• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Rifle Scopes Broken side focus on super sniper

762DMR

Private
Minuteman
Apr 9, 2011
north AZ
This is the second 10x42SS with side focus that has died! this time with only 150rnds thru it.SWFA was great replacing it the first time but after doing some research Im not confident with the side focous.
My question is, has anybody had any luck getting SWFA to swap models with a warranty? My buddy and I also have 16x42SS/ rear focus that work great, no problems.

Thanks, Rob

Re: Broken side focus on super sniper

You probably should have called them first. I'm pretty certain that SWFA would hvae liked the oppurtunity to fix the problem before it was aired publicly. It's not a big deal just a thought.

That being said I'm sure that SWFA will take care of you. They allowed me to trade in my SS 10x HD when the new SS 5-20 HD came out without any hassle.

Since I've started dealing with SWFA I've decided that I'll will always look to them in the future when in need of optics, mounts, and bases. Great Company

I'm sure they will take care of him, but it is valuable information.

This is not a knock on SWFA, but folks need to know if there are reliability issues, after all that is one of the reasons for this forum.

Correct, I was shooting groups, everything working great. I go to shoot my next and my scope is out of focus. Side knob has no effect, checked set screws ect. I can hear something moving back and forth when I tilt the scope.
SWFA is closed on the weekend so I am tring to get collective info/ opinion on the side focus vs rear focus.
As I stated before SWFA was great the first time, less than 10 day turnaround! But I dont want another side focus if its not dependable.
More info; the gun is .308 bolt, EGW HD mount, Badger rings, 168smk/ 44.5g varget.

Thanks, Rob

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 67rschev</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Off of a Leadsled or vise ? Can be very rough on optics with the rifle locked down .</div></div>
How come? Physics would suggest otherwise.

Bipod and a rear bag.
308SNIPERjpg.jpg

I personally have never used the side focus version. The rear adjustables though... I have had plenty... and never a problem one out of them. Good stuff!!

DK

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Jeo556</div><div class="ubbcode-body">You probably should have called them first. I'm pretty certain that SWFA would hvae liked the oppurtunity to fix the problem before it was aired publicly. It's not a big deal just a thought.

That being said I'm sure that SWFA will take care of you. They allowed me to trade in my SS 10x HD when the new SS 5-20 HD came out without any hassle.

Since I've started dealing with SWFA I've decided that I'll will always look to them in the future when in need of optics, mounts, and bases. Great Company </div></div>

Well, Customer Service, even the most excellent, should really be used by each customer only once in a lifetime.

Twice, for the same product, is worse, and worse still the closer it is to the FIRST use of Customer Service.

Me, I want a warranty I'll never need to use. THAT's quality, and quality control, truly in action.

Besides, the post was on the weekend.

Man I wish I had the luck you are talking about.

Optic customer service that I have used, lets see. Leupold once, Bushnell twice, IOR 4 or 5 times, Meopta once, Vortex once, Tasco once, Cabelas brand twice. I have not yet needed Trijicon, Burris, Swaro, or SWFA. I have had a bunch of SWFA scopes and not had a problem yet. They are my go to brand.

Just wanted to give a +1 to SWFA customer service. The first 10x42 HD I ordered came with mis-keyed notches on both the elevation and windage knobs. SWFA quickly sent me a new one along with a swag package and a *hand-written* letter apologizing for the inconvenience and letting me know that the replacement scope was personally inspected before it shipped out. Excellent company and a great scope!!!

I have had one for years it has been on 17 hmr to a 300 win. mag. with 1000's of rounds and have never had a problem with the side focus. they are good scopes for the money. I am sure Swfa will work with you. Good luck

Sounds like a warped base to me, is the base bed properly, and either way it needs checking with a straight edge, assuming the rings are lapped.

If not lap the rings pronto.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Crnkin</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Sounds like a warped base to me, is the base bed properly, and either way it needs checking with a straight edge, assuming the rings are lapped.

If not lap the rings pronto. </div></div>

Negative! You do NOT lap Badger rings.

Some people are just way to lap happy. With good quality rings very very seldom do you need to lap. Almost always the misalignment is caused by the top of the action being not straight. By bedding the base properly that can be corrected.