Best rifle/caliber for 1000 yard+ target shooting?

Bunnyack

Private
Minuteman
Dec 12, 2010
Hey guys!

I am looking for a bolt-action rifle, capable of target shooting at 1000 yards and up, but I cannot possibly afford anything like a .338 Lapua Mag or similar.
So I was looking at a .300 Win. Mag. or a .300 WSM. (I know the calibers are similar in ballisics, wich would you recommend? I have heard the .300 Win. Mag. is not the most accurate out there...)

Now, I am not capable of going over $3500...(I still need $1000 for a Trijicon Accupoint) So I was thinking of maybe a Sako TRG 42 in .300 WM, maybe a Rem 700p that I would be modifying with an AI stock. Or maybe something else, in .300 WSM...? Or is there a better caliber that won´t cost me too much? I´ll be reloading anyway, for max. precision.

Thanks,
Bunny

Re: Best rifle/caliber for 1000 yard+ target shooting?

From what ive seen the 7WSM really handle 1k well, for alittle lighter round the 243AI aka the barrel burning or the 260 are good choices. as far as rifle, SAKO TRG is hard to beat, but a good remmy will serve you well if you want to build it to your liking

I use a 6.5 Creedmoor for 500-1000+yd shooting. The 6.5mm bullets have great BC's and are very affordable to shoot. I'd go this route if your only going to have one gun.

Dont buy a trijicon accupoint as the scope for your 1000+ yd rifle. Buy a Nightforce and dont look back. Look around for deals, I got mine for $1250

ok i'll be nice.

a 300 win mag starts losing ass at about 1100m you can hot load a little past but your pushing it.

338 especially if your goin to reload is your best bet. its my favorite round by far out right now to shoot distance.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ok i'll be nice.

a 300 win mag starts losing ass at about 1100m you can hot load a little past but your pushing it.

338 especially if your goin to reload is your best bet. its my favorite round by far out right now to shoot distance. </div></div>
What's your definition of "losing ass"?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ok i'll be nice.

338 especially if your goin to reload is your best bet. its my favorite round by far out right now to shoot distance. </div></div>

Lol talk Montana cause a 300wm with the right bullet and load can easily go to a mile

well ours with 190's barely push 1200 before they start getting sketchy but yeah at altitude i can see that. we shoot at sea level most of the time stateside.

turk we start pushing it much past 1200 at least at sea level with our 190grn we start seeing the bullet do unpredictable things. we don't handload our stuff we shoot what we are given. but the 338 is in a whole diferent ball park to the 300 win mag

i think that the remington 700 action is a great way to go. however, buying a 700p doesnt make any since if you are going to put a AI stock on it. The 700p is more expensive because it comes with an HS Precision stock but the 700 sps varmint which you can get for almost half the price has the same barreled action. just a put into a cheap injection molded stock.

Something you didn't mention is what you intend to shoot at that distance. If you are only shooting paper, or having to make contact with steel, you can use one of the 6.5 or 7mm cartridges and get decent accuracy out to 1400 to 1600 yards depending on cartridge, and atmosperic/environmental conditions. But, if you have to actually knock the target down, or have enough energy to put down an animal, then you might need more power.

Those factors will change my recommendation.

For paper or contact with steel, I would use something like a 260 Remington, 6.5x284, 7mm SAUM and so on. For actually putting foot pounds of energy onto a target, you will probably want a heavier bullet depending on how much energy you want when the bullet arrives on target.

Recently, the military has rethought their needs for power, and is moving toward the 300 win mag with 220 grain bullets.

For the 6.5x284, probably one of the best "bargain" rifles out there is the Savage F class rifle. For the 300 win mag, it is hard to beat a Sako TRG42, second would be the Remington Sendero with some minor work done to tune it up.

The recommendation for the Sako TRG22 in 260 is something I strongly recommend you consider. The Sako rifles have a reputation similar to Accuracy International in that they are both known for high quality out of the box without any additional work. Both are durable, reliable, accurate military rifles.

Here are a few that I like to shoot.

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/GcNn_BbtelY"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/GcNn_BbtelY" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

And a $600 factory gun

<object width="425" height="350"> <param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/NWd1YYouuNQ"></param> <param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param> <embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/NWd1YYouuNQ" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"> </embed></object>

Most of us on here shoot 308 or 260. These cartridges have good performance at long range, are easy to reload for, are easy on barrels and are FUN TO SHOOT! (nice recoil for 60 plus rounds a day).

Yes the magnums perform better, shoot flatter, kill deader, yadda yadda. But they burn barrels and kick a bit more than desirable. If you stay in it, you will eventually want one, but start with a 308 (or 260 Remington).

I agree with Big Joe

With 3500 I know what I would do.

A used 700P MLR in 338LM. Seems about once or twice a month they sell for $1200=$1250 on GB.
A used NF 3-15. There are ones here right now with rings for $1350.
A set of used badger rings and bases. A base will set you back 100.

If you play it right, and be patient, you can come in at 2600 for that, and still have 900 bucks for brass, bullets, primers and powder. 900 bucks will buy you a die set, an 8lb jug of Retumbo, at least 100 pieces of brass, a brick of primers and a 500 count box of 300 SMKs. BTW, you can get brass by the piece from Brunos. The 338 isn't that bad to load for, but it is KILLER to buy loaded rounds for. But even SW Ammo is making that more possible with 338LM at $78 a box.

Sure its no TRG, but I have a custom 700 in 338 built with a REMINGTON barrel and it is ACCURATE. Sure I had it set back, but nonetheless, the action and barrel are straight up Remington and it shoots. Plus, if you wanted to really go all out, buy one of the CEG one piece bolts from Midway. They are on sale right now for 186 bucks! That is CHEAP for a one piece 338 bolt for the 700.

<span style="color: #3333FF">
ETA: If all you are doing is shooting steel and paper at those distances, the 260, 6.5x47, 6.5x284 are also great choices as the guys above mentioned. </span>

Im calling bs here.

I shoot steel@1k on a regular basis withfgmm 190smk. "Surgeon scalpel 300winmag/partner shoots rem pss 300win mag" The bullets completely explode. THERE IS NOTHING LEFT. I don't think its gonna put the brakes on in the next couple 100 much less the next 400. We need real world facts on here

i have been hearing that the howa 1500 actions are getting to be favored over the remmy 700 for custom builds....get one done up in 7wsm and let'r rip.....can't go wrong with sako trg though

Step 1: Buy an AE MkII
Step 2: Rebarrel to .260/6.5, or leave in .308
Step 3: Fun!

You can easily come in under your budget for a standard AE, and still have an exceptionally high-quality rifle that doesn't compromise on anything at all.

Shot some .308 175gr SMK handloads through my AE this weekend past 1200 yards, and was surprised by how well it worked out. Next time may have to try pushing them out to 1300 yards...

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: procovert45</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ok i'll be nice.

Im calling bs here.

I shoot steel@1k on a regular basis withfgmm 190smk. "Surgeon scalpel 300winmag/partner shoots rem pss 300win mag" The bullets completely explode. THERE IS NOTHING LEFT. I don't think its gonna put the brakes on in the next couple 100 much less the next 400. We need real world facts on here </div></div>

first off bro that is from real world accounts and if you ask the 400 other snipers i work with you'll get the same answer. not saying that with special handloads or some elevation it can't be done but its not as predictable as say a 338 or some other rounds. we are seeing alot better accuracy out past 1k with the 220's. before you call BS you might want to drop someone a PM and see where they draw their conclusions from. i'm not some armchair commando or a benchrest shooter.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: procovert45</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ok i'll be nice.

Im calling bs here.

I shoot steel@1k on a regular basis withfgmm 190smk. "Surgeon scalpel 300winmag/partner shoots rem pss 300win mag" The bullets completely explode. THERE IS NOTHING LEFT. I don't think its gonna put the brakes on in the next couple 100 much less the next 400. We need real world facts on here </div></div>

first off bro that is from real world accounts and if you ask the 400 other snipers i work with you'll get the same answer. not saying that with special handloads or some elevation it can't be done but its not as predictable as say a 338 or some other rounds. we are seeing alot better accuracy out past 1k with the 220's. before you call BS you might want to drop someone a PM and see where they draw their conclusions from. i'm not some armchair commando or a benchrest shooter. </div></div>

Well my 300wm on modern warfare has no drop all the way across the map...and I have came to the conclusion that some of the maps have atleast a 1000m shots

But in all honesty for cheap and fun.

Stevens 200 short action $250
Mcgowen precision barrel 1/8tw $250
B&C stock $250
cdi DBM $200
2 10rd Cproducts magazines $100
atlas v8 bipod $250
monopod $60
USO ST10 1300

So for 2600 you could easily have a rifle with all accessories way under your target goal of 3500.

Thats 900 dollars for all your reloading stuff. Id say if I had 3500 thats how I would spend it. Find you some lapua brass, fed primers 8lbs of 4350 and some 115 dtacs

Sure getting a 338LM when you buy a 700p with a nightforce may look cheaper but you didnt add in a bipod, or a match grade barrel.

Joe Im not sure exactly what ammo you all are shooting but I regularly hit 1400 yards with a 300WSM..... So maybe there are some differences in load, bullet, barrel and twist but I think 1100m is short changing the 200wm a little bit.

Are you talking any high angle shooting or say roof top to roof top
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ouch!!</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: procovert45</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ok i'll be nice.

Im calling bs here.

first off bro that is from real world accounts and if you ask the 400 other snipers i work with you'll get the same answer. not saying that with special handloads or some elevation it can't be done but its not as predictable as say a 338 or some other rounds. we are seeing alot better accuracy out past 1k with the 220's. before you call BS you might want to drop someone a PM and see where they draw their conclusions from. i'm not some armchair commando or a benchrest shooter. </div></div>

Well my 300wm on modern warfare has no drop all the way across the map...and I have came to the conclusion that some of the maps have atleast a 1000m shots

But in all honesty for cheap and fun.

Stevens 200 short action $250
Mcgowen precision barrel 1/8tw $250
B&C stock $250
cdi DBM $200
2 10rd Cproducts magazines $100
atlas v8 bipod $250
monopod $60
USO ST10 1300

So for 2600 you could easily have a rifle with all accessories way under your target goal of 3500.

Thats 900 dollars for all your reloading stuff. Id say if I had 3500 thats how I would spend it. Find you some lapua brass, fed primers 8lbs of 4350 and some 115 dtacs

Sure getting a 338LM when you buy a 700p with a nightforce may look cheaper but you didnt add in a bipod, or a match grade barrel. </div></div>

+1 for a Savage

If you decide you can't live without a 338 then build a 338 Edge off a Savage action. The 338 Edge is a great round. And with 3500 you could easily put a savage action with a match grade barrel into a XLR stock. If it were my decision I would build a 308 or 260 off a Savage action. Sure there is faster rounds out there but either of these will get you to 1k and provide good barrel life. Bonus is you could swap barrels if desired.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: procovert45</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">ok i'll be nice.

Im calling bs here.

The question *was* best caliber for 1000 yard target shooting. To which I would answer neither the 300WM or the .338. I'd be looking for something cheap and flat. .260 Rem., .243, 6.5 x something, etc.

That being said, no, the 300WM will not fall out of the sky at 1100m. In fact, loaded correctly it will leave quite a mark well past 2000 yds. But the .338, especially with 300's will do everything better (for more cost, recoil, etc.) The 300WM, even with the high BC 208/210's is a marginal round for LR+ shooting because it doesn't cover the bases of altitude, temperature and wind with the margin that the .338 does. *BUT*, I would consider it a highly underrated round, and probably the most cost efficient ELR round to learn on.

Not everybody gets to custom load their ammo and are limited to what is issued. But Frank recently had some guys down at RO shooting Mk13's and the MV from Mk248 Mod1 was 2950-2975 at almost sea level. That is smokin' hot and is going to be plenty impressive to 1500+.

But If I had the choice of round, where someone else was paying, for ELR, it'd be the .338.

John

Sure, I would love a .338 Lapua but even reloading is more expensive than surplus .50 BMG last time I checked. Hell, only the brass sells for like $5 a piece. And I´d be shooting allot.

And that's why I said

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrob300</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The question *was* best caliber for 1000 yard target shooting. To which I would answer neither the 300WM or the .338. I'd be looking for something cheap and flat. .260 Rem., .243, 6.5 x something, etc.</div></div>

*That* was targeted at you.

The 300/338 remarks were in response to an ongoing, slightly off topic discussion about whose dad could beat up who.
grin.gif

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Mike</div><div class="ubbcode-body">243 with 115DTACS

6.5 mil to 1K

1.7 mil @ 1K @ 10mph FV </div></div>

to answer the question, im with mike on this one 243 is hard to beat, a blue collar regular guy can afford components and its shooter friendly low recoil helps you avoid becoming a flenching screw up tryin to drive the high priced 338

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SRT Supply</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Step 1: Buy an AE MkII

You can easily come in under your budget for a standard AE, and still have an exceptionally high-quality rifle that doesn't compromise on anything at all.

Shot some .308 175gr SMK handloads through my AE this weekend past 1200 yards, and was surprised by how well it worked out. Next time may have to try pushing them out to 1300 yards... </div></div>

Where are you shooting 1200yd at around here??? Fill me in on this
laugh.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Snipedogg</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SRT Supply</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Step 1: Buy an AE MkII

Shot some .308 175gr SMK handloads through my AE this weekend past 1200 yards, and was surprised by how well it worked out. Next time may have to try pushing them out to 1300 yards... </div></div>

Where are you shooting 1200yd at around here??? Fill me in on this
laugh.gif
</div></div>

Not only do I believe it, I witnessed it !!!
JH

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SRT Supply</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, it's a bit of a drive you see...

P1140543.JPG

There's a <span style="font-style: italic">tiny</span> black speck visible about halfway down the very left edge of the large hill on the right side of the picture - that's the truck 1220 yards away, parked next to the shooting position. </div></div>

Yes,

As hard as it may be to believe... they actually DO let people out of Florida to shoot from time to time. Given the proper papers, of course.
wink.gif

I'm guessing Utah.. or perhaps N.M.?

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrob300</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SRT Supply</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, it's a bit of a drive you see...

P1140543.JPG

There's a <span style="font-style: italic">tiny</span> black speck visible about halfway down the very left edge of the large hill on the right side of the picture - that's the truck 1220 yards away, parked next to the shooting position. </div></div>

Yes,

As hard as it may be to believe... they actually DO let people out of Florida to shoot from time to time. Given the proper papers, of course.
wink.gif

John</div></div>

It was rough getting across the border and into Alabama, but some quick driving and a few lucky breaks got me through Pensacola and out of Flori-duh. They haven't caught me yet...
wink.gif

Good eye - northwestern NM (from just above where that photo is taken you can look across the mesa and see Shiprock in the distance).

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DedicatedShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes...it is time for another never-ending argument over calibers and ballistics... hahaha </div></div>

No argument here. I'm not about to say the 308win is the best long range cartridge by any means. But I will say Jon and I did pretty darn good at @ 1220 yds with our 24" .308's
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stater61</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DedicatedShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes...it is time for another never-ending argument over calibers and ballistics... hahaha </div></div>

No argument here. I'm not about to say the 308win is the best long range cartridge by any means. But I will say Jon and I did pretty darn good at @ 1220 yds with our 24" .308's
smile.gif
</div></div>

You need to talk to MontanaMarine. He's shot fairly well at 1760 with his 20" .308 and has had decent luck (2 moa'ish) at 2000 yds (when it was warm. we shot a few weeks ago and they were not hitting worth a damn at 1900, but it was below freezing)

John

no i want to Efight someone common, lets go, lol my Epenis is HUGE.

i think the guys are right if you don't want to spend that much skip the magnums and get a 260 or 243.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrob300</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: stater61</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: DedicatedShooter</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Yes...it is time for another never-ending argument over calibers and ballistics... hahaha </div></div>

smile.gif
</div></div>

You need to talk to MontanaMarine. He's shot fairly well at 1760 with his 20" .308 and has had decent luck (2 moa'ish) at 2000 yds (when it was warm. we shot a few weeks ago and they were not hitting worth a damn at 1900, but it was below freezing)

John </div></div>

Damn, I'm impressed. I guess that was with the 208's and RL 17.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: BigJoe</div><div class="ubbcode-body">no i want to Efight someone common, lets go, lol my Epenis is HUGE.</div></div>
grin.gif

Yeah,

RL17 & 208's Moly'd

John

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SRT Supply</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrob300</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SRT Supply</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, it's a bit of a drive you see...

P1140543.JPG

Yes,

wink.gif

John</div></div>

It was rough getting across the border and into Alabama, but some quick driving and a few lucky breaks got me through Pensacola and out of Flori-duh. They haven't caught me yet...
wink.gif

Good eye - northwestern NM (from just above where that photo is taken you can look across the mesa and see Shiprock in the distance). </div></div>

HAHA I knew it was too good to be true. I was hoping you'd say oh we have some farm land about an hour from here come on out. I can keep dreaming
laugh.gif
I saw you guys down at Manatee not too long ago with all your AI's. You guys go out there a lot?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Snipedogg</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SRT Supply</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: jrob300</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SRT Supply</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, it's a bit of a drive you see...

P1140543.JPG

Yes,

wink.gif

John</div></div>

wink.gif

Good eye - northwestern NM (from just above where that photo is taken you can look across the mesa and see Shiprock in the distance). </div></div>

HAHA I knew it was too good to be true. I was hoping you'd say oh we have some farm land about an hour from here come on out. I can keep dreaming
laugh.gif
I saw you guys down at Manatee not too long ago with all your AI's. You guys go out there a lot? </div></div>

I haven't been out there in a while, but several others from SRT seem to go on a somewhat regular basis. I used to know of some farm property south of Tampa that enabled ~800 yards, but then Mosaic or one of the other phosphate companies came in and started mining the backstop..blah blah something about not wanting 168-grainers pinging off of the side of the dragline..blah blah. So no more range there, sadly. I've seen video footage of another 1000 yard range somewhere in central/north central Florida, but no clue where it's actually located, or if it's entirely private.

I figure the only way I'll shoot over 1000yd is if I go out west or get lucky and meet somebody with a bunch of farm land. Luckily Manatee isn't too much of a drive considering most guys have to travel a few hours just to find a range of that distance. I know my 300 Ultra Mag would be able to hit at over a mile as long as I have a scope with enough elevation adjustment but I don't know if I'll even get to shoot at that distance.