a lot of other things that are better than Barska Scopes. In no particular order...

Genital Herpes
Being lit on fire
Becoming Paraplegic
Voting for Obama
Impregnating your sister

EZ
EZ
</div></div>
holy crap you had me crying when I read this haha </div></div>

Impregnating your sister! I dropped my iPad on that one!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Erick Z</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There are a lot of other things that are better than Barska Scopes. In no particular order...

Genital Herpes
Being lit on fire
Becoming Paraplegic
Voting for Obama
Impregnating your sister

EZ
EZ
</div></div>

haha ok point taken, so I think my plan is going to be to slap this POS on the 10/22 shoot about 3 or 4 bricks out of it and then tie it to a rope and use it as an anchor

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tahunua</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Erick Z</div><div class="ubbcode-body">There are a lot of other things that are better than Barska Scopes. In no particular order...

Genital Herpes
Being lit on fire
Becoming Paraplegic
Voting for Obama
Impregnating your sister

EZ
EZ
</div></div>

haha ok point taken, so I think my plan is going to be to slap this POS on the 10/22 shoot about 3 or 4 bricks out of it and then tie it to a rope and use it as an anchor </div></div>
smartest thing you've said all thread long

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ray_Finkle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">do yourself a favor and at LEAST bump up to a tasco, that's some real glass </div></div>
Damn, I didn't know we had an ex-Miami Dolphins kicker on this board! Hey Ray, LACES OUT!!!
grin.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Dave308</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ray_Finkle</div><div class="ubbcode-body">do yourself a favor and at LEAST bump up to a tasco, that's some real glass </div></div>
Damn, I didn't know we had an ex-Miami Dolphins kicker on this board! Hey Ray, LACES OUT!!!
grin.gif
</div></div>

einhorn is finkle...finkle is einhorn...EINHORN IS A MAN!

Haha, you said "mounting" a rubber chicken......

Sorry could not help myself.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Powder Burns</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The Barska/NCstar/BSA stuff is comparable to mounting a rubber chicken on your rifle. Just sets yourself up for some good laughs. </div></div>

Seiously though, my impression of Barska, Tasco, BSA, etc are that these are products that are made to look like quality LR optics and appeal to rednecks and weekend warriors who dont know or have any interest in knowing what exit pupil, differences in lens coatings, tube construction, etc, are. They just want something that looks "bad ass".

This is the same metality as guys who think some white owl or dutch master cigars at 7-11 are the same thing as an Arturo Fuente Opus X cigar, the those expensive cigars are just a "rip off".......

If money is an issue, I would sell the AK and ghetto 10/22 and put that money into a decent entry or mid level quality optic. The Nikon Buckmaster mil dot series for example are very nice glass for not alot of money as are some of the Burris products.

Ballistic Archer said:
Seiously though, my impression of Barska, Tasco, BSA, etc are that these are products that are made to look like quality LR optics and appeal to rednecks and weekend warriors

Hey! Why did you go and drag us Red Necks into this Crap fest?

No offense Jon, but you are from Virginia......

Actually I was refering the rednecks that think the stuff in the "Sportsmans Guide" catalog is the top of the line. I mean hell, where else can you get a "sniper scope", a pistol bayonett and plastic bubba teeth all in one place.

Comon, admit it, we all have met these guys.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tahunua</div><div class="ubbcode-body">...and THEN started doing research on it only to find a LOT of negativity and not much in the way silver lining. however most of what I'm hearing is "I've heard bad things" or "my buddy had one and hated it". so I was wondering if anyone has had personal experience with these scopes.</div></div>
The reason why not too many people will have first-hand experience is because most people know what Barska is and what they produce. Having worked in the firearms and optics sales industry for several years, I've looked through many Barska scopes. Barska has sold a lot of scopes out of their blister packs. Why? Because people can't look through the scopes when they're in blister packs.
We know their pieces of crap. We don't need to buy them and actually have time behind a gun to know they're junk. Besides, most of us have read Ilya's review, and that's worth it's weight in gold.

I had a 3-9x42mm Barska, after 12 months the front lens fell out!

But sportsmansguide.com gave me a full refund, including return shipping and the initial shipping.

sell it on ebarf and buy a real scope.
there is NO reason to waste time and ammo and money on a piece of crap.
you can buy used VXIII leupold from $350 and up,
nikon and bushnell even cheaper (stay with the nicer ones)
if you cant afford that, you cant afford ammo.
put it on your 10/22 if you want to get the cheap tacticool out of your system.
value is getting something usable for a good price. you bought a POS at a good price.

But wait you say, its worked in the past.
Ill be willing to bet with a tiny bit of use that the Barka will
1. lack clarity and brightness of decent scopes
2. movements aren't repeatable and consitant for each click
3. eye relief is crappy (prob bloody your nose at 24x!)
4. it will break when you want to go shooting, and you will waste ammo diagonsing the problem
5. I would like to see if it has the same zero at 6 power as it does at 24

Good luck, and keep in mind that we all have wasted $, the smarter ones of us learn from it. buy nice, cry once!

Best
TK

First off I am a Redneck, although I detest the term and think it is derrogatory in todays use of the word. The term was actually first used to describe striking miners many of whom wore red bandannas around their necks during the Mingo County/Matawan Mine Wars of 1920. It was certainly used as a derrogatory term then to describe a working man who simply wanted betetr working conditions and better pay for an extremely dangerous job. I digress.
I have owned one Barfka scope and it was the worst piece of glass I have ever owned. It could only be used in clear bright sunlight and it had to have a long homemade sunshade or it picked up incredibale glare inside the tube. I used it for 5 months on a IHMSA competition pistol of mine. I did very well with it but it was a constant struggle. I had to continually chase the zero sometimes even during a match. It was on sale when I bought it and that was a big selling point but ultimately $160 wasted. I gave it away because I could not in good conscience sell it to a fellow redneck. As others have said, you get what you pay for.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ballistic Archer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No offense Jon, but you are from Virginia......

Actually I was refering the rednecks that think the stuff in the "Sportsmans Guide" catalog is the top of the line. I mean hell, where else can you get a "sniper scope", a pistol bayonett and plastic bubba teeth all in one place.

</div></div>

Yes every weekend at the range....I have seen more $1000 AR's with a $50 Barska, NCStar, I just cannot figure this one out. I looked through a NCStar one time and it was like looking through a 6.5 oz Coke bottle

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 77Bronc</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ballistic Archer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">No offense Jon, but you are from Virginia......

</div></div>

Yes every weekend at the range....I have seen more $1000 AR's with a $50 Barska, NCStar, I just cannot figure this one out. I looked through a NCStar one time and it was like looking through a 6.5 oz Coke bottle

77 </div></div>
classic....blowing your load on a nice rifle and skimping on glass, ensures that no matter how good you get, your rifle will never reach its potential

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ballistic Archer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Seiously though, my impression of Barska, Tasco, BSA, etc are that these are products that are made to look like quality LR optics and appeal to rednecks and weekend warriors who dont know or have any interest in knowing what exit pupil, differences in lens coatings, tube construction, etc, are. They just want something that looks "bad ass".

This is the same metality as guys who think some white owl or dutch master cigars at 7-11 are the same thing as an Arturo Fuente Opus X cigar, the those expensive cigars are just a "rip off".......

If money is an issue, I would sell the AK and ghetto 10/22 and put that money into a decent entry or mid level quality optic. The Nikon Buckmaster mil dot series for example are very nice glass for not alot of money as are some of the Burris products </div></div>

ok first things first,
1. I am a redneck
2. The main reason I bought this POS without researching it first was "the cool factor"(not a proud moment for me)
3. What do cigars have to do with the situation at hand? you may as well have gone off on a tangent about your favorite brand of toilet paper(mine's Charmin if you really want to know).
4. What redneck in his right mind would sell his AK and 10/22 in exchange for optics? I own 7 guns and each serves a purpose
.300 weatherby(for if I want to kill anything in north america)
.243 rem 700(my first hunting rifle that I inherited from my dad so just a little bit on sentimental value is involved)
AR15 ((new deer/coyote/cougar/wolf(when they offer tags for them) rifle))
ak47 (costs 1/3 to plink with compared to the ar15)
ar15 9mm(for my sisters/mother/lady friends that don't like the recoil of the ak)
10/22 (for ridding myself of pests or just keeping my shooting skills sharp for cheaper than anything else on the market)
the seventh is a .45 springer that is irrelevant to this forum.
so there, why would I waste a pair of perfectly good guns on a scope that doesn't serve any purpose by itself?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">just when i was taking a really good bowel movement.....this

my schpinkter will never be the same again i laugh so hard</div></div>

dont blow a gasket, those are usually hard to replace in late models from what I hear

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tahunua</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">just when i was taking a really good bowel movement.....this

my schpinkter will never be the same again i laugh so hard</div></div>

dont blow a gasket, those are usually hard to replace in late models from what I hear</div></div>

i'm an earlier model......

complete your profile please

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

complete your profile please</div></div>

my mistake, profile complete, hope you enjoy

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tahunua</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BOLTRIPPER</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

complete your profile please</div></div>

my mistake, profile complete, hope you enjoy </div></div>

Tahunua
Loc: classified
Laugh%20Above.gif

For all the guys who are saying "you get what you pay for," I think it is more accurate to say "you don't get what you don't pay for." That is, it is easy to pay a lump of cash for something that blows (those magic ninja sniper scopes from Sprotsman's Guide come to mind) but you rarely get something of good quality without paying for it.

For the OP, I would recommend giving the Barska to a little kid that likes airsoft and saving up the $250 bucks to buy a SS 10x scope from SampleList.com. The Bushnell 3200s are "sold out" rather than simply out of stock at this point.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stiletto raggio</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For all the guys who are saying "you get what you pay for," I think it is more accurate to say "you don't get what you don't pay for." That is, it is easy to pay a lump of cash for something that blows (those magic ninja sniper scopes from Sprotsman's Guide come to mind) but you rarely get something of good quality without paying for it.

<span style="font-weight: bold">For the OP, I would recommend giving the Barska to a little kid that likes airsoft and saving up the $250 bucks to buy a SS 10x scope from SampleList.com. The Bushnell 3200s are "sold out" rather than simply out of stock at this point.</span></div></div>

+1 I had a buddy return two Barska scopes before he finally listened to what I had to say.

Aron-

I cant cure your redneck(ism)but in response to your comments:

- I like charmin as well.
- Cigars have something to do with every situation, if you dont see it, its on you.
- I dont know what redneck would swap 2 guns for good optics but I sure as hell would, I have sold a gun to fund the purchase of top shelf bino's.
- You are right scopes dont "serve any purpose all by itself", nothing further to add this speaks for itself.
- Good rifles and optics are like good women, good whiskey and good food. You really dont know what you are missing if you havent had any.

Best of luck.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tahunua</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ballistic Archer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Seiously though, my impression of Barska, Tasco, BSA, etc are that these are products that are made to look like quality LR optics and appeal to rednecks and weekend warriors who dont know or have any interest in knowing what exit pupil, differences in lens coatings, tube construction, etc, are. They just want something that looks "bad ass".

If money is an issue, I would sell the AK and ghetto 10/22 and put that money into a decent entry or mid level quality optic. The Nikon Buckmaster mil dot series for example are very nice glass for not alot of money as are some of the Burris products </div></div>

ok first things first,
1. I am a redneck
2. The main reason I bought this POS without researching it first was "the cool factor"(not a proud moment for me)
3. What do cigars have to do with the situation at hand? you may as well have gone off on a tangent about your favorite brand of toilet paper(mine's Charmin if you really want to know).
4. What redneck in his right mind would sell his AK and 10/22 in exchange for optics? I own 7 guns and each serves a purpose
.300 weatherby(for if I want to kill anything in north america)
.243 rem 700(my first hunting rifle that I inherited from my dad so just a little bit on sentimental value is involved)
AR15 ((new deer/coyote/cougar/wolf(when they offer tags for them) rifle))
ak47 (costs 1/3 to plink with compared to the ar15)
ar15 9mm(for my sisters/mother/lady friends that don't like the recoil of the ak)
10/22 (for ridding myself of pests or just keeping my shooting skills sharp for cheaper than anything else on the market)
the seventh is a .45 springer that is irrelevant to this forum.
so there, why would I waste a pair of perfectly good guns on a scope that doesn't serve any purpose by itself? </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ballistic Archer</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I cant cure your redneck(ism)but in response to your comments:

- I like charmin as well.
- Cigars have something to do with every situation, if you dont see it, its on you.
- I dont know what redneck would swap 2 guns for good optics but I sure as hell would, I have sold a gun to fund the purchase of top shelf bino's.
- You are right scopes dont "serve any purpose all by itself", nothing further to add this speaks for itself.
- Good rifles and optics are like good women, good whiskey and good food. You really dont know what you are missing if you havent had any.

Best of luck.

</div></div>

I agree with you there, cant miss what you've ever had. probably why I get so many chides on here when I say that I love my prostaffs. now, that said, I have been thinking about getting a good SS 3x9 but that stuffs so Gee Dern expensive(hence y predicament of getting stuck with cheapos)