• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Calypso ultrasonic wind meter

Have been using one of the Calypso ultrasonic Solar Wind meters for about 2 years now. In short, I love them. Here are a few tips:

1) Particulars of the wind meter I'm using:
"hardware_revision": "3.00",
"firmware_revision": "2.24",
"software_revision": "1.41E"

2) Be patient... If you're not tech savvy, they can be a bit of morale buster.

3) I use a Garmin Delta Tactics Solar watch with the Calypso app for in stage wind calls. Can say, this has saved me more than a few times, just don't get stuck watching your watch and run out of time.

4) If there are multiple Calypso wind meters at matches, you'll have challenges connecting. You need to know the serial number (MAC address "serial_number": "CD:70:52:83:BE:35") of your wind meter (if you're using firmware 2.24 or newer) and make sure you're connecting to the correct wind meter or you'll steel you're buddy's and get his wind calls. If you run into this, the only solve is to walk away from everyone with your wind meter (~50') and connect to your sensor. Walk back to your squad with the wind meter connected.

5) Because of the limitations of connecting to my device, I've built a bluetooth repeater/range extender that allows me to be "sticky" to my wind meter and also allowing 2 devices to connect to it. (ie, a buddy can connect to it, or I can now leave an iPad on my tripod so other can look at what the wind is doing over time.). I can now walk about 100' from my wind meter and it stays connected with no problem. Will post a few pics on SN once I clean the setup up a bit.

6) Up-the sample rate. Out of the box, your wind meter will us a 4Hz sample rate. This is how quickly your device samples the air per second. (4Hz=4 time per second) If you're running a min-meter, when it goes into low power mode, it'll drop down to 1Hz. It's a big difference when you compare 4Hz to 1Hz in the iPhone and android apps. There is a 3rd option for sampling faster, 8Hz. You'll need a laptop and will need to be pretty tach savvy to hard code the sample rate to 8Hz. After I changed mine to 8Hz, the wind readings on my Garmin are near real time. At 4Hz, there is a "lag" of about 1-2 seconds between the wind changing as you feel it to when your devices report it.

7) I've found that the solar model is better than the mini. There are 3 kinds Calypso sells:
A) (This one will need external equipment, I don't recommend you buy it for PRS or other matches/shoot). https://calypsoinstruments.com/shop/product/ultra-low-power-ultrasonic-wind-meter-ulp-standard-6
B) This is the one I have: https://calypsoinstruments.com/shop/product/ultrasonic-portable-solar-wind-meter-2#attr=62
C) The mini... I'm not a fan: https://calypsoinstruments.com/shop/product/ultrasonic-portable-mini-wind-meter-221#attr=195,191

8) If you're a developer, you'll need to "sign your life away" with Calypso Instruments in order to get their developer manual. Make sure to review their agreement if you ask for it. I was able to get them to red line my agreement so it was more equitable. I'm writing a new Garmin app for these things that'll have several features I've seen other shooters asking for:

A) Ability to name, remember, and secure a wind meter to a given device (similar what Kestrels do)
B) Auto reconnect to wind meter if a connection is lost (because when you gotta pee, you gotta pee)
C) Garmin alerts (sounds and vibration) if wind changes direction over a given value
D) In stage timer. Ability to use the Garmin as a timer while also being used as a wind meter
E) Average wind over a given timeframe
F) Wind per target in single screen (List of targets and the wind based on their direction
G) Customize the colors and layout of the Garmin app via smart phone
H) Longer term item - Integration with AE Ballistic app on a Garmin device to provide DOPE
I) Longer term item - Ability to record heart rate and respiration while in stage (for training and awareness of how we handle in stage stress)

Will make the app cheap when it's ready. Most likely, next season (2025)

Hope this helps.
FWIW the Anemotracker app itself is pretty good on reconnecting to the "last device" used, no idea if that function is covered in their dev manual. Looking forward to seeing your repeater setup.

FWIW the Anemotracker app itself is pretty good on reconnecting to the "last device" used, no idea if that function is covered in their dev manual. Looking forward to seeing your repeater setup.
Yes, their app is pretty good at remembering and even permitting someone to rename their device. It's actually the app I use on my iOS devices. Most of the shooters I see using these are running Garmin smart watches. That Calypso app doesn't have similar features to Anemotracker. I'd bet that we'll see more integration and features using these devices in the near future. Seems that they are starting to catch on a bit. Hope you're shooting better using yours too.

Have been using one of the Calypso ultrasonic Solar Wind meters for about 2 years now. In short, I love them. Here are a few tips:

3) I use a Garmin Delta Tactics Solar watch with the Calypso app for in stage wind calls. Can say, this has saved me more than a few times, just don't get stuck watching your watch and run out of time.

4) If there are multiple Calypso wind meters at matches, you'll have challenges connecting. You need to know the serial number (MAC address "serial_number": "CD:70:52:83:BE:35") of your wind meter (if you're using firmware 2.24 or newer) and make sure you're connecting to the correct wind meter or you'll steel you're buddy's and get his wind calls. If you run into this, the only solve is to walk away from everyone with your wind meter (~50') and connect to your sensor. Walk back to your squad with the wind meter connected.

5) Because of the limitations of connecting to my device, I've built a bluetooth repeater/range extender that allows me to be "sticky" to my wind meter and also allowing 2 devices to connect to it. (ie, a buddy can connect to it, or I can now leave an iPad on my tripod so other can look at what the wind is doing over time.). I can now walk about 100' from my wind meter and it stays connected with no problem. Will post a few pics on SN once I clean the setup up a bit.

6) Up-the sample rate. Out of the box, your wind meter will us a 4Hz sample rate. This is how quickly your device samples the air per second. (4Hz=4 time per second) If you're running a min-meter, when it goes into low power mode, it'll drop down to 1Hz. It's a big difference when you compare 4Hz to 1Hz in the iPhone and android apps. There is a 3rd option for sampling faster, 8Hz. You'll need a laptop and will need to be pretty tach savvy to hard code the sample rate to 8Hz. After I changed mine to 8Hz, the wind readings on my Garmin are near real time. At 4Hz, there is a "lag" of about 1-2 seconds between the wind changing as you feel it to when your devices report it.

7) I've found that the solar model is better than the mini. There are 3 kinds Calypso sells:
A) (This one will need external equipment, I don't recommend you buy it for PRS or other matches/shoot). https://calypsoinstruments.com/shop/product/ultra-low-power-ultrasonic-wind-meter-ulp-standard-6
B) This is the one I have: https://calypsoinstruments.com/shop/product/ultrasonic-portable-solar-wind-meter-2#attr=62
C) The mini... I'm not a fan: https://calypsoinstruments.com/shop/product/ultrasonic-portable-mini-wind-meter-221#attr=195,191

8) If you're a developer, you'll need to "sign your life away" with Calypso Instruments in order to get their developer manual. Make sure to review their agreement if you ask for it. I was able to get them to red line my agreement so it was more equitable. I'm writing a new Garmin app for these things that'll have several features I've seen other shooters asking for:

A) Ability to name, remember, and secure a wind meter to a given device (similar what Kestrels do)
B) Auto reconnect to wind meter if a connection is lost (because when you gotta pee, you gotta pee)
C) Garmin alerts (sounds and vibration) if wind changes direction over a given value
D) In stage timer. Ability to use the Garmin as a timer while also being used as a wind meter
F) Wind per target in single screen (List of targets and the wind based on their direction
H) Longer term item - Integration with AE Ballistic app on a Garmin device to provide DOPE
I) Longer term item - Ability to record heart rate and respiration while in stage (for training and awareness of how we handle in stage stress)

Hope this helps.
Looking forward to seeing the app. Also repeater setup sounds great

Hello usmcgeek1775. Thank you for the interesting and academic report. My solar powered device is working relatively well too. Relatively, because in cold and humid weather, it shows very strange indicators. However, it responds well to EPR and does not introduce errors.
I wonder how the frequency mode changes? Is it automatic, or do you need to register something in the phone, firmware, ...?
My mini never started working. I changed several charging stations, but there are no original chargers in Ukraine. Perhaps this is the problem.
Neither the seller of the goods nor the manufacturer gives a substantive answer, but simply ignores the appeal.
If you send it back to the store, you risk losing more than 170 euros.
We bought this device as a backup and spare. We'll probably have to get another one with a solar panel.

Reactions: usmcgeek1775
Sorry to hear about your troubles. Another reason I’m happy with the solar model. I haven’t seen issues in humidity. Am in Texas and it can get very humid here. Will keep an eye on it over the winter.

For changing the sample rate, you’ll need to be tech savvy. I borrowed a python driver: https://github.com/maritime-labs/calypso-anemometer

Once your dev environment is setup run “calypso-anemometer set-options —rate=hz_8”

Reactions: serg tihan

Hope this helps.
Hacked their BLE IC and tapped a 2.4GHz antenna to it. ~100’+ of range for multiple devices now

Attachments

• IMG_6120.jpeg
    IMG_6120.jpeg
    508.2 KB · Views: 12
Let's see if the new update works out well.

So far... my AB mini has been disconnecting from the app after I did I a firmware update. Connecting to the configurator is just an endless "connecting" screen.

Update:
It connects to a kilo8k and kestrel... But doesn't really do anything.

Last edited:
Let's see if the new update works out well.

So far... my AB mini has been disconnecting from the app after I did I a firmware update. Connecting to the configurator is just an endless "connecting" screen.

Update:
It connects to a kilo8k and kestrel... But doesn't really do anything.
The same thing happened to me. I couldn't reconnect after the update. I reinstalled the app then disabled and re-enabled Bluetooth. After that, I was able to connect again.

Yea don’t think there is any significant change 🥲

The same thing happened to me. I couldn't reconnect after the update. I reinstalled the app then disabled and re-enabled Bluetooth. After that, I was able to connect again.

Yea don’t think there is any significant change 🥲
Thanks for the idea. I ran the configurator update from the configurator app Wednesday. After doing so, the wind meter would immediately disconnect from the anemotracker app the moment it connected. If I tried to connect it back to the configurator app, it would hand on the connection screen and not connect. I thought it was bricked. At this point I contacted Calypso and they are looking into the problem. I'll give you guys an update with whatever they come back with.

After seeing your post, I tried turning the bluetooth on the phone off and then back on. Nothing changed with that so I than tried re-installing both apps and then it connected to both. At this time the meter registered only an unchanging and incorrect wind speed though. I tried re-installing the update from the configurator app 3-4 times. Each time it said it updated. I thought maybe it was doing subsequent updates one at a time. I'm still not sure if that is what it was doing or if it was just reinstalling the same update. However, now it connects to the anemotracker app and registers a wind speed and direction that looks accurate based on the direction to the air vent I sat it in front of.

In any case, the meter appears working again now but I don't think there is yet functionality with the AB as it dosen't connect either to the Vectronix or the Sig AB applications. I'll keep youg guys posted with any changes or replys from Calypso as they come in.