• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Gunsmithing Choate Stock bipod modification

tmshot

Sergeant
Minuteman
May 11, 2010
PA
This was my first summer using the Choate "ultimate sniper" stock. While I know that there are a lot of differing opinions on this stock (heavy, plastic), its not bad for the money. One thing that bothered me is the bipod mount.
For those that don't know, it has a slide mechanism in a channel that can slide the bipod forward and back, changing elevation.
I did not use this feature once... at all. In fact. I found that it often was wobbly and put a lot of pressure on the bipod.
I found a simple solution that I thought I would share in case anyone else shares in my dislike of this feature.

I simply:
took the slide out,
Removed a slide screw (more than one removed in picture)
Took an uncle mike sling swivel stud (threaded with nut)
and mounted it in the hole. Let the swivel hang loose and drew it up with the bipod.
Total cost was $2.50 for the swivel and 10 minutes of time.
Swivel kit Midway

The bipod is now flush mounted and very sturdy.

Just thought I would share, I know there are a lot of these out there. Hope it helps someone out.

Choatebipod2.jpg

Choatebipod.jpg

Choatebipod3.jpg

Re: Choate Stock bipod modification

You like your stock? I got mine about 8 years ago before I knew anything about accurate rifles because it looked cool. I butchered mine about a year ago when I really got in to bolt guns and built me a bipod. I'm building a .30-06 on a model 70 action. My Choate stock is temp until I get an A5. Thought you might get a kick out of it.
0915102022-00.jpg

I cut the sloped section of the fore stock off and removed the butt pad spacers and mounted the butt pad directly to the back of the stock. The total weight of what you see in the picture is 9lbs (including the homemade bi-pod). I made the bi-pod one day at work when I was bored. It locks into several positions.
0915102021-00.jpg

0915102020-00.jpg

The bi-pod has spring loaded pins that lock it into position. The following picture shows how you move it to different positions (you have to move each leg separately)
0915102024-00.jpg

I can't say that I like it. Its good for now on a tight budget. I will say that my accuracy increased from the factory stock and I like the grip. Its really not a bad starter and this mod just made it a little better.

That is quite the modification you have made to yours. I see that you shaved a lot of weight. Mine is 15 lb with bipod and scope.

There is a 1/2" steel plate to adjust the comb between the stock and the butt pad (and a nylon spacer to change the length of pull). That one plate weighs more than a pound. I have short arms so I didn't need it. If you can get rid of it its worth it. The aluminum pillar block does a good job. My rifle originally came with a featherweight synthetic stock. This stock made a big improvement in accuracy. Groups went from 3"@ 100yds to 1-1/2". I like the fat grip too. The fore stock slope didn't work out for me either. I used a sand bag instead of a bi-pod, but the squared edges always canted the rifle(it works pretty good on a block of wood or a hand rail). I understand the budget thing. The rifles getting built next month and I just got a $1200 scope. I'll be using my Choate stock for at least another year. I've almost finished another bi-pod for it. I threw the one together in the picture mainly to work out the geometry. The bi-pod on it is going in the trash when I finish the new one. You can have it if you want it.

I'm pretty happy with my new modification. It really is much more sturdy. Maybe you can throw the bipod up around here... someone may want it.
I can not believe I never noticed the the metal plate on the stock. I do like the length, but I think I will definitely get rid of the plate to lighten it up.
Thanks for pointing that out.

I know this is an older thread but I fixed my choate stock also. I removed the bipod mounting peice that came with the stock and drilled 2 holes(one on either side of the swivel stud) then threaded the holes to 10-32. next bought 2 set screws and used them to secure the bipod mount inplace. This allowed me to still adjust the bipod front to back ,but i was able to lock it down so it did not move around at all. The choate was an effort to save money. for the money it is not horrible but I am now getting a manners.

just my 2 cents

I can post some pics if anyone cares.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: chakup</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Here's my choate mod.... I had no rail-bipod around so had to test fit with a light. hahaha.

IMG_20111008_171258.jpg

</div></div>

So did you have to order that rail or did you have it built? It looks pretty sweet. Does the bulk of the rail feel awkward with it hanging below the stock like that?