• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

**Benchmark Barrels muzzle brake reveiw** with pics

Captain Kirk

Roberts Tactical Precison
Banned !
Benchmark barrels is primarily known for its world class barrels and top notch smithing services. Another very interesting product they offer are some very effective muzzle brakes. Benchmark Barrels - Muzzle Brakes
My first experience with the Benchmark Tactical brake was a year ago on a full custom build by Benchmark chambered in 338 Edge. My concerns with recoil on this rifle were high, considering the rifle weighed in at 12 lbs with optics. The Edge was fitted with a 28" barrel threaded and caped with a Benchmark Tactical brake. The Tactical brake has 3 large ports per side, 2 front ports, and 1 top port, and is a slab top design. The tactical brake is offered in 5 sizes, the brakes pictured being the "standard" versions. The brakes are threaded and use a clap system for ease of attaching/removal. The first time I fired this rifle I had anticipated a fair amount of recoil, I was surprised how well the Tactical brake tamed the 338 running 300gr Berger OTM Hybrids @ 2780 fps. Recoil was similar to a 30-06, muzzle climb was reduced considerably. The rifle torque remained considerable, but that is expected on a light weight large caliber rifle. I decided to run a few rounds through the rifle without the brake for comparison, I have always considered myself recoil tolerant. Recoil without a brake on a 338LM or edge can be compared to a 12g with bear slugs fired from the prone position, violent is a good way to describe the recoil. I needed to do it to accurately determine just how effective recoil was reduced. I would estimate the recoil reduction to be 60-70% with the Tactical brake.

Here is a pic of the Tactical brake on the 338 Edge
P7120522_zps9b431a98.jpg

The second test mule is a DTA SRS with two barrels, one 243 wearing a Benchmark Miller brake, and a 338LM with a Tactical brake. Both barrels were made by Benchmark using their in-house Gen2 style barrel extensions, both finished at 28". The 243 has never been known as a heavy recoiling round, my primary tac-match load has been 243 running 115 Tubb DTACs, so I wanted to see just how little recoil you could have with an effective brake. With the Miller brake, spotting impacts on target was effortless, I was even able to spot bullet trace on a few shots. Recoil was reduced by an estimated 50% and muzzle climb was very minor. The Miller brake is a low profile round barrel profile version with 3 ports per side, it is threaded and requires the brake or threading to be indexed, something any smith or Benchmark can do. The Miller brake is offered in 3 diameters form .760, .885 and 1.00 inch. Next is the 338LM wearing the larger Tactical brake. This is the same brake we ran on the 338 Edge, and the load very similar in velocity running 300gr Bergers. The weight of the DTA is considerably more than our first test rifle, recoil was even more manageable with the DTA in 338 running the Tactical brake. Recoil was similar to a 308 and muzzle climb was very mild as well, and spotting impacts was not a issue.

Now to the third rifle, a R Bros custom 243 Ackley Improved threaded and wearing a Benchmark Tactical brake. I was impressed by the Miller brake on the DTA 243 and wanted to see how much more effective the larger tactical brake was on a like caliber. Both the DTA and R Bros rifle sit within 1lb of each other and running 115s, strait 243 running 3000 fps and the AI running 3150 fps. During our session with this rifle, we noticed even less recoil than we had using the Miller brake, muzzle climb was completely negated due to the top port on the tactical brake, its a dream to shoot positional with this setup. One thing to note is that both brake designs to not increase noise or muzzle blast to a uncomfortable level. I never like when someone uses the term "quiet brake", no brake is quite but some direct more gas towards the shooter than others, and barrel length obviously plays a large role as well.

here are a few pics comparing the Miller and Tactical brakes
left to right; Miller brake on 243, Tactical brake on 338LM, Tactical brake on 243AI
P7120916_zps525bcd3f.jpg

P7120915_zps61f51491.jpg

P7120912_zps4150e99f.jpg

P7120907_zps2f2d3853.jpg

Last edited:
Will they open them up to caliber so you can just time them and go given your barrel is already threaded 5/8 x24

Yes, the brakes on the two 243s are slightly larger than 6mm, not just 308 like many manufacturers. They have different thread patterns as well, the 243s run 5/8-24 and the 338s are both 3/4-28 IIRC

Last edited:
i have the miller brake on a 24 inch 260 rem benchmark barrel, it practically nullified the recoil to a small hickup. I'll be looking and their tactical for my edge soon.
thanx for the review.
cheers.