• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes best scope for less then $350?

Re: best scope for less then $350?

I just got the SS 12x42 mil/mil delivered on Friday 7/27. I'll use it for target on my LR 308. 16" bbl so I just need up to mid range so this will be just fine. I love the reticule which is a big reason I wanted it. It seems robust, the turrets go clickity click and have a serious feel to them. The rear parallax control turns kind of easily, I don't know if it's better for that to be more stiff, but I like that it's easier than that so it can be done quick. Glass looks great as I look thru on the bright sunny day. I looked thru at dusk into tree about 300 yards and it was still quite usable and I could still see reticule in the darker shadows of the tree. Reticule hairs thickness, at 0.04" is terrific. I stuck a dime sized orange sticker on a telephone pole that I know is 100 yards down the street. I could see the little circle no problem and the hairs did not saturate it. So far I am quite pleased and for what I payed, $313 shipped, no complaints. Can't wait to put it to work.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rumhound</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I'm putting together my first bolt gun, a Remington 700 SPS Tactical .308. I'm on a fairly tight budget and this thread has been perfect for helping me decide which optic to get. I'm looking at the Leapers UTG 30mm 4-16X56. Does anyone have any experience or heard anything negative about Leapers optics? Thanks. </div></div>

I've got a UTG 3-9x40 scope on one of my air rifles and its a great scope FOR AN AIR RIFLE. It holds up well to the magnum springer I've got it on and the glass is clear enough to satisfy me for the price I paid($70). But I don't shoot it past 75 yards I wouldn't want to shoot 200+ yards with that quality glass and I imagine it wouldn't last more than 50 rounds on a .308 and I set the zero and never touch it on my air rifle, with a center fire you're going to be turning those knobs alot.... I doubt it would track very well ... for very long ... I'd pass on the UTG for a center rife rifle.

If your really on that tight of a budget I'd look into the Bushnell fixed 10x($250) or the midway exclusive Weaver($400). both are good scopes for little money how ever neither have a parallax adjustment. Ive never used them but the Vortex crossfire scopes can be had for fairly cheap too($100-250ish). I have no idea how good the quality is at those prices but its a Vortex so I'd expect it to be passable.

A little background.

I've been buying and have been used to using $1500-$2800 FFP scopes for 5 years now. Before that I used most standard scopes like Leupold, Burris, Bushnell and many of the medium priced hunting and target scopes out there. Although most of those scopes worked okay there was always something about them I was displeased about so I thought to my self if I buy a decent SFP scope I know I'm going to dislike certain things about it anyway so why not try a cheap FFP scope ??? I figured worse case scenario I'd send it back if it was a total POS.

I ended up buying a BSA tactical 4-14 FFP mil/mil scope from Midway ($250) to put on a FX Royale 22 cal PCP air rifle. I didn't want to spend the big bucks on a scope for this rifle but I wanted the versatility that I'm familiar with on the expensive FFP scopes used on my tactical rifles. I considered the new SWFA SS 10x but since I use this rifle for hunting as well I decided against it in favor of the low power on a variable.

At this point I'm pleasantly pleased with the purchase! The glass is not bad and the same can be said about every other aspect of the scope. What could a guy expect for $250, right?

Shortly after sighting in at 30Y I set one of LV steels tiny men at approx 150Y and found it took 8 mils holdover to get center hits. Next I dialed 8 mils and was hitting center. I tried different power settings and closer distances switching back and forth between holdovers and dialing, the results were the same.

If this scope holds up I'll buy more in the future.