• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Beware of Knesek Guns and Thor

Re: Beware of Knesek Guns and Thor

I love how on this site when someone asks " how is this gear" or "i had a problem" the owner or developer is likely to show up to likely explain or fix. where else does that happen!

Update: To my surprise Knesek contacted me shortly after I gave the "early warning" and have been very proactive in figuring out what went wrong with my order(s).

As for the wrong items being ordered and shipped to the wrong location, 100% of that comes down to a particular person whom I don't think is around anymore (just assuming). When asked which items shipped and to what location and when, his reply was repeatedly something to the effect of "all your stuff shipped to you this week." Needless to say that's no way to track thousands of dollars worth of gear. Like I said, I haven't heard from him in a while.

I have however heard from Knesek's "command element" and they've been extremely proactive in ironing things out. Six months ago I couldn't get a hold of them but now they take up my inbox. I'd suggest to anyone making a large purchase to ensure you're talking to someone who's detail oriented and can speak intelligently about whatever system you're inquiring about (turns out Kneseks has some pretty knowledgable individuals). And don't hang up until you have a tracking number. Well, that goes with anything really.

As for the Thor XM408, the jury is still out. I'll update this thread and/or start a new one when I start collecting data (as well as terminal ballistic data). I have another friend who bought an XM408 through another party and another friend leaning towards an XM408 as well. Perhaps we'll be able to post our future experiences for anyone else looking at the 408's.

Good Day,

Thanks for giving us the chance to fix this problem and get you happy in regards to your purchase as well as doing business with us.
As mentioned, when I get your rifle I will personally go over the entire system from front to back and side to side. I will then get out on range and have your system ready for you to just open the case, load and pull the trigger. I will have ammunition information that I used, Will have the starting point for your data very well started.
Also please remember that you can set up your training course for whenever you get a chance. I have 2000m+ areas that we can go so that you will have data at whatever intervals you desire.

Thanks

Negative on Knesek.

Inventory was confirmed via phone by Knesek.
Credit card information taken electronically by Knesek.
Credit card information confirmed by Knesek via phone.
Transaction confirmation electronically received from Knesek.
I confirm order with my customer (agency) that order placed.
Knesek confirms verbally that order will go out this week.
My customer is happy with service and delivery schedule.
Two days after original order, Knesek calls and says boss decided to sell to someone else. Knesek trys to sell me something else.

Had I read the BBB report on Knesek I would not have ordered.

To everyone who thinks you need 1000 post before it is right to complain;
perhaps there should be another part of the forum for this type of thing.
sometimes exposing a companies failure on a well thought of forum where their principal audience can read it is enought o get them to speed up their resolution.

i have had such an experience with a different company and it took me two years to get something done.
I had another experience and after 6 months of arguing and getting promises that never happened I posted the grievance on such a forum and was contacted in 4 days with promise of my problem being completely resolved to my satisfaction. In my case I told the company owner to shove it, I had sold his product to someone who could actually use it (it was made for the wrong weapon system... even though i was very very detailed in my description.).

I have been in the military for the past 7 years and only recently got into shooting for recreation, so im a newbie to your forum and certain weapon systems, in many other ways I wouldnt fit into the mold of "newbie".

that sucks. I've been looking to buy the KAC SR-15 upper by them. I'm not feeling too hot on picking it up from them now. And I'm not having any luck finding anyone else who has it in stock, and if they do, it's for way more. do you guys have any other suggestions as to where i can pick up that upper ?

Though I do not want to contribute to the banter, I haven't had great experiences with Knesek guns either. A while back I had been considering a CheyTac .408. When I was talking to one of the reps on the phone, he informed me that CheyTac was out of business and that the Thor was a similar option. I didn't really want the Thor so I dropped the contact. But...a few weeks later I happened to start a conversation with someone at a pistol range. I mentioned that I had wanted a CheyTac but had been told they were out of business. As it turns out, the man at the range was the nephew of someone working at CheyTac and they had by no means gone out of business, they were simply filling a contract. Whether it was intentional or not, I felt that they had lied to me in order to sell their own product.

More recently, I was researching for scopes for an M40A5 that I will soon be ordering and saw some options on their website. Of course, the prices of some were not listed so I called them. When asked what they could help me with, I mentioned that I was looking into buying an M40A5 and that I saw some scopes for it on their website. I was rapidly transferred to a second fellow, whom I also told I was interested in buying a scope for an M40A5. He disregarded the scopes and proceeded to try to sell me on an "actual" M40A5 stock from the Marine Corps (it turns out they occasionally release used stocks to the public, with certificates of authenticity and whatnot-or so I was told). Of course, I was interested, but when I inquired about the price, the fellow on the phone at Knesek told me that not only did they not necessarily know the price, but also they did not know when the USMC would release more stocks. Why he would even mention a product that Knesek doesn't even stock or sell regularly, I have no idea, but I demonstrated to me that their sales branch was not very good.

Like I said, my intent is not to criticize or belittle the company, but these are my experiences and reasons why I refuse to do business with them.

Tribebreaker, thanks for the intel- very helpful.
I'm shocked no one mentioned the obvious, that a "newb" with few posts, might have been reading SH for months or years, before registering, making the issue of "postage"- moot. I think forums in general can be decent resources when viewed with a skeptical eye, and head on a swivel. When I'm ready to swipe the card, I'll have done a bunch of observing on multiple sites, researched the history of the businesses, and confirmed the written policies they adhere to. I only want to deal with top gunsmiths who are also ethical and smart business owners. Excellent money can be made by such people, as most others seem to possess only half the recipe!

Good News (maybe) As a business owner I was never too upset with a customer complaint because I viewed it as an opportunity to correct the problem, make the customer happy and use the incident causing the complaint as an in house training exercise. Your customer views you as just another supplier and...all things being equal...he puts you in the same category as your competitors. However if you go above and beyond to solve a problem you differentiate yourself and earn that customers appreciation. He knows everyone makes mistakes. He has made mistakes. When you do a back flip to solve his problem he takes notice. The thing that was upsetting was if we made the same mistake or series of mistakes more than once. Bad news!!!!!

I will be interested to follow this thread in the next few weeks to see how Knesek responds. Good News or Bad News?

My experience with Knesek went very good. I had my FFL buy a rifle from them on Gunbroker in late August. I called them to see how they wanted to conduct the money transaction. I mailed them the FFL info and sent them the Postal MO. I sent the info and MO on a tuesday and my rifle showed up at my FFL the next Thursday. The rifle was just as it looked in the pictures. I thought their service was above par throughout the entire transaction.

Just my $.02

Nothing but good dealings with Knesek. Multiple purchases, and always got what I paid for. Cheytac? I tried to buy one direct from Cheytac, and for months they would not answer there phones or email. Under further investigation I found out that they are prone to not paying there vendors, and actually do not even make a product! They have never had an original idea,and have always stole other peoples concepts, and tried to sell them as there own. I would feel good about buying things from Knesek, but by all means , avoid Cheytac. You can do a search on here and see all of the bad posts for yourself.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SABuzzard</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For what it's worth I've had a positive experience with Knesek. I was in a rush for a laser illuminator. Called them on a Thursday looking for a Saturday delivery. The guy on the phone was very helpful... confirmed the product was in stock, set up second day delivery, called me back to confirm some details of the order. It arrived as promised. Easy transaction. </div></div>

I have ordered the same based on your previous post and link to the dealer. Waiting on the mail as we speak. Larry@Knesek confirmed that it was sent by e-mail on the 16th, I have not received a tracking number. Looking forward to its arrival within two weeks. Will be watching to see how this thread evolves.

I hope that my low post count here would not be a deterrent in showing my pleasure or concern with a dealer. I have had great service from several Hide members and look forward to many more good deals. I have posted more at other sites (1400+post@CGN) and would hope some members from both sites would give me the time to voice my concerns etc. Communication can only strengthen a community.

Edit: Just had to add that mine showed up today nicely packaged. Confirmed by e-mail with Larry and I am GTG! Thanks KGI
smile.gif

I purchased an Armalite AR 30 from Knesek and my deal went very smooth. I made the deal on the phone with Larry, gave a deposit, and when I sent the final payment my rifle was at my FFL 2 days later , the only delay was because of a holiday delay by the shipper. I've delt with Larry on the phone a few times and found him to be a genuine nice guy and as far as I'm concerned, an honest guy. From my experience with dealing for guns and parts on the phone and dealing with shipping timeframes, anything can happen, however I give Knesek a lot of credit on how they addressed this issue on this post. I plan on dealing with them again, my confidence in their professionalism isn't shaken.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: ranger1183</div><div class="ubbcode-body">this type of second post for a newbie is why I support the idea of Low Light charging a monthly fee to use this site. Damn, some of these posts are amazingly stupid and poorly thought out. Lord knows I've had my share of stupid postings ... </div></div>

ranger1183, do you own or work for a gun industry business or website, or just have a drinking buddy that does? You're in Columbia Falls, MT- the heart of the Montana gun industry, with a pretty small population. The OP's post, on first read, is clearly NOT a sucker punch. The man substantiates his position, and there appear to be no less than six posts in his thread reflecting negative experiences. Your attempt to discredit the OP suggests you're biased. In regard to a fee- even FaceBook, with 800 million members, doesn't charge one, because it would be their demise. Users who heckle "newbs" are bad for business- every consumer is a finite resource, so SH, and the gun industry, survive on "newbs" spending money. I'm a newb, and the only thing I dislike about SH forums is the appearance that a few "elders" with lots of posts, don't want open and honest communication to get in the way of their gang bang.

For the record, I am relatively new to this forum. So if that makes me lack credibility, so be it. I have never bought anything from Knesek. However, when I was in the process of purchasing a KAC SR25EM (about 2 years ago) I originally planned on ordering from them. I wanted the proper suppressor. I spoke on the phone with a guy at Knesek and he argued at length that the NT4 was the proper can. I said it was the Mk11Mod0 and would have ordered my gun from them had he listened. I emailed them about it. They continued to argue that I didn't know what I was talking about. Finally I emailed Timothy Rupert at KAC and received the following reply.

"You are absolutely correct, it is the MK11 suppressor that goes on the New EM SR25 RIFLE. I have attached the slick sheet for the EM rifle and note at the lower portion on the slick sheet what suppressor it takes. The EM carbine will have its very own suppressor that is in production as we speak and will be part number 25847."

I forwarded the email to Knesek and never heard a word from them. It didn't matter. I bought from someone else about 2 days prior to hearing from Rupert.

This is my only interaction with them. It wasn't good. So I won't be buying from them either.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: icedragonmx</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: SABuzzard</div><div class="ubbcode-body">For what it's worth I've had a positive experience with Knesek. I was in a rush for a laser illuminator. Called them on a Thursday looking for a Saturday delivery. The guy on the phone was very helpful... confirmed the product was in stock, set up second day delivery, called me back to confirm some details of the order. It arrived as promised. Easy transaction. </div></div>

I have ordered the same based on your previous post and link to the dealer. Waiting on the mail as we speak. Larry@Knesek confirmed that it was sent by e-mail on the 16th, I have not received a tracking number. Looking forward to its arrival within two weeks. Will be watching to see how this thread evolves.

I hope that my low post count here would not be a deterrent in showing my pleasure or concern with a dealer. I have had great service from several Hide members and look forward to many more good deals. I have posted more at other sites (1400+post@CGN) and would hope some members from both sites would give me the time to voice my concerns etc. Communication can only strengthen a community.

Edit: Just had to add that mine showed up today nicely packaged. Confirmed by e-mail with Larry and I am GTG! Thanks KGI
smile.gif
</div></div>

Glad it worked out. You'll enjoy the Luna ELIR-3

I tried to buy my DTA setup from them. I drove 6 hours to van buren Ark with cash money to pick it up. I had called and they siad they had exactly what I wanted and could do it that weekend. I drove up there and the directions of the address sent me into a housing area. I called them back and they said someother directions and that Larry was gone and wasnt coming back . I told them Ive driven 6 hours to buy this weapon and now you have me going to another address. well that turned out to be a field. after I got there then no one would answer the calls. I called Ethan at DTA and he told me up front theres is something shaddy with this company and I bought my DTA from Bobby from Freedom gun works. Id never do business with either company. And I guess god didnt want the conflict because someone trying to sneek off with my money I will hunt down till the day I die.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: srt</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Clearly though, if you keep hearing "bad news" about a company from a wide array of folks, well... where there is smoke, there's usually fire. </div></div>
This, I had a similar experience earlier as a "newbie" on this site. I saw a thread about a particular gunsmith I was having problems with and posted my experience with him here. It turned out that my post brought out several others to post as well and the smith went under. As someone mentioned earlier the net can be a good tool if used as a last resort and if done correctly. In this case I see the company at least trying to help the OP out.

I too, had a go round w/knesek. Like to never got my gun, an xm-408 at that. Almost turned me against.the 408. I wisorderedh I had seen all these complaints before I ordered that gun what a mess

Their staff gave me the run around for a week before shipping my $200.00 order. They could not ship because their employee did not know their own policies on credit card charges. I had NEVER in my life been able to check out with a CC then have to be sent a form via email, retype your info, print it out and fax it in to them for a Sure Fire muzzle brake. THEN, they delay my shipping to verify my information.... on a $200.00 order. I can understand a 2,000 or 10,00 dollar order but for one muzzle brake? Was all of that necessary?

When I called in to check on the status of the order I was treated like it was my fault and sent around to a few different people finally the only replies I received were in the form of emails, in which I was not helped. And when you request to speak to management about the issue they do not return calls or emails.

Poor customer service, I will not be giving them my money ever again. I would rather wait an extra week with someone else then jump thru the hoops and hear the excuses.

Unfortunately, I've had two bad experiences with Knesek Guns. The first was about five years ago when I was buying new .408 Cheytac brass and reloading dies for my M96 Windrunner. I stumbled across Knesek Guns on the internet. Their website inventory status for both items indicated they were "In-Stock". I called to confirm and subsequently advised the items were in fact "In-Stock"! I placed my order and provided my CC#. Based on my telephone conversation and order, the "Cheytac" brass and reloading dies should arrive at my home within seven to ten business days. The $800.00+ funds were deducted from my account that afternoon! Long story short, three days shy of six months, with countless unanswered/unreturned telephone calls and emails, and an endless barrage of excuses when someone would answer the phone, I finally received .408 brass & reloading dies. However, the brass and dies were not actual "Cheytac" merchandise, they were aftermarket substitutes from Midway USA, yet Knesek Guns still charged the same price as the factory Cheytac merchandise! (The brass & dies were still in the shipping box from Midway USA and had been placed inside a second exterior box for shipping from Knesek Guns to my home!!! Knesek didn't even take the time to remove the shipping label from Midway USA to Knesek Guns!!!)

Ironically, I could have ordered the aftermarket brass & dies from Midway USA, myself, six months prior and avoided all of the incompetence I endured by purchasing through Knesek Guns!!!

My second ordeal with Knesek Guns makes the first one pale in comparison! Being the level-headed, patient, ever-forgiving, retired police officer I am, I decided to give Knesek Guns another chance about three years later. I wanted to believe the first fiasco was just an unfortunate set of mistakes and it was most likely a one time incident. HUGE MISTAKE!!! I was in the market for a particular semi-auto rifle and once again, Knesek Guns showed they had the rifle "In-Stock"! I telephoned Knesek and confirmed the "In-Stock" status. I attempted to place my order immediately, but my sales representative advised me Knesek Guns no longer accepted credit cards as payment for on-line/ telephone orders! (More on that in a minute.). Knesek Guns only accepts cashiers checks or money orders for payment "In-Full". I provided all of my logistical information and tentatively placed my order. I obtained a cashiers check for $4000.00+ and overnighted it via FedX. I contacted Knesek Guns to provide the tracking number, at which time I was told the rifle I had just paid for WAS NOT actually "In-Stock" , but it would be received within the next three days! I was assured the cashiers check would not be deposited until Knesek received the rifle. (That turned out to be a completely false statement.)
Subsequently, after almost five months of delays and excuses, I decided to cancel my order. However, Larry Knesek Jr. decided if I cancelled my order a 45% "restocking fee" would be deducted from my payment in full for a rifle that Knesek Guns didn't have in-stock, and could not give me even the slightest idea of when my original order would be completed! I received a "form letter" from Mr. Knesek directing me to the "Order Policy/Refund Policy" page on the Knesek Guns website! To include the section regarding "Force Mejure"! The "form letter" advised me that I could continue to wait for the undetermined completion time of my order, or I was welcome to purchase other merchandise. Inevitably, I chose to continue with the order because who wants to throw away over $2000.00+ dollars because of boarder line criminal enterprise!?
Which brings me back to the "NO CREDIT CARD PAYMENT POLICY"! I have come to the realization that the "NO CREDIT CARD PAYMENT POLICY" is to insulate Knesek Guns from any Credit Card Fraud Complaints that might be filed due to their highly suspect business practices! By obtaining payment in-full via cashiers check or money order, Knesek Guns has essentially eliminated any recourse a customer might have at obtaining a refund for merchandise that could potentially never be delivered, or delivered in a timely manner!!! Basically, once Larry Knesek gets your money, you will NEVER get it back!!!

Moving on! After 19 months, without a single Knesek Guns initiated update vis telephone, email, or otherwise, I was at my ropes end and the end of my patience. Throughout the entire ordeal, the numerous Knesek Guns employees that mistakenly took my telephone calls all ended with the same excuse. According to them, it was the rifle manufacturers fault due to being unable to produce the firearms in a more expeditious manner.
So, while I was at the S.H.O.T. Show I spoke to the manufacturers regional sales manager and gave him the abridged version of my attempt to purchase one of his employer's firearms. Needless to say, he was appalled at the length of time I had been waiting and assured me he would rectify the situation immediately. It did offer some critical information during our conversation. He stated Knesek Guns had repeatedly engaged in these type of business practices and it was his understanding that Knesek Guns was on the verge of having their franchise revoked.
The regional sales manager has been instrumental in getting a small degree of action on Knesek Guns behalf, but it is quickly approaching the two year mark and I still DO NOT have my rifle!!!

So for anyone out there that chooses to give Knesek Guns the benefit of the doubt, I recommend you do so with caution! And, if anyone questions my integrity due to my being a "Newbie", I'll gladly get together with you and compare notes. Bring along your excuse book, because you're gonna need it!!!

About 1.5 yr ago, I also had a bad experience w Knesek gun. I ordered a steyr Aug they show it is in stock. I was lucky I ordered and pay w my cc. After 6 mo of waiting and 7 phone call later. I call my credit card and disputed the transaction and got my money back. 1 yr after original order day. I got a surprise call from Knesek gun and told me the steyr Aug I ordered is available. Asking if i am still interested in buying it. My answer is no as I have got it from another source who actually has it in stock and shipped the next day I purchase.

Here is the deal,

There are clearly "suck punch" posts and then there are posts from people with less than 10 posts that are legitimate. You can sort of tell by the amount of detail as well as what is being said. Hit pieces are not hard to miss.

In this case, there are clearly some legitimate issues, especially since the dealer came on and acknowledged a few balls dropped. As well, they might have rolled under the desk out of sight.

When people feel they have gone as far as can, or simply feel frustrated with a situation with a company, a forum can be an extremely powerful tool. Especially when the forum and company are moving in the same space. Its a fast effective way for someone to force a company to get out of the seat, look under the desk and pick up the ball. Nothing wrong with this in my opinion, I have used the pulpit of tho site on more one occasion to move things along much faster, and suspect that is the intention of the OP. It was after all a whole lot of money.

Once this ball is put into play, there are two things have to happen, the company can respond and work to remedy the situation, and the consumer has to respond, by allowing them to do their job and fix the situation. Once it's fix they should also end the post by saying it resolved and not leaving it hanging.

Too many times we read about an issue, clearly an issue and the posters first course of action is come on and run the company down without ever giving them a courtesy call. It should be each person's responsibly to seek a remedy from the company first and complain second. If you never contacted them about it, in my opinion you have no legs to stand on and I consider this a sucker punch. However once communication has begun and the situation still continues to haunt you, sure, use the power of social media to get it fixed as fast as possible.

In regards to the post count, and the validity of the poster based on the number of posts. Well unfortunately numbers are not in the new users favor. People will get mad, drunk, or a combination of both and immediately run to the internet to attack the target of their anger. This happens a lot. As well, you find a lot of new users who simply feel they need to make some sort of outlandish statements to get heard, or will repeat things that will get posted quite often, and usually have been Debunked in Detail. This leads to the reception a lot of new users get. I personally have no issue repeating the answer for a new user, but if you dismiss the answer with your second post, well then, I am not shy about telling you hit the road. People tend to make their own luck on here, and how they are treated is usually a direct response to how they approached the site. Lots of guys doing this for a living, as well there is even more bad information out there, so many of the people on here simply don't suffer fools very well.

In this sport, ownership doesn't equal competence, and just because you've been shooting your whole life from the time you were 5 on Grandma's farm, doesn't mean you the first clue when it comes shooting a rifle, handgun, carbine, what have you. Hitting your target isn't hard, knowing why you hit it can be more more telling in terms of you level of achievement. Look at it this way, everyone in boot camp is taught how to fire a weapon and hit a target. They take the best of those who can hit the target the most and send them sniper school. Of those sent roughly 50% fail out every time. We call this a clue... sure you can argue they all don't fail the shooting, but there is a lot more to life, to the precision rifle than simply pressing the trigger, and if you press it enough you'll surely hit something. Still doesn't count if you can't tell me "why".

So, while this topic may seem like a bad idea to some, I think it provides a service in 7 out of 10 cases, so regardless of the post count, I feel it is helping people. It was a case of a straight up attack with little merit, I have no trouble removing it. But clearly this is not the case here.

33myeqd.gif