• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

What is the ideal SHTF optic?

Cute guns, look brand new. Someones going to enjoy playing with them after you get clapped. Just try not to scrape them on the ground when you go down.

The SHTF is actually going to look like this:

IMG_6254.jpeg

If you are referring to McCree, they were not the first chassis.

I took the gentleman's use of the word "gamers" to be FPS and other vid gamers, so I may have taken that in the wrong context.
If by gamers, he was referring to competition shooters, I would have to agree with him that a lot of the trends are finding their way into deployable equipment.
That makes more sense. I was wondering in what universe SF guys were getting their ideas from Captain Price and not the other way around. :ROFLMAO:
Gamers as in competition guys. Got it.

Reactions: Terry Cross
I’ve posted opinions on the need for a legit MPVO battle optic. Most people would say a red dot or LPVO or both is best. I think a 1-10 LPVO might be ideal, but the optical limitations on a 10x erector limit performa CE and greatly increase prices. I think if the solution to a problem is $3500 then you haven’t really solved it.

Here’s my reasoning. I’m open to suggestion though, so you’re welcome to Change my mind.

I think when SHTF occurs, whether it is a local riot or something larger like power grid goes down, US Dollar devalues to worthlessness or a foreign invasion, the idea that you’ll have lots of run and gun 10-25 yard encounters is incorrect. This is what everyone trains for, but I think people are smarter than we give them credit for. The will to live is the most powerful human instinct. If you put millions of people in a life or death situation, they will not be running up your sidewalk in broad daylight to break down your door.

Let’s take the big cities, where gun ownership is oppressed by “the man”, gun knowledge and training is very low. Once SHTF, there will be an initial culling of the herd where the drug addicted and starving kill each other. After that wake up call, the remaining people, well over 50% I think, have hunkered down and pooled resources. They scavenged weapons and ammo from the dead. Hopefully these people will want to join the rest of society in the fight for survival, but if they don’t, they will likely be coming for our resources in the burbs and rural areas. Or they are foreign invaders intent on killing us. Either way, these combatants will be keeping a low profile. Even moving through suburbia, going house to house, you can expect it to be night time, they will hide behind cars, edge of buildings, privacy fences, any cover they can find. They will not be a mob walking down the middle of the street like portrayed in movies.

I read a report, sorry can’t remember where, that they examined foreign civil unrest situations of the past. Most of the shooting done inside cities and towns were at distances of 50 yards and greater. People don’t like to get shot! They aren’t very bold when they know everyone else has a gun. So most shooting was done from cover, pop up shoot, drop down. Targets are small. An exposed shoulder, a foot under a car, top of a head behind a wall etc. Hiding in empty houses and apartments and shooting out windows down the street. People would take pot shots from 200-300 yards away hoping to get lucky and then slink in and take the gun, food, car or whatever.

I think your handgun is there for the CQB stuff if needed, but what is really needed is the ability to return fire to attackers from 50-300 yds away, shooting from behind cover. They aren’t going to knock on your front door. When they shoot, your return fire target will be a few inches in size. Quick precision will be needed in a gun that is not 20# and a red dot will be insufficient at times. I think the ideal optic will be a 1-6x, 1-8x LPVO or a 2-10x, 2-12x MPVO. I personally would prefer the latter, but there are no great candidates right now with a reticle purpose built for this kind of shooting. Exceptions are maybe the chinese made Athlon and Swampfox 2-12x’s.

So again, I’ll ask, what is the ideal SHTF optic? Does this optic even exist yet? Or do you disagree completely with everything stated above and you believe red dot is the way to go or your 3-18x will do just fine?

P.S. - I don’t think I’m alone on this. Many well regarded rifle scope reviewers have mentioned a desire for improved choices in this area. C_DOES on YT, @Glassaholic here on the hide, Brass Facts as well as Barrel & Hatchet on YT. SupersetCA, now called Gunners Guild on Rumble has made similar statements. This purpose built MPVO, It’s not just to occupy the space in between all the other groups. In fact, I would argue, it is the most important category.

Who actually thinks about this THAT hard? I mean seriously.......go enjoy what is left of your life.

I can point to countless examples.

Surefire warcomp...a comp on a mil gun? Wonder where/why that came about?
Vortex and Kahles LPVO's on team guns...wonder how that came about?

Many more, but those are just the two most glaring I can think of before bed.
If you are referring to McCree, they were not the first chassis.

I took the gentleman's use of the word "gamers" to be FPS and other vid gamers, so I may have taken that in the wrong context.
If by gamers, he was referring to competition shooters, I would have to agree with him that a lot of the trends are finding their way into deployable equipment.
Yeah. I grew up near Princeton,LA. I got to watch Jerry, Jim, etc in the late 90s, early 2000s. Got a revolver Jim touched up, and a rifle he test fired for me. I got to watch all those super nifty but too fragile for combat concepts become mature military program items decade+ later into GWOT. Back when I started training with Craig Douglas and Chili and Kyle Lamb and others, maybe 1 LPVO would show up to class. Now? We got even the marines issuing them.

Reactions: DeathBeforeDismount
The cutting edge of alot of gear is in the gamer world. Its where new ideas get fleshed out, and those that work get adopted.

The game changer was not made for a SOCOM unit, even though the owner was a Ranger. Now regular army units are buying them as COTS to take overseas on deployments.

Its been well known that the SMU's bring in the best of everything from lock pickers to pistol shooters to long range shooters to drivers to teach them and make them more effective. Top competitive shooters give them an edge and teach them things they don't know. Many of them have talked about bringing in guys like Jerry, Rob and many others to teach them to shoot faster and refine their techniques. There are long range competitors on this site who do it as well. Its not a secret.

The military is slow as hell to adopt change. And when its not, it does something stupid to loose all the institutional knowledge that is going to have to be learned again in the future via blood (think Marine Scout Snipers).

Its easy to think the mil is best until you go to your first match as a seasoned sniper section leader and you get your shit pushed in by 300lb bob the plumber or accountant.

So, after of all your gamer and Pepsi discussions:

Talking LPVO (as the most versatile optic on an AR in my opinion), which of those Premium LPVOs reticles will still go strong, when the illumination goes down?

Talking LPVO (as the most versatile optic on an AR in my opinion), which of those Premium LPVOs reticles will still go strong, when the illumination goes down?
I had an Sig Tango 6T and an SMRS 2 Pro that did well.

The Elcan Specter doesn’t really fall into the LPVO definition I don’t believe, but the 1/4 on my Scar 16 does decent as well.

Generally SFPs…as I’m pretty sure this has probably been covered or at least alluded to in your other threads or any of the other 5,856 “what’s the best lpvo” threads

I submit that is more a function of reticle design and position.

I bought my Meopta R1 1-4x22 SFP with #4 reticle precisely because I wanted a reticle that was visible in low light that did not require a battery.

True, I cannot do windage holds in this reticle, but the rifle it is mounted on isn’t intended for such use.

My friend’s Leupold MK4 SFP 2.5-10x42 with illuminated TMR seems like a good choice as well and you can hold for windage on 10x.

-Stan

Last edited:
Reactions: Jayjay1
1-8 VCOG for LPVO
4-16 ATACR for SPR
7-35 ATACR for Long range rifle
T2 for carbine

Interesting!

I´m living in a rural area, where the shops only have limited elections of scope (and everything else).
That makes it very hard for me to get first-hand experiences and so I´m restricted on youtube (good stuff there) and forums (very different).
And although I´m cruising around this topic (a one-do-it-all-optic for my 18" AR "light") since almost two weeks (because 2k+ is a lot money for me, and I´m thorne between going LPVO or SPR w piggyback dot) I´ve never heard or read about the VCOG at LPVOs anywhere.
Kahles, Vortex, S&B, etc., but there was never VCOG in those comparisons.

And for the ATACR, which is undoubtetly a great scope, don´t you think that 4x on the low end is a bit high for an SPR?

I´m looking out for the VCOG now.
;)

Have a look at the VCOG's cousin, the Accupoint. Limited to a 1-4 or 1-6 LPVO but with tritium/fiber optic illumination.
Been happy with the 1-4 and 2.5-10 with the green illumination option.

When you talk about SHTF, I think of my brother who stepped on a "Bouncing Betty" that turned out to be a dud but still blew off half his kneecap. He got the Silver Star for running around after that to grab folks who were worse off than he was while he's shooting back at the same time dropping some folks who were shooting at him.

I listen first to the WarVets in my family many of whom came back w/holes in 'em/bodyparts missing, but came home after coming up against folks who were shooting back so when they start talking about rifles, I'll stop talking and listen, I don't have to wonder if they know what they're talking about, because they're here to talk about it and the folks they came up against ain't.

The first thing out of their mouths, is "I don't know", if they don't know something.

There is "luck", because by all rights my brother shouldn't be here. After he came back, he got a lot of religion.

As to the specifics of the weapons and sights there are folks on here that are very knowledgeable.

Last edited:
When you talk about SHTF, I think of my brother who stepped on a "Bouncing Betty" that turned out to be a dud but still blew off half his kneecap. He got the Silver Star for running around after that to grab folks who were worse off than he was while he's shooting back at the same time dropping some folks who were shooting at him.

I listen first to the WarVets in my family many of whom came back w/holes in 'em/bodyparts missing, but came home after coming up against folks who were shooting back so when they start talking about rifles, I'll stop talking and listen, I don't have to wonder if they know what they're talking about, because they're here to talk about it and the folks they came up against ain't.

The first thing out of their mouths, is "I don't know", if they don't know something.

As to the specifics of the weapons and sights there are folks on here that are very knowledgeable.
SHTF discussions usually means civilization has ended as in no utilities no civil authority whatsoever . You are on your own against xxx enemies from a plague to aliens . The 700.00 weapon with 2 k worth of likum stikum electronic crap will die and you are left with the MARK 1 eye ball , iron sights ,a man bun and your man purse filled with dead batteries ...watcha gonna do .

I like my aimpoint with the KAC battery compartment for a spare.
That's like 6yrs of red dot.
Have solid folding irons as well.

Handgun is #1
Then the 11.5" with the Aimpoint.
The trijicon lpvo with fiber would be good too.

Some yahoo with thermal/night vision will rob/kill us all in the dark anyhow

I like my aimpoint with the KAC battery compartment for a spare.
That's like 6yrs of red dot.
Have solid folding irons as well.

Handgun is #1
Then the 11.5" with the Aimpoint.
The trijicon lpvo with fiber would be good too.

Some yahoo with thermal/night vision will rob/kill us all in the dark anyhow
lack of food ,water ,health care and shelter will do most of us in before the zombies eat us

Reactions: kmckinnon
lack of food ,water ,health care and shelter will do most of us in before the zombies eat us
I used to assume those of us who could camp/backpack had the gear/ tools to survive in the wilderness, even if many others had the same idea, could do so.
But, the ability to move and see at night will push people to be bandits and they'll have the ability to take whatever they want in the wilderness at night.

Even Red Dawn fantasy land isn't safe anymore 😟

• Haha
Reactions: dms416
Remember GTA 3 or whatever iteration it was where you could pick up a prostitute, bang her, and then kill her and get your money back and whatever else she had?

It’s like that, but with S&B scopes and Garmin chronos. Just ass loads of FDE loot in an overwhelmingly green, temperate climate. Can’t wait.
I feel attacked by this one 😂

I had three guys in my Air Guard unit with Silver Stars. One of them had two Silver Stars. TACP guys.

I asked them to speak on their kit in the fight(s) where the Silver Star originated, and then built out my gear in a similar fashion.

Most had Aimpoints or LPVOs, all had green lasers for close combat. Everyone of them went home and put green lasers on their personal weapons.

Never been in a real SHTF scenario, like end of civilization or the breakup of Yugoslavia. SHTF and ground combat seem to be the same thing to me. I settled on an LPVO and green laser, and a shit ton of extra batteries in the grip or the stock for backup.

In the after fight, I think ammo and loaded mags will be readily available to pickup for a while, as the good guys and bad guys are using 22lr/5.56/308/762x39/9mm/12 gauge. But I'm harvesting/scrounging up batteries as well.

• Haha
Reactions: sloporsche
In my opinion, there is no single "ideal SHTF optic." Even just thinking from a durability standpoint, everything can fail at some point. Having back-ups and options makes sense.
any teenagers with good night vision who will stay awake all night while i sleep , i will relieve them from 10 am to 2 pm [ i am old and need my naps ]

• Haha
Reactions: Jscb1b
For the scenario the OP lays out, I second the motion that an ACOG with Piggyback RDS IS the ideal optic setup. It's proven, rugged, relatively light and offers redundancy.

A lightweight MPVO or fixed 10X with a combo'd RDS would be ideal, but a proper candidate does not (really) exist. There is usually at least one feature that takes it out of the running. Most often, it is the reticle, weight or lack of parallax adjustment.

The fact that experienced operators continue to run the gear they know makes perfect sense. I have to wonder what would they be running now if an NSN number for an ACOG 10x40 ECOS had been on the inventory for the past 20 years.