• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Hunting & Fishing BEST 308 round for hunting...

Re: BEST 308 round for hunting...

150 Ballistic Tip in the bolt gun and 168 Ballstic Tip in the GAP-10. Never had a problem with expansion being to early and drops whitetails like bricks. Plus the 168's shoot like match bullets.

I use Hornady TAPS. I like to keep the same rounds in the gun while at the house as well as when I go out to drop pigs. Very appropriate for both if youre like me and use the same gun for everything

It's always interesting to read these sort of debates. Growing up in the middle of nowhere I saw literally hundreds of deer die due to a .22LR wound to the neck.
smile.gif

The expanding bullet definitely helps if you're worried about shot placement. Personally, I don't mind walking another 100-200 yards to retrieve an animal due to a bullet that passed through without taking a shoulder with it. That just means there's more meat to take home.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Meat Hunter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Barnes Vor-Tx 150 gr TTSX. </div></div>

x2 for the Barnes Vor-Tx 150s. I switched to them last year and everything I shot at fell where it stood.

i am a huge fan of nosler partitions i have recovered about 6 bullets from game from antelope to elk and they are perfect mushrooms i have never shot an animal that didnt need a second round only one time i put two in an animal was an elk with a .270 when i was young and both bullets hit lungs and heart he died in 20 yards the rest all droped i have always and will always use nosler partitions