• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

PRS Talk Best prs matches?

K&M Kahles or GAP Grind. Reason: the people and the facility...and the BBQ!
PNTC is a good venue too. More varied terrain.
I want to venture out west next year though.

Reactions: tcole75
K&M Kahles or GAP Grind. Reason: the people and the facility...and the BBQ!
PNTC is a good venue too. More varied terrain.
I want to venture out west next year though.

I would drive the 17+ hours to K&M again for the brisket and potato salad alone.
It really is a great facility and things run exceptionally well there.

K&M puts on fantastic matches. I have also shot 2 matches put on by Jake Vibbert and I really enjoyed those. He puts on great matches and they run very well. I like the way he designs his stages and most of the targets are labeled so you know if your shooting the right target. The match he just put on in telluride Colorado was absolutely awesome and if he has another there next year I will travel all the way from New York again to shoot it.

Reactions: JC Steel
K&M puts on fantastic matches. I have also shot 2 matches put on by Jake Vibbert and I really enjoyed those. He puts on great matches and they run very well. I like the way he designs his stages and most of the targets are labeled so you know if your shooting the right target. The match he just put on in telluride Colorado was absolutely awesome and if he has another there next year I will travel all the way from New York again to shoot it.

I am definitely traveling west for the Telluride match if it happens next year. I lived out there for 10 years and miss it dearly.

Reactions: JC Steel
I like matches that don't have a lot of down time, move quickly, have easily identifiable targets, and a course of fire that doesn't need a flow chart to understand. I haven't shot a lot of matches back east, but K&M and CORE both do a great job of putting on a straight forward match with a few tough stages to separate the pack. Out west NorCal's TBRC and any match Vegas puts on will be fun because the stages are straight forward but with fun stuff like targets hidden behind spinners or a carnival high striker on a stage. For field style matches, Jake Vibbert does a great job and so do the guys from the Idaho precision rifle club. I haven't shot the Heat Stroke, but if that match is like the PRS Finale last year, then it's a quick match with easy to find targets (that are a little harder to hit - lol).

I’ve shot a bunch of matches over the last few years. Some of my favorite are matches that flow well, have no target failures creating unneeded downtime, and I’m a sucker for good food!!

Arizona tprc put on by Regina Milkovich and Matt Lavine, lone survivor put on by Dave Ferguson and Prentice Wink, Vegas put on the tyler Frehner, Jared Flanagan and the Sin city crew.
Those are my favorite, they mix it up well, make everything a challenge and fun.

South Dakota Steel Classic. Mike puts on a super smooth match with at least one set of back up targets for each stage. The match has a good mix of prone vs positional and field vs game type stages. Even if I can't/couldn't shoot it every year I'd still make the 10+ hour drive to RO it. The GAP Grind is a close second.

Lone Survivor (although I helped to this year).

Heatstroke has always been one of my favorites.

Battle of Breakneck in Nebraska.

Any match Geordie Richardson does have been great (out back precision and lone star armory matches)

Only core match I've ever been to was great.

One that's not a prs match anymore that I really enjoy is shoot for the green in Oklahoma. It's more of a field match but is cash payout only.

I really liked the Telluride (Jake ws MD) match this year - one of the BEST matches I have shot. The scenery was fantastic and the stages were uncommon. The Hawkins Precision match was very difficult - depends on if you like that or not end of day 1 the first place had around 65% of available hits. The Quiet Riot while it has some issues with Flow also had some really really cool shooting. Shooting out of one building into another at a mover for example, or off a huge coal platform that was wobbly...

Attachments

• IMG_3087.JPG
    IMG_3087.JPG
    1,013.9 KB · Views: 217
  • 20180630_Quiet_Riot_0569.jpg
    20180630_Quiet_Riot_0569.jpg
    330.2 KB · Views: 179
  • 20180630_Quiet_Riot_0427.jpg
    20180630_Quiet_Riot_0427.jpg
    152.9 KB · Views: 193
I shoot nearly exclusively in the southeast. Don't shoot a lot of matches every year, but have shot long range matches for the past 7-8 years. I have had great experiences with all but one or two matches. I can safely say that my favorites have been ran by Ryan Castle and Scott Satterlee. Maybe I'm biased because the very first match I shot was their Cookeville match back when those guys were with Precision Tactical Solutions. Two great guys for sure.
Steve

I really liked the Telluride (Jake ws MD) match this year - one of the BEST matches I have shot. The scenery was fantastic and the stages were uncommon. The Hawkins Precision match was very difficult - depends on if you like that or not end of day 1 the first place had around 65% of available hits. The Quiet Riot while it has some issues with Flow also had some really really cool shooting. Shooting out of one building into another at a mover for example, or off a huge coal platform that was wobbly...

OK, got to ask Mr Fred at Bison Tactical -- what is that platform in your middle picture? Did you guys shoot off that thing or at it or what? Want to hear the story...

OK, got to ask Mr Fred at Bison Tactical -- what is that platform in your middle picture? Did you guys shoot off that thing or at it or what? Want to hear the story...
Yes indeed!

It is a Coal mine conveyor belt contraption. It is only anchored in the center, so the end bounce pretty well with any movement. It also allowed us to do some pretty decent angle shooting. Some people who are afraid of heights (Stacy Eames - I am talking about you :) had some pretty big issues getting over the drop. It was a pretty unique stage to say the least !

My 2 favorite matches have been Meaford and the MPA match I shot in the spring. Meaford has a great format, lots of positional and targets on the smaller size, throw some wind in the mix and you got yourself a tough match.

The MPA match was at probably the second best facility I have shot, endless amount of room, distance to shoot as far as your would like. Phil did an awesome job with the course of fire. He kept switching it up between positional/modified prone/ long distance short/short distance. He had it all. Flow of the match was awesome and stages were realistic and targets were fair. The meatball matches are a joke, COFs should be more challenging and with a little effort from the match directors you can still cater to the new shooters and make it challenging for the top shooters.

K&M runs a great match with the way things flow. I can't argue with being done by 3 on Saturday and 2 on Sunday (maybe earlier) and running 300+ shooters through a COF. That's impressive

I like matches where most, if not all stages utilize natural terrain positions. My favorites so far are Battle of Breakneck, Q Creek ELR match (Scott Satterlee always puts on a great match), and the Telluride Match. I think the best match I ever shot was a few years ago outside Wheatland, WY called the Rifleman Roundup, if I recall Matt Parry was one of the Match Directors, along with some other Oklahoma boys who know how to run a match. Too bad it never returned.
The two Snipers Hide Cup matches in Colorado we're both good, but I believe they were too big to be great.

I think too many Matches are getting out of hand with the ridiculousness nature of having so many unrealistic stages. Examples are shooting with your rifle supported by a hangman's noose, sitting on a saddle mounted on a wobbly 55-gal drum, or a stage where you shoot target 1,5,7,3,2, and 6 in that order, then take the square root of the number of targets you hit, then multiply that by the next whole number of the targets you missed, and use the first digit of that number to indicate the next target you need to engage, etc. Not fun in my opinion, and most people don't like that kind of stupidity. I myself will be shooting less and less of those type of Matches.

Reactions: morganlamprecht
Absolute Zero Series at Frontline Defense and Pigg River! Ok, these are only club matches I've been to here in NC/VA area, but I know alot of the guys there now and always have a fantastic time. Want to make it to a bigger match someday tho..