benchmark rifle changed new pics

jasonahull

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 9, 2009
everett washington
first of all thank you for your input and suggestions,
from "ultimate bolt action rifle" and "getting a rifle reviewed threads."
i have been working for a while now with benchmark barrels to build good quality rifles to sell on their web site. last week i got a sneek preview of it, it is almost done. one area that will be on their site is rifles for sale.
we hope to build a wide range of rifles from smaller short action rifles all the way up to 408 cheytacs that will be ready to go, without a long wait.
here are some pics of one we just fininshed, i took them in my shop at home so forgive the lighting.
it has not been fired yet so i will post a target later.
i am just not real patient and would like to hear what you think, good or bad, i can take it.
this is lawton 7000 in 308.
we went with M40A1 contour 25" over all length 24" from the recoil lug
the shorter barrels seem to be popular, but with this rifle if a guy wants to reload or shoot match grade ammo it will do well with both, but still have the option to run the velocities up.
it is a 3 groove stainless steel barrel wtih a 1:11 twist.
we added flutes and a muzzle brake threaded 5/8x24 for most .30cal suppessors and it comes with a thread protector.
we went with a jewel 3ounce to 1 pound trigger.
for longer ranges or f class matches a lighter trigger is nice to have.
if a heavier trigger is what you like, having the side bolt release makes swapping triggers a matter of two pins and about 30 seconds.
mcmillan a5 stock no brainer.
we used titanium devcon for the pillars and recoil lug areas and skim coated the rest with marine tex.
the bedding goes about an inch past the chamber to support the extra weight of a suppressor.
We also painted the inleted areas of the stock with the darkest color on the stock because it looks better.
we went with the standard bdl on this one to keep the cost down.
the action and barrel are finished with flat black duracoat.
i think that is everything, so what do you think.
SANY0365.jpg

SANY0369.jpg

SANY0267.jpg

SANY0269.jpg

SANY0263.jpg

SANY0262.jpg

SANY0283.jpg

SANY0284.jpg

SANY0298.jpg

Re: benchmark rifle w /pictures

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dtac</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Looks great. How much will it cost?
also, stupid question- will it take magazines? </div></div>

it can be converted to a dbm system
prices will be worked out when the website is up.

it is going out to be broke in and tested with different ammo.
factory match and hand loads. as soon as the testing is done i will post the groups.
we went with black because it goes with anything, and we weren't sure what stock we were going to use.

ive used a couple of benchmark barrels and they shoot as well as ANYONES. as a matter of fact, i am calling next week to order a couple more. very nice rifle and i am sure it will be a shooter. i just finished a 308 for a friend with the 3 groove 11 twist remington varmint. love the 3 groove!

chuck

Wow all that and you went with a Rem FP, my price for Rem 700 factory and williams bottom metal is only like $90 bux dealer. You should look at trying to keep the cost down in another area, If your going to build a top notch rig, you might as well use a nice floorplate or DBM setup.

Williams $160
Fac Rem $70

Looks great either way, but I am fond of the A-5 desert.

BTW what the hell does a side bolt release have to do with the 2 pins in the trigger?
"if a heavier trigger is what you like, having the side bolt release makes swapping triggers a matter of two pins and about 30 seconds"

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poke</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow all that and you went with a Rem FP, my price for Rem 700 factory and williams bottom metal is only like $90 bux dealer. You should look at trying to keep the cost down in another area, If your going to build a top notch rig, you might as well use a nice floorplate or DBM setup.

Williams $160
Fac Rem $70

BTW what the hell does a side bolt release have to do with the 2 pins in the trigger?
"if a heavier trigger is what you like, having the side bolt release makes swapping triggers a matter of two pins and about 30 seconds" </div></div>
have you ever installed a remington trigger with the spring and bolt stop?
none of that is there. it is very easy to install a trigger on this action

Free isnt bad, that would be $160 diff then
smile.gif

I am just saying if your going to do it go all the way and dont skimp on the little things. The build is spec'ed out great.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poke</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Free isnt bad, that would be $160 diff then
smile.gif

I am just saying if your going to do it go all the way and dont skimp on the little things. The build is spec'ed out great.

</div></div>
thanks for the input keep it coming.

Benchmark prefers button rifled barrels because they say that they induce stress into the steel during the rifling process then stress relieve it producing a stronger rifling than cut, however they offer cut rifled barrels because some customers prefer them. They are able to do specific twist and gain twist if requested.

Re: benchmark rifle w /target pics

the first target is 3 shots at 100 yards with federal 168 gold medal match ammo.

the second target is 3 shots with 7.62 nato surplus, we use this ammo for test firing and for this rifle breakin. i dont think that will be the norm with mil surplus ammo, but so far this rifle looks promising. next we are going to test some hand loads.

Oh ya! .092" with factory loads is awesome. And its affordable too as far as the customs go. Got a picture of a 7wsm with a 5 shot group at 704yds that measures 3.41" with a Benchmark tube.

benchmark builds great rifles that is for sure, I haven't had a tube yet that doesn't shoot 1/2moa or better most better. hell they probably all shoot 1/4moa I just don't shoot that good.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Poke</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Wow all that and you went with a Rem FP, my price for Rem 700 factory and williams bottom metal is only like $90 bux dealer. You should look at trying to keep the cost down in another area, If your going to build a top notch rig, you might as well use a nice floorplate or DBM setup.

Williams $160
Fac Rem $70

"if a heavier trigger is what you like, having the side bolt release makes swapping triggers a matter of two pins and about 30 seconds" </div></div>

we just got in a badger ord m5 dbm and will put it on this rifle
when it is done i will update the pics.

To answer his question. You don't have to dink with the bolt release spring and mechanism that the factory Remingtons use where the bolt release is in front of the trigger. 2 pins hold the trigger housing in place and its a simple swap, you don't have to fish the spring and release into place. Just 2 pins and the trigger is in. That's what he meant.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: dmg264</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Not trying to be critical but I would turn the muzzle brake down to the same diameter of the barrel or either taper it down to fit the barrel. </div></div>

thanks for the input. we may do that