Carbon Barrel cracked??

I have a 26" light palma steel, it's the same weight as a benchmark sendero carbon, shoots better too. If a person wants lighter weight, run a light palma, still able to cut 5/8x24 for a muzzle device.
We also do reverse muzzle tapers. Like a Anshutz type muzzle. So for example we do a #2B contour with a .600 muzzle normally but then put a reverse taper on the muzzle. Looks like a mini breech end of the barrel type look… So like from .600” to a 45 degree taper up to a .700 or .750” diameter for a couple of inches so you have some meat to thread the muzzle for a suppressor attachment etc…

Apropo of nothing, here's a rando vid (re: cryo treatment) on how Krieger does their barrels.

Extreme cold shouldn't necessarily affect a well-done carbon fiber wrap based on aero and space applications.

Last edited:
I did a 20” .223 barrel with the lightest contour that I could put 5/8”x24 muzzle threads on, it came out to 55 oz which was a pound heavier than my 20” 7 PRC barrel.
Alot more meat around bore and chamber area, comparing 7prc to 223. Also a skinny barrel can have a taper left at muzzle threads to act as a shoulder. I've had several pencil barrel ar pipes that were .560 dia in front of gas block and then flared out to provide shoulder for muzzle threads.

Reactions: lash
Apropo of nothing, here's a rando vid (re: cryo treatment) on how Krieger does their barrels.

Extreme cold shouldn't necessarily affect a well-done carbon fiber wrap based on aero and space applications.

Carbon fiber space parts, such as cryo fuel tanks are 100% carbon, not steel wrapped in carbon.

Last edited:
Reactions: lash
IMG_0710.JPG

Doesn't sound like a good idea.
With dissimilar materials bound tightly together. It would seem logical that when the temperature comes back up the steel would expand faster than the carbon wrap, cracking it.
It would still be safe to shoot, it would seem, but cracks would change the harmonics of the thin steel barrel beneath, most likely in a negative way.
Tight wrap and spaces in wrap, would wreck the tuning fork.
Sounds like scrap barrels, to me.
Have to shoot em to see.

@LRTalley - if I was you, I would go and talk to the cryo company now. It was their service that ultimately ruined your barrel, while it was in their care. They need to take care of you. IMO, its their responsibility to make this right.
Wrong. This is what happens when people who know nothing about materials play amateur metallurgist and pay for thermal processing without understanding what's going on.

Same as having shit nitrided with no understanding of the initial and final metallurgy.

Extreme cold shouldn't necessarily affect a well-done carbon fiber wrap based on aero and space apapplications
This depends in some part on the geometry of the bonded parts especially the metallic one and the stresses imposed on the CF.

Is the CF wrap bonded to the barrel at the ends? If so the wrap will be subject to axial stresses as the barrel changes length as well as diameter during contraction.

This depends in some part on the geometry of the bonded parts especially the metallic one and the stresses imposed on the CF.

Is the CF wrap bonded to the barrel at the ends? If so the wrap will be subject to axial stresses as the barrel changes length as well as diameter during contraction.

Agreed. One note is that regardless of the the CF being bonded or not at the ends it will be subject to axial stresses. The bonding area along the length is still changing length as temperature changes.

Reactions: 308pirate and lash

Completely different applications. In my experience, CFRP parts that are being put in space, especially for optical instruments, have laminates that are specifically designed for a certain CTE or even zero CTE. This allows the laminate to move along with whatever other hardware is needed throughout the temperature swings seen in those environments.

I'm not sure the amount of engineering that goes into carbon wrapped barrels but using aerospace applications of the material as a litmus test for carbon wrapped barrels is probably misguided.

Reactions: Darryle
The reason I choose carbon wrapped barrels for a hunting rifle is to have enough meat at the muzzle for threading. On a 338 with 3/4" threads, you are pretty much limited to truck axle barrels, and carbon saves you a couple pounds. If you don't care about threading for a can, stick with steel.
Sound reasoning, though a smith can custom machine a larger diameter permanent "adapter" to allow for larger threads/shoulder and be perfectly concentric. Just another way to skin that cat, and less expensive than the cfw.

Reactions: surgeon260 and lash