• Watch Out for Scammers!

We've now added a color code for all accounts. Orange accounts are new members, Blue are full members, and Green are Supporters. If you get a message about a sale from an orange account, make sure you pay attention before sending any money!

• Site Updates Coming Soon - We're Updating The Homepage!

We've got some exciting changes coming, check the thread below for more info!

VIEW THREAD

Bipod mounted on Spigot vs under the handguard

pineoak

Assistant Minion
Minuteman
Feb 15, 2017
Cary, North Carolina
I think that the spigot pushes the bipod balance point distally from the shooter creating a longer isosceles triangle, possibly more stable?

Been told it makes the gun really heavy too, but I figure the bag takes the weight.

How big a difference will a shooter notice at 1000?

or is it a preference/feel thing?

I added a spigot to my KRG for the sole purpose of making enough room under the barrel to run a bag. Without it, the bipod was too close to the mag to fit a bag.

Has it made the rifle more stable? Yes. It extended the point from rear bag to bipod feet by about inches, which is quite the increase.
I have noticed that it takes more squeezing of the rear bag for a similar POA adjustment vs without the spigot, but there is a finer adjustment if that makes sense.

Reactions: Ming45
It's not just moving the bipod further forward, it also positions the apex of the bipod closer to the bore. Both of those things make the whole arrangement more stable.

Reactions: viking78
I have been debating adding the spigot. To those that have it do you consider it worth it for the sole purpose of moving the bipod forward?

I have been debating adding the spigot. To those that have it do you consider it worth it for the sole purpose of moving the bipod forward?
On my MPA, the spigot was only like a $30 add. Moving the bipod forward and moving the apex of the bipod higher definitely made it more stable - well worth the $30. It also meant I didn't have to have a picatinny rail on the foreend, which can get in the way sometimes when trying to slide the forend into position on a barricade or something.

To be honest, I'd probably have paid closer to $100 for it. It made a real difference for me.

I have long run a spigot (for VersaPod, FWIW) I installed myself exclusively to get the bipod pivot point as close to the bore as possible. I simply love it, won't do anything else if I can avoid it.

Not 1000% happy with my current setup. XLR Element doesn't have a hole in the front, so right now I have a Vertabrae rail+spigot for the T3 which happens to fit enough to bolt it on (front through-hole, rear to a mounting slot). It is rigid, the gun runs well, BUT, the spigot is not as high as it could go, and there's that bit of rail below so the bottom front end of the stock is occupied with snaggy stuff. So far fine, but I can imagine it getting in the way.

So aside from the (inexplicable to me) love for the Harris, the issue with spigot mounting is support. Not many US guns (IME) can be adapted to it without significant work. I may, someday, have the front of my chassis drilled and tapped and put in a legit, dedicated spigot mount. But that's machine shop time.

I have the KRG XRAY. If the spigot was only $30 it would already be on. At $122 I still question it.

Reactions: yendor
To the OP

There is some science behind having the bipod as far forward as possible. Mostly it’s about stability and deflection. Hence we now have a retractable pole that mounts under your rifle and extends your bipod basically to the end of the barrel. As far as the spigot goes I have AI mark 3 that uses the atlas spigot. The only disadvantage I have noticed is making adjustments to the bipod sometimes I am reaching to adjust the legs and have break my shooting position. So during practice or a match I make sure it’s setup correctly then I get into the match chaos of changing positions etc. I think the spigot is a system specific kinda thing. What I have noticed lately is freefloated handguards are getting longer giving the shooter more adjustment of where their bipod is mounted. This is a much better solution so shooters can set up their rifles to their strengths.

Something I noticed a few weeks ago when there were a series of rifles all lined up next to one another: my xray with a spigot just equaled the distance to the trigger as a ruger precision with a badger harris adapter, if it were a different sort of adapter the ruger factory hand guard could mount the bipod out further than my xray with a spigot.

Reactions: Hank Fabich jr.
I've been thinking of the MPA spigot, but I'll need to update my RRS clamp to the one that allows for both pic rail and swiss arca. Anyone know of a MPA spigot that is just swiss arca?

I've been thinking of the MPA spigot, but I'll need to update my RRS clamp to the one that allows for both pic rail and swiss arca. Anyone know of a MPA spigot that is just swiss arca?
I seen a post where a guy bolted this to his spigot for his magneto. Could possibly work for bipod as well.
Haoge 120mm QR Quick Release Plate Dual Dovetail and D-Ring Screw Fits Arca-Swiss Standard for Tripod Ball Head https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00Z40X37I/ref=cm_sw_r_cp_apa_WtuVAbR306D04

Reactions: oakfig and tbone40x
I'd buy a spigot for my XRay again in a heartbeat. For all the above reasons including looks, but most of all for better placement and rigidity, if you don't have one on an XRay you're just bolting up your bipod to your polymer skin vs chassis backbone.

Ever try a dovetail? The bipod can slide from the mag well to as many inches as you wish in front of the stock

Reactions: bjay
I'd buy a spigot for my XRay again in a heartbeat. For all the above reasons including looks, but most of all for better placement and rigidity, if you don't have one on an XRay you're just bolting up your bipod to your polymer skin vs chassis backbone.
You know, the flex is not as noticeable in actual use as I had anticipated when putting it together (thought it would be awful). However I do want to firm it up more, which means mounting to the chassis backbone. I also want the sling on the backbone, not on the skin.

My temporary measure is going to be this thing: http://www.triadtactical.com/Accu-Shot-Atlas-Picatinny-Rail-Adapors.html

I put one of those in my XLR element chassis and thus far I like it a lot. Will try to post pics tomorrow.
As promised here it is. Could easily mount it further forward and extend it out even more but does nothing to get it closer to the bore.

Mainly got it for quick bipod mounting and removal as well as play well with mounting to a tripod and RRS ballhead.
wrDWHFi.jpg

It’s not perfect but an inexpensive solution.
As an added bonus it’s got a cheesy compass out front now so I will never get lost. :)

Last edited:
alaskalanche, what rail is this? The best I could find to push my wife's Harris bipod out for her Ruger 10/22 on a Archangel Ruger Precision Stock was only about a foot on a picatinny rail I found somewhere that will attach to another picatinny rail.