Berger 140 VLD question

JustEric

Private
Minuteman
Sep 28, 2011
I'm building a 6.5 Creedmoor and I'm looking for a good starting point for load development. I'll be shooting out to 1000+ in tactical competitions. My barrel is a SS Criterion, 26" 1:8 twist, varmint contour barrel. It seems that the Berger 140 VLD is a good starting point for a long range cartridge.

Is the Berger 140 VLD everyone likes to use the, "Berger Target Bullets 264 Caliber, 6.5mm (264 Diameter) 140 Grain VLD Hollow Point Boat Tail"? Where is the cheapest place to buy them?

Thanks,
Eric

I run 42.1 grains IMR 4350 behind the 140 VLDs and get roughly 2,750 FPS and excellent accuracy out of my 24" Bartlein 1:8. I seat them in the lands a couple thousandths. Always work up in your rifle.

There are a couple flavors of VLDs. The ones you mentioned I guess you could call "standard". There are several hybrid models and a hunting version (I believe only difference is a thinner jacket).

I use the "standard" with success. As far as cheapest place to buy them, lately it's been from whomever has them in stock.

Thanks for the quick response SA. I looked at the Berger site and found they have 3 140 VLD bullets. It appears the one that has the best BC is the Match Hybrid Target with a .618 BC. Surprisingly, the Match Long Range BT Target has the worse BC with .592. I think the Long Range BT gives you more latitude for setting the seating depth (but I could be wrong).

Is the 140 Match Hybrid Target bullet the best for long distance shooting? Is it considered a VLD bullet?

140 gr Match Hybrid Target 26414 .618
140 gr Match VLD Target 26401 .612
140 gr Match Long Range BT Target 26409 .592

Thanks!
Eric

I'm running the Berger 26401s

I believe (I'm no expert) the Hybrid Target gives you a little latitude with seating depth as well. In practical terms you'll never "see" the difference between a .618 and .592 bullet. Too many other variables at play. Main thing is to find a load that works in your rifle.

My rifle also likes (shoots well with) 139 grain Lapua Scenars (.578 BC)

I've shot just about every bullet made out of mine. The VLD is an EXCELLENT bullet. In all honesty, I can't even tell a difference between hunt 140 vld and hybrid until it gets past that 1,000 yard line and then the hybrid shines a little brighter. For Tac matches, you may even want to consider the 130 vld. At 1,000 yards I'm a full .2 mils flatter than my 140 hybrid loads.
What's your max distance??

Berger 140 VLD question

I'm looking for the same information concerning load data. I have a Lilja 26" 1:8, and I'll be loading the 140 VLDs with Hogdon 4350. If anyone has a similar profile and a load that works well, I'd appreciate your advice.

Last edited:
I've shot just about every bullet made out of mine. The VLD is an EXCELLENT bullet. In all honesty, I can't even tell a difference between hunt 140 vld and hybrid until it gets past that 1,000 yard line and then the hybrid shines a little brighter. For Tac matches, you may even want to consider the 130 vld. At 1,000 yards I'm a full .2 mils flatter than my 140 hybrid loads.
What's your max distance??

I think we shoot out to 1275 yards. Thanks! Eric