• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Choosing a load

wwrhodes91

Sergeant
Minuteman
Oct 14, 2012
Hey guys,
So I just got reloading equipment a few days ago. I was able to load up 5 rounds of 8 different loads. I'm interested in exactly how I should choose which one's to do further testing on. I used 175 SMK (.308) with IMR 4064, lapua brass, and winchester primers. 2.8" COAL. All groups were shot at 200 yards. Here are the results, I took closeups of the one's I thought looked the most promising:

This wasn't the best group, but the bullet hit right where I thought it would every time. I think it was shooter error or it would have been tighter.

Best vertical spread. The shot that hit low was accidentally loaded with 43.4gr... I'm thinking this is the most promising group.

Best Horizontal spread

I already went ahead and loaded up 6 rounds each of the 43.7 and 42.9.

Last edited:
Wow for load development at 200 yards those are impressive.

Did you shoot them round robin? For the OCW tests I believe you are to shoot round robin and look for the smallest vertical spread across a series of groups. Not that any look bad but the groups in the 43 range look promising to me. Just my opinion though - I'm new at the OCW test as well.

Wow for load development at 200 yards those are impressive.

Did you shoot them round robin? For the OCW tests I believe you are to shoot round robin and look for the smallest vertical spread across a series of groups. Not that any look bad but the groups in the 43 range look promising to me. Just my opinion though - I'm new at the OCW test as well.

I decided to just keep it as simple as possible since I am brand new to reloading. I just shot all 5 of each group together. I made sure to keep the barrel from overheating though. 43.7 seems to be in the middle of two other good groups.

I didn't see any pressure signs? Should I load up some past 44gr?

Do you have a chronograph? I'd be really curious to see what velocity you are pushing at 43.7gr. Different rifles will pump out different velocities, but I'm seeing 2650fps out of a 24in barrel with only 42gr. 44gr would be really, really hot...even 43.7 I would think would be hot load for IMR 4064 in my rifle. If you're not seeing any pressure signs, go for it, but definitely keep a close eye on it.

Do you have a chronograph? I'd be really curious to see what velocity you are pushing at 43.7gr. Different rifles will pump out different velocities, but I'm seeing 2650fps out of a 24in barrel with only 42gr. 44gr would be really, really hot...even 43.7 I would think would be hot load for IMR 4064 in my rifle. If you're not seeing any pressure signs, go for it, but definitely keep a close eye on it.

Hogdon has their max load at 45.6, but Sierra has it at like 43.1. I don't have a chrono. I'm using a 20" barrel. I'm guessing that 43.7 puts me around 2650.

Hogdon has their max load at 45.6, but Sierra has it at like 43.1. I don't have a chrono. I'm using a 20" barrel. I'm guessing that 43.7 puts me around 2650.

You might be able to get a fairly good idea of velocity by using JBM and testing your actual dope vs what JBM gives you. I've never tried this, but I think it makes sense and it might work. Just an idea...

My 308 is a Savage and the throat is super short. I'm jamming a round at around 2.805, which is really, really short compared to most who can go quite a bit longer than that. I'd have to check my load data, but I'm jumping the 175s around .015-.020. Good choice with the 4064 though...it is by far the most accurate powder I've shot in my 308.

You might be able to get a fairly good idea of velocity by using JBM and testing your actual dope vs what JBM gives you. I've never tried this, but I think it makes sense and it might work. Just an idea...

My 308 is a Savage and the throat is super short. I'm jamming a round at around 2.805, which is really, really short compared to most who can go quite a bit longer than that. I'd have to check my load data, but I'm jumping the 175s around .015-.020. Good choice with the 4064 though...it is by far the most accurate powder I've shot in my 308.

I'm shooting a remington and I loaded to 2.800" COAL so I'm sure I was jumping quite a bit. I don't feel comfortable messing around with seating depth until I know I'm not going to mess up big.

IMO, in the second pic down, the group on the top right is what I'd work from, it has the least vertical dispersion, if it's not a hot load, just tweak your seating depth.

IMO, in the second pic down, the group on the top right is what I'd work from, it has the least vertical dispersion, if it's not a hot load, just tweak your seating depth.

Yea, but the group in the middle was almost perfect vertically, I just loaded the wrong charge weight on the shot that hit low.

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SGH-I337 using Tapatalk

I've seen barrels string vert/diag and horiz.....

But generally, settling on the powder charge, is looking at the least vertical. Unless you see obvious diag or horiz without wind issues during testing.

The powder test I did a few days ago, was 12-20 mph winds. I ignored horiz.... and my groups show all different results in vert,.. so I'm refining my testing based on the 2 groups with the least vert- starting just below and going just above both. I want to settle on a load that performs well, with room for error above and below that charge weight to reduce the risk of temperature sensitivity speeding up and slowing down my load.

Last edited: