caliber potential, 7mm v .30

vendetta333

Private
Minuteman
Jul 13, 2011
which cartridge would you all say has the most inherent potential? 7mm. Rem. Mag. or 300 winmag? and by inherent potential, i don't mean solely potential for velocity, but as a performer out past 1000 yds. i plan on using this gun im building to pull double duty as a long range hunting rifle. but that would be limited to around 700-759 yds. thanx for all comments guys!

Re: caliber potential, 7mm v .30

Welcome to the hide..

What type of game do you plan to hunt elk, deer? the 300 will have more energy down range, the 7mm mag will be flatter with less recoil. Both have good bullet selection and can be very accurate. If your going to be shooing a lot i think the 7mm mag will be cheaper in the long run less powder, shoot more... Its really a toss up, but if i was to choose i would with the 7mm mag just because i have a 300 win mag and the 7mm mag would be be with the less recoil and knowing i could put the shot in the vitals with easy.

If 750y is your max, I would say either way you are fine. A 208 Amax will carry a full load of DRT clear out to 1k, a 7mmRM perhaps a bit less with the 162gr Amax, or the 180gr Berger Hunting VLD, still, 800 with a good 7mm load should be more than doable. Perhaps play with JBM ballistics a little?

Good Shooting,
Gary

I have a 7wsm and a 300wm. I shoot 180 vld's in the 7mm and 210vld's in the 300. They both are very accurate to 1000yds and either one will kill whatever you want to that distance if you can do your part and provide a good shot. The 7mm does have much less recoil

I just bought a 30-06 and might be another option for you... Great reports on them, lots of info and bullets to handload and plenty of punch
smile.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vendetta333</div><div class="ubbcode-body">which cartridge would you all say has the most inherent potential? 7mm. Rem. Mag. or 300 winmag?</div></div>
Potential, numbers say 7mm RemMag.

Either one will work and no you don't need anything bigger even out to 1000 yards with the right bullet you will be fine with either. The 7mm will shoot a little flatter and recoil less then the 300 win but both are very accurate.

Im a huge 7mm fan. The Berger 180 VLD is a magnificant projectile.

Both chamberings have good potential and will easily get the job done.

The only real advantage I feel the .30 cal has over the 7mm is the added projectile weight, and hence greater available energy to transfer down range onto your target.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: vman</div><div class="ubbcode-body">The only real advantage I feel the .30 cal has over the 7mm is the added projectile weight, and hence greater available energy to transfer down range onto your target. </div></div>
If you are shooting long distances the 7mm actually has more energy due to higher velocity on high BC bullets. A high BC .30 bullet like 208gr A-Max does a good job but the added weight comes with a considerable velocity disadvantage. Since E = m * v^2, the smaller and faster bullet will come out ahead on longer shots.

Me personally I would 300wsm capable of 1000+ and ideal for 700yds I'm building the same sort of setup and 300 wsm is superior as a target round compared to win mag but drops off quicker is the only downside

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: trailrider121</div><div class="ubbcode-body">It doesn't matter what caliber is being used, shot placement is key. Anytime shooting long range distance you better be on you game. Wind plays a big roll. </div></div>

Like Trail said, shot placement is key. Otherwise, both guns are very accurate and will kill out to those distances. At that point, everyone is going to have their favorites, mine is the 300 wm, but its because that is what I own and was handed down to me. Doesn't mean that the other caliber is any better or worse, its just my gun. Get what you feel comfortable with. The 7mm mag does have a flatter trajectory, less gas leaving the barrel (less recoil) and uses less powder, but the 300 delivers more power down range.

Yes, wind is very important but if you'll look at the ballistic coefficients for the .284 caliber, they are usually much higher for smaller projectiles. Personally, .300 win mag is my fav. Shooting 210 vlds w/ 72.7 r22 and nothing that has gotten hit ever moved again.