• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Gunsmithing Case exploded today !!!

shooter65

General
Banned !
Minuteman
  • Jun 19, 2004
    Indiana
    First of all I will start off by saying ALWAYS were eye and ear protection when shooting 100% of the time!!! ( As we all do).

I was shooting in a varmint match today and just got done firing the 600 yd. bank of steel targets. So far all is well the Hornady 75 gr. match ammo. I was using. We then started on the 500 yd string, as I was two rounds into this string and fired on the third shot - BOOM..I was blasted in the face with powder and brass particles. Hoping I was not seriously injured, my spotter who was my shooting partner for the day checked me over and told me I had a few puntcure wounds and a trickle of blood from each hole. Wow was I relieved this is all that I received along with powder burns from this case explosion.

The empty case would not extract from the chamber so it had to be removed with a cleaning rod from the muzzle end. As you can see by the pictures to the extractor my shooting day was over at this point. Primer was never found.

Can anyone tell me why this case failed?
    Also if you have any ammo from this lot number this is a caution to you.

splitcase13-1-090001.jpg

splitcase103-1-090001.jpg

splitcase23-1-090001.jpg

splitcase33-1-090001.jpg

splitcase43-1-090001.jpg

splitcase53-1-090001.jpg

splitcase63-1-090001.jpg

splitcase73-1-090001.jpg

splitcase83-1-090001.jpg

splitcase93-1-090001.jpg

Case exploded today !!

First of all I will start off by saying ALWAYS were eye and ear protection when shooting 100% of the time!!! ( As we all do).

I was shooting in a varmint match today and just got done firing the 600 yd. bank of steel targets. So far all is well the Hornady 75 gr. match ammo. I was using. We then started on the 500 yd string, as I was two rounds into this string and fired on the third shot - BOOM..I was blasted in the face with powder and brass particles. Hoping I was not seriously injured, my spotter who was my shooting partner for the day checked me over and told me I had a few puntcure wounds and a trickle of blood from each hole. Wow was I relieved this is all that I received along with powder burns from this case explosion.

The empty case would not extract from the chamber so it had to be removed with a cleaning rod from the muzzle end. As you can see by the pictures to the extractor my shooting day was over at this point. Primer was never found.

Can anyone tell me why this case failed?
    Also if you have any ammo from this lot number this is a caution to you.

splitcase13-1-090001.jpg

splitcase103-1-090001.jpg

splitcase23-1-090001.jpg

splitcase33-1-090001.jpg

splitcase43-1-090001.jpg

splitcase53-1-090001.jpg

splitcase63-1-090001.jpg

splitcase73-1-090001.jpg

splitcase83-1-090001.jpg

splitcase93-1-090001.jpg

Re: Case exploded today !!

If I were you, I'd forward this to Hornaday. I'm sure they will want to have that box of rounds back and examine them. Glad you were not seriously hurt. Any more boxes of that ammo you might want to send to them as well.

Hornaday is good people, they will take care of you.

Re: Case exploded today !!

Yikes, and with factory ammo...Hornaday would probably like to know that this lot number, or at a minimum thier ammo is gernading in rifles.

Hornaday CS is topnotch, I am sure they will probably replace it as well.

Good thing for your eye protection, I think I will think twice about shooting with out it...

Re: Case exploded today !!!

"Remanufactured" tells you a lot right there.

Case reloaded too many times?

Double charge?

Improperly set primer?

Glad you're okay, and great photo/lighting skills.

I guess a factory overcharge???

I wouldn't go shitty sue happy, but I'd get my extractor fixed on their dime and some replacement ammo fo sho....

had the same thing happen once to me. it destoyed my upper receiver an blew my bolt apart on my ar. i believe i had a weak side wall in the case and when it fired and swelled in the chamber the extractor tore a piece of it out that did not come out of the bolt locking lugs to which this piece was smashed further by the follow up round. the next round was fired with the bolt partially out of battery and KABOOM. not sure what happened exactly to you but the round looks over pressured to me. did you happen to look where it did impact on your target? as that may tell you something. when i see a primer missing like that i usually think the round was not in contact with the bolt face at the point of discharge.

If I were you, I'd forward this to Hornaday. I'm sure they will want to have that box of rounds back and examine them. Glad you were not seriously hurt. Any more boxes of that ammo you might want to send to them as well.

Hornaday is good people, they will take care of you.

also, is all the brass the lc same lot etc? i have ran into a internal dimension which created an overpressured round. i am unclear how you recieved so much shrapnel with the bolt in full battery.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: JRose</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I guess a factory overcharge???

I wouldn't go shitty sue happy, but I'd get my extractor fixed on their dime and some replacement ammo fo sho.... </div></div>

Thats what I'm saying.. Get some shooting money..

Well, LC NATO cases are about as tough as they come........
    Can't say I can diagnose that issue.
    No case head separation that I can see, appears primer pocket gave way.
    Surprised to see corrosion on the ammo, unless you have it stored where it could form.

But, it did not fail there..................

I would send the pics to Hornady, and see what they say, and are prepared to do to pay for your damages.

( New extractor $20.00 installed max..........).

<span style="font-weight: bold">NO way the action or BOLT is hurt...............but, I would have them looked at, when the extractor is replaced........</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">ALSO, I would NOT have anything done until you get a reply from Hornady..........PERIOD.</span>

They will want the WHOLE box, I would keep several of them personally.

Just in case.................

Matter of fact, I would pull 5-6 down, check powder and chg weights...............

I will contact them tomorrow and let them know what happend. Just hope no one else has this problem with this ammo.
    Ammo is not corroted. just a reflection from the light.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Two Shoes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Well, LC NATO cases are about as tough as they come........
    Can't say I can diagnose that issue.
    No case head separation that I can see, appears primer pocket gave way.
    Surprised to see corrosion on the ammo, unless you have it stored where it could form.

But, it did not fail there..................

I would send the pics to Hornady, and see what they say, and are prepared to do to pay for your damages.

( New extractor $20.00 installed max..........).

<span style="font-weight: bold">NO way the action or BOLT is hurt...............but, I would have them looked at, when the extractor is replaced........</span>

<span style="font-weight: bold">ALSO, I would NOT have anything done until you get a reply from Hornady..........PERIOD.</span>

They will want the WHOLE box, I would keep several of them personally.

Just in case.................

Matter of fact, I would pull 5-6 down, check powder and chg weights............... </div></div>

I wear hearing protection but really hate looking through shooting glasses. They bother me alot. Looks like that habbit is about to break, can't shoot with damaged eyes.
    Glad your O.K. I'll be wearing glasses from now on! Any good ones that are confortable for tactical mathes?

JamieD

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scott E White</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #FF0000">This is NOT Hornady ammo!</span> Look at the end-flap. <span style="color: #FF0000">Remanufactured (reloaded) by 3-D</span>, with Hornady bullets.</span>

Go to the responsible source:
    3-D, Inc.
    P.O.Box J
    Doniphan, NE 68832
    (402) 845-2285

Years ago, in the days of S&W double-action revolvers, my P/T P.D. used their ammo for training & qualifications (148gr. HBWC .38spec). Back then, that was the ONLY approved load for qualifying.
    shocked.gif

As I recall it was pretty good stuff with only "occasional" bad primers or squib loads, and they always gave the Town the lowest bid-price. </div></div>

Thank You-that's what I see also. I don't see this being Hornady's problem......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: NF Optics-Bill</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Scott E White</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><span style="font-weight: bold"><span style="color: #FF0000">This is NOT Hornady ammo!</span> Look at the end-flap. <span style="color: #FF0000">Remanufactured (reloaded) by 3-D</span>, with Hornady bullets.</span>

Go to the responsible source:
    3-D, Inc.
    P.O.Box J
    Doniphan, NE 68832
    (402) 845-2285

Years ago, in the days of S&W double-action revolvers, my P/T P.D. used their ammo for training & qualifications (148gr. HBWC .38spec). Back then, that was the ONLY approved load for qualifying.
    shocked.gif

As I recall it was pretty good stuff with only "occasional" bad primers or squib loads, and they always gave the Town the lowest bid-price. </div></div>

Thank You-that's what I see also. I don't see this being Hornady's problem...... </div></div>

Good catch! That'll save a lot of time and frustration. Now the ball is in 3-D, Inc. court.

I have shot hundreds of rounds of the Black Hills red and blue box with zero issues. The first 50 round box of this stuff performed flawlessly and the failure occurred with the first shot of the second box

Holy shit, must be the CA weather, but the exact thing just happened to me today at Angeles. Get this, I was shooting the same 3-D stuff only it was their 60gr barrier ammo.

Face got peppered a bit and came out a little bloody. My case looks the same as yours, but the primer stayed intact. I noticed that the bolt was getting hard to close as the day went on. Finally, had my kB. I examined my brass and it looked like the extract was causing more an more damage as the day went on. I will post pics tomorrow.

Wow, that is ironic for sure.
    It does get your attention quick....

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tony.</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Holy shit, must be the CA weather, but the exact thing just happened to me today at Angeles. Get this, I was shooting the same 3-D stuff only it was their 60gr barrier ammo.

Face got peppered a bit and came out a little bloody. My case looks the same as yours, but the primer stayed intact. I noticed that the bolt was getting hard to close as the day went on. Finally, had my kB. I examined my brass and it looked like the extract was causing more an more damage as the day went on. I will post pics tomorrow. </div></div>

Wow sorry hear and glad you are OK!!

I am at work and cant see the pics. I suggest that you list the proper ammo type in yoru first post to who made it or where you bought it so that the correct company is listed as the source of the problem and so that another company doesnt take its blame!!

Keep us posted on what happens!!

I have a several thousand rounds of that ammo at home. I bought all of mine through Carl Leisinger many years back.
    http://www.radomski.us/njhp/major.htm
    It was advertised as factory Hornady reman ammo. Originally it was all in mixed once fired LC brass, then later some new import stuff? was used. I can't remember the marking.

I had one round do that in a Noveske chambered AR. It was with LC brass. Your pic looks almost exactly like my case. Also noticed a lot of the spent brass had split necks. I wish I was home to check the lot number(s).

I shot a thousand or so rounds of it through an RRA Varminter with Wylde chamber with nothing major happening (just split necks every now and then). I've given up on the LC cased stuff in match chambers and have it set aside to blast away in a 5.56 chambered rifle...just to get rid of it.

The stuff in the new cases has been 100%. None of the problems mentioned above.

I have about 2.5k of the LC stuff left, so I'm very interested in how your call to Hornady or that 3D place goes.

Regards,
    CHRIS

Well, my $ is on 3-D being LICENSED to do it, as they are using the Hornady Logo, and company name, and are in the same state.............

Hornady Mfg. Co.
    3625 Old Potash Hwy
    Grand Island, NE 68802-1848

So, while Hornady did not actually Mfgr the ammo, they are potentially 2nd in line for issue's related.

Unless 3-D can use their name and logo..............w/out asking,having written permission.................

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: shooter65</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Spoke with Hornady today and they are issuing a call tag for the ammo so they can inspect it.
    </div></div>

WHY would they care, IF they did not have a hand in it?.
    Answer.............they do.

<span style="font-weight: bold">B_I_N_G_O!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!</span>

Wow look at them primers after i would have seen a few of them i would have called it quits!!!

They look like they are running on ragged edge!! What was the load?

Had that happen with some Georgia Arms canned heat 168s. Does get your attention. They stepped up and were going to either pay for the extractor to get fixed or send me some more ammo. I took the ammo as the fix was only bout $20. They sent me 200 rounds and I had GAP fix my extractor.
    P1010050.jpg

P1010047.jpg

looks very similar to my issue.
    No bolt damage?

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Rob01</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Had that happen with some Georgia Arms canned heat 168s. Does get your attention. They stepped up and were going to either pay for the extractor to get fixed or send me some more ammo. I took the ammo as the fix was only bout $20. They sent me 200 rounds and I had GAP fix my extractor.
    P1010050.jpg

P1010047.jpg
    </div></div>

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Two Shoes</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Due to circumstances beyond our control, HORNADY REMANUFACTURED MATCH AMMUNITION is no longer available. SORRY!

</div></div>

Wow glad your alright, that would be a horrible feeling.

Yup. Had a few little nicks on my face. Always wear glasses though so the eyes were fine.