Best Factory Rifle?

Yea, yea, grab your popcorn and pull up a chair, its another one of "those" threads..
I was curios if we could do a real world challenge to see what the best off the shelf, bone stock, factory rifle is. I know the Rem 700 is a favorite, but I would like to see what others out there are doing. As mentioned, the rifle must be stock from the original manufacturer. Any ammo can be used, factory or handloads.. Groups are measured center-to-center.
PS- if this has been done before, link then delete..

Re: Best Factory Rifle?

best is the one that fits your needs, only you can answer that one. What you would consider the best, it could be the worst for others.............lazy, lazy21, and I are going to sit back on this one

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jamesz71</div><div class="ubbcode-body">do customs count
or are you talking about savage,rem.tikka,sako,winchester....ect </div></div>
Nope, bone stock, like if you were to walk into Cabela's and buy one off the shelf, then on your way home, stop at the range.. No custom anything allowed

This is the group I did today with my AR30 .308 @ 100 yards. .504" center-to-center.

IMG00007-20100122-2127.jpg

My rem 5R shot in the .3's with 46.2gr of RL15 and 155 Scenars. I would call that a very accurate factory rifle. All reports seem to point to the 5R's being shooters out of the box. So I guess my vote goes to the 700SS 5R.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lt. Arclight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">DPMS 308 w/24inch stainless barrel in 308. Sako TRG22 308
AIAWSM 338LM </div></div>

Good choices LT. but then again don't count out the AIAW in 308. It's definitely a shooter too.

Savage 10FCP-HS, 24" 1:10 twist. For an off the shelf $900 gun it really can't be beat. .5" groups are the norm and I don't have to do anything but put on a scope and GO!

More details are needed on the mission statement. Is this "Trip to the range" going to be a 100 yard range from a benchrest? Is it going to be a range where you are there 3 days moving with your whole kit engaging out to 1500yards? Does the gun require take-down ability? Does the rifle need to be equiped with NV where an adjustable comb is necessary? Are we engaging multiple moving targets or taking our time punching paper? More popcorn please and where is the cold beer?????

ALERT! Guys when I posted that last post my Anti-Virus quarantined a Trojan Horse! There is a possibility that it came from the link from page one of this thread! I'm not sure of this but thought I should let you all know. It was the link for Modern Sniper Rifles.

Now...back to our regular scheduled program.

I would normally say Savage here but today I'm going to be different and say "HOWA 1500 tactical". Fantastic rifle, greats shooter .47" with Priv 168 match!!! and blows both savage and remington out of the water for bang for your buck!!

Any factory rifle.........like as a gift? Accuracy international!!!! If I had to buy it REm R5........unless I go on strike against them and the Freedom Group and go FN( see my other post) or maybe I should lose my soul and shoot a rifle without one..........AR10?
frown.gif

Derek

AIAW are in stock, barret 98 bravo in stock, GAP, Surgeon also in stock. Fact is you can get anything from the internet today. Times have changed and there is no such thing as Factory. Lets just set the record straight ( what gets your blood going.) Today GAP crusader 308. Tomorrow?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: terryg</div><div class="ubbcode-body">AIAW are in stock, barret 98 bravo in stock, GAP, Surgeon also in stock. Fact is you can get anything from the internet today. Times have changed and there is no such thing as Factory. Lets just set the record straight ( what gets your blood going.) Today GAP crusader 308. Tomorrow? </div></div>

The last time I was in Cabela's I didnt see any new AI's, Barret's, Gaps or Surgeon's, and I did ask them they dont stock o them. They do however stock factory rifles such as Rem, Win, Browning, Sav, Kimber, Sako and others....you know the ones that the OP was asking about.

The most accurate rifle/best rifle I own is one I bought strictly for big game hunting never thinking I would get the accuracy that I have from it.

It is a 300 Weatherby Mark v Accumark, it shoots 180gr Nosler Accubonds over 3200fps into 3 shot groups well under .5moa. Plus it is a very flat shooting round. I spent a lot of money on other rifles and never got that kind of performance, funny how that works. Nice to have a magnum caliber rifle that shoots like a varmint rifle.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: In da weeds</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yea, yea, grab your popcorn and pull up a chair, its another one of "those" threads..
I was curios if we could do a real world challenge to see what the best off the shelf, bone stock, factory rifle is. I know the Rem 700 is a favorite, but I would like to see what others out there are doing. As mentioned, the rifle must be stock from the original manufacturer. Any ammo can be used, factory or handloads.. Groups are measured center-to-center.
PS- if this has been done before, link then delete.. </div></div>

Bone STOCK FACTORY RIFLE-nowhere was there a price limit.You get what you pay for. The 3 sticks I mentioned are out of the box. If you can't afford it-don't blame me.

Cabela's-you really shop for a precision rifle there?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Lt. Arclight</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

Cabela's-you really shop for a the best of anything there? </div></div>

Fixed it for you.

If you buy your rifles from cabela's or walmart you are not serious about shooting? Lets face it, even if you are on a budget you go to a web page like Gunbroker or gunsamerica and find the same thing used for less. Even Remington in my eyes is custom. They employ some of the best machinist and gun craftsmen in the world. They have a custom line that can compete with anything out there.

All I am trying to say is the internet is the gun shop where you buy guns today. And the guns ready to ship are in any configuration you could dream about. Gun shows and stores are a joke. The only time you get a good deal is when the owner has a used gun that they know nothing about.

Even my dad who is 65? buys from the internet. You go to the SHOT SHOW and get first hand look at everything out there. Go home and find it on the internet.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: specopsbrooklyn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">my vote is for AIAWP</div></div>

Agreed, it's pretty much a production custom rifle.

Savage Model 12 .223 
Burris 6.5-20x50 tactical mildot scope

This group was before i modified my rifle and was one of the first times shooting it from the factory, the ammo was hornady 55 gr vmax.

photo.jpg

This is actually a good question, but I believe it does need some limits. What is the best BOLT action rifle for under $600.00, under $1,200.00, under $1,800.00 and $2,400.00 and above. And "best" would have to include things like accuracy, reliability, etc.. With a bolt gun reliability should be almost 100%, if not-it's out, accuracy would be the most important factor, then maybe weight, parts etc.
For the $600.00 "class" I'd go with Savage-many to choose from.
The rest of the "classes" will cause an argument that will never stop, it seems a lot of people like what they have, regardless.
In the custom class, wouldn't it be great to have a Sniper's Hide-Builders Cup? Where all the custom rifle builders (those that would show up) could come-off a bench-demonstrate their work out to 1000 yards? Their choice of calibers, their choice of scopes etc, with some limits on rifle weight, say under 20 pounds-to really give each a chance to show off their 1/16MOA guns? This sort of thing would really go a long way in helping buyers spend their money. Not to mention the list of "we didn't want to come" builders would be very telling!!!! After a few years of the Sniper's Hide Builder's Cup, it would be far easier to determine, "what's the best rifle". I would even suggest catagories, such as $1,000.00 class, the $2,000.00 class etc.-you want to talk about an event I'd fly into to go see!

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Blackops_2</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: specopsbrooklyn</div><div class="ubbcode-body">my vote is for AIAWP</div></div>

Agreed, it's pretty much a production custom rifle.</div></div>

What is custom about an AI? There are two basic models and a limited number of barrel lengths and chamberings to choose from. It may be the ultimate factory rifle and it may have a custom price, but it is definitely a factory rifle.

In respone to:

"If you buy your rifles from cabela's or walmart you are not serious about shooting? Lets face it, even if you are on a budget you go to a web page like Gunbroker or gunsamerica and find the same thing used for less. Even Remington in my eyes is custom. They employ some of the best machinist and gun craftsmen in the world. They have a custom line that can compete with anything out there."""

Not serious? I've purchased many a fine weapon from Cabela's, they have one of the finest inventories you're going to find anywhere. I just went to their current listings and found weapons from: A-Square, Al Biesen, Anschutz, B.Wiseman, Blaser, BRNO, Brown's Precision, Christensen Arms, Cooper Arms, CZ, Dakota, Ed Brown, FN, Griffin and Howe, H-S Precision, H&K, Holland and Holland, J.P. Sauer, John Rigby, Kimber, McMillan, Nemesis, Nosler Custom, SAKO, Schuetzen, SIG, Steyer, and even a pre 64 mod 70. I don't know where you're buying your guns, but this is a list of some fairly good guns, in fact, some may even consider these to be "serious". I have also found their description to be very accurate, in fact, they are "safe sided" to say the least. I've always gotten a little better then described. You can find even the most serious, custom made, high dollar guns in the world being offered by Cabela's-check their gun Library.

H-S Precision. You can buy them off the shelf in at least 2 gun stores in the Los Angeles, CA area. They are guaranteed, in calibers of .30 (.308, .30-06., .300 Win. Mag., etc.) and under, to put 3 shots into 1/2" at 100 yards, and each rifle includes data on the load that was used for the test target's group. I have shot several of their rifles, and all of them were significantly more accurate than their test targets showed.

My vote would be an AI, and then a Sako trg 22. I have both and they outshoot a custom rifle I also have. They are very accurate and just as important they are very reliable under adverse conditions. The custom rifle I have failed where the AI and Sako worked with no issues whatsoever.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Carter Mayfield</div><div class="ubbcode-body">

What is custom about an AI? There are two basic models and a limited number of barrel lengths and chamberings to choose from. It may be the ultimate factory rifle and it may have a custom price, but it is definitely a factory rifle.</div></div>

Well considering it's accurate as hell, has a stock that a good bit of custom rifles are built on, a decent trigger, and a much heavier barrel contour than 90% if not all common factory rifles carry, yes it's kinda like a custom. I realize much of it's "qualities" are it's own production line that make it a factory rifle, but non the less it might as well be a custom to me. When i think custom rifles i think extreme accuracy that you wouldn't find on a regular basis with regular manufacturers and AI delivers. Yes it's a factory rifle but it fulfills all the qualities i would want in a custom rifle beautifully.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: tigerhawk</div><div class="ubbcode-body">H-S Precision. ... They are guaranteed, in calibers of .30 (.308, .30-06., .300 Win. Mag., etc.) and under, to put 3 shots into 1/2" at 100 yards, ... I have shot several of their rifles, and all of them were significantly more accurate than their test targets showed. </div></div>
tigerhawk, you're not a leftie in search of an H&S take down, are you:)?

I would vote on the Remington 5r, they were around $900 a few years ago just before the locks.

Tikka T3 as they outshoots mostly if not all factory rifle in their pricerange and also many customguns.
I do also belive that they have a longer barrellife with orignal barrels than many of the custombarrels have.

Håkan

<span style="color: #009900"><span style="font-size: 26pt"><span style="font-family: 'Comic Sans MS'"><span style="font-weight: bold">REMINGTON!</span></span></span></span>

A remington or savage is fine if your on a tight budget.
but neither can hold a candle to a trg or ai.
i have never heard of a trg that did not shoot under .5 moa , and many including mine shoot .25 moa or better right out of the box.