• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes Best power for small game 100 yards or less 10x or 6x

Biff2

Private
Minuteman
Mar 31, 2017
I am looking to ditch my Elite Vairable 6-24x for a fixed. Its a great scope, no issues I just want to go back to my roots. I feel getting use to 1 power and not having to fiddle around with things (because its there) simplfies things and makes you a better shooter, one less thing to think about. I maybe crazy but thats what I want to do.

Its going on a fancy PCP .22 air gun and maybe a .22 rimfire. Either way I doubt any shots will be over 100 yards most 60 or less. I only use 24x target shooting on smaller than dime targets and even then its just to see the group, I really don't need it.

So I want to get SWFA SS 10x42 or 6x version.

I am leaning to 6x but wanted to hear from the pros here. Maybe I am overlooking something, maybe one of you has both 6x and 10x fixed and prefers one over the other.

The specs say it weighs 21 OZ. my gun is like 6.5 pounds. Is that heavy for a scope?

Thanks!

Last edited:
At 100 yd and less the 6 would be perfect.I have there 1x4 and that is fine inside of 100 yds.The SWFA ss classic is a good scope for the money.

I am curious if a 6x fixed 12" SWFA SS will be close to the clarity of a 17" Elite 6-24x, they elite retails for more than 2x its price but variables cost more to make vs fixed. Might be a wash.

I shoot PCP's a lot, own many. IMO 6x for hunting isn't the way to go because of the small FOV or at least not my pick.

I have some suggestions that are variables I could point you too but will stay on topic for the present.

But 6x rather than 10 for hunting with a PCP. Actually I'd rather have a fixed 4x.

Guessing your budget is around $300 and you are looking for 10Y focus???

Steve123,

Many PCP guys are use to bench shooting and many are saying go 12x go 20x. I'm not sure if they have ever hunted. Yea tiny targets with the gun in a vise you can use 24x and those targest are not in a tree or on the ground. When I was a kid I used 4x. But I thought maybe I am loosing my marbles 10x is where many would be. I'm thinking 6x is a good comprimise for smaller game but yes 4x maybe better.

And yes 10m or closer. I have a scope that can go to 5m. But its not the same clase as my 800.00 elite. Which is 6-24x. I have a few guns and want to try fixed again.

Also I am hoping 300.00 in a fixed can give the same optics (or close) to a more expensive Elite. Its not really fare since the elite is 17.5" which is easier to make using lower power objectives vs 12" scopes.

I did not think about weight. I looked and my Elite is 17.5ox the SWFA is 21oz.

Then I see that Leupold FX-II 6x36mm - 10oz. Super lightweight which toting around might make a difference. But can it focus to 10yards?

Just mentioning here that for $300 getting glass equal to you 6-24 is going to be tough as well as finding close focusing.

Leupold has a 2.5x and 4x fixed scope for rimfire with 60Y fixed parallax.

I'm again guessing you have the SWFA 3-15 which has 5M focus??? I have a couple of them. Crosshair kinda small on 3x.

I've gotten away from duplex or old crosshair reticles, instead I like good holdover reticles for any type of rifle shooting I do.

Last year I got a SFP 1-6x24 that had fantastic glass and reticle, capped but finger adjustable turrets, good build quality and could be used up close at 1x but it was in the mid $500's.

I did not think about weight. I looked and my Elite is 17.5ox the SWFA is 21oz.

Then I see that Leupold FX-II 6x36mm - 10oz. Super lightweight which toting around might make a difference. But can it focus to 10yards?

The Leupold FX-3 Competition Hunter 6x42mm is a good scope with adjustable objective. Weight is 15 oz. But I would recommend against the target dot reticle for hunting. I think other reticles are available through the custom shop.

https://www.leupold.com/hunting-sho...copes/fx-3-competition-hunter-6x42mm-adj-obj/

The pickens are slim for sure in the fixed area. I am looking at the SWFA only because a few guys swear by them. Meaning they are gauging the buyers less than bigger named companies thus you get more for the money. Well I already have a nice 6-24x scope and a fixed should cost less, as there is less to them. Only way to find out is to look through them, the specs on paper don't give all the information. I would get the SWFA 6x as in terms of bang for the bunk and what owners say is all positive plus a scope review gave SS solid reports. I just not sure if I want to move UP in weight going from a Zoom to a simpler fixed.

I ran a leupold fixed 6 on an AR for a while. The fixed glass is easier to make better, and you can get a pretty nice fixed power piece of glass cheap.

I think 4X or 6X is perfect for inside 100. Good luck.

PB

Beware of inexpensive scopes on an air rifle. Especially the spring piston kind. They will tear up a cheap scope in no time. The 22s are OK. For the air rifle, get a good scope that is rated for air rifle use.

The thing is that the typical PCP is sending a pellet with a BC in the area of .03 at 800 - 900 fps. That's around 4-5 mils of drop at 100Y with a 30Y zero and also a pellet blows in the wind 3 times more than a 22 rimfire.

So knowing the exact distance and having hash marks in the reticle go a long way in hitting stuff with a air rifle when one starts shooting farther out and because of low energy shot placement is critical.

These are some of the reasons I went to FFP with good reticles even for the PCP's. Of course if one is going to shoot larger game like rabbits at closer distances for PBR trajectory, then the old style crosshair works fine.

I have plenty of 6x scopes and plenty of 10x, but what I choose for my fixed-power .22 hunter is a 6x. Mine is an El Paso Weaver K6 I paid $40 or $50 for. I have much more expensive scopes that would love to take its place, but they aren't going to. The light weight, fine reticle, clarity and eye-relief make it perfect for that job, for me.

Drifter, yes that scope is a maybe. It has focus on the Objective while the SWFA has it on the eyepiece/or side (optional)

Just a bit trickier to reach out to the objective while holding the gun.

I sort of like that basic no frills sight.
http://puu.sh/v6cf9/1af727dae0.jpg

Just be aware that the target dot reticle in the Comp Hunter scope is very thin, so it's quite faint in appearance, thus difficult to see in many terrains. It's why I got rid of mine (though I would consider another with a different reticle). I switched to the SWFA 6x, as its reticle works better for me.

Note that both of those scopes have tall turrets, which makes 'em bulkier than I like on a small 22. I'm now considering a compact variable (NF SHV 3-10x w/ IHR reticle) with short turrets and adjustable parallax, with the intention of leaving it on 5x power for hunting.

Either way I doubt any shots will be over 100 yards most 60 or less. I only use 24x target shooting on smaller than dime targets and even then its just to see the group, I really don't need it.

So I want to get SWFA SS 10x42 or 6x version.

I am leaning to 6x but wanted to hear from the pros here. Maybe I am overlooking something, maybe one of you has both 6x and 10x fixed and prefers one over the other.

I just want to comment on both your options as neither seems to have side focus or adjustable objective.

I recently set up a 10-22 and with a 'lower' mag scope which meant no side focus or adjustable objective. This particular 22 is very precise at 50yds, and I decided many of my important shots would be in that ballpark. I set the eyepiece to my eye, reticle was crystal clear, but when shooting for groups at 50yds, I would really struggle to make both the reticle and the target in clear focus. Come to find out the scope is collimated at 150yds. I sent it back in and had it collimated for 50yds. It now works perfect at 50yds and I'm still comfortable out to 150yds which is about as far as I'll shoot 22. Just something to keep in mind with smaller caliber setups.

You could always add a piece of tape to your scope to prevent you from changing magnification. You can use it at 6x or 10x as well. I'm getting into cameras and people sometimes recommend going with a fixed lens to force you to work on your technique. Why not do it with a piece of tape so if you NEED the range sometime you can make the once in a lifetime shot? Besides you get the quality of the scope you're comparing the others to for the price of the tape. Tape is a lot cheaper than a new scope.

Sent from my SM-G930T using Tapatalk

I picked up a CZ 452 rimfire for hunting small game and didn't really know what I'd put on top. I had a NIB Weaver Classic K 6x sitting around and figured the price was right so why not? Turns out even though I figured it might be too much magnification, too small FOV and the parallax would be too far out - its almost perfect, Works fine. Two years later and its' still on the rifle. There are some times when I do feel it may be too much magnification, so I can't see ever putting on a 10x for hunting. 50m parallax would be my choice if it were available.