• It's Hunting Season: Show Us Your Rack!

Hunting season is finally here and we want to see pictures of your rack! Show us what you've got and we'll throw in a few t-shirts to people that send pics 👀

View thread
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Chronograph

Cat64

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jul 28, 2013
North Louisiana
I don't know if this is the best place to ask this question but since it will be used mostly to collect data for reloading here it is. What is a good chronograph to buy and why? Thank you

If you are using rifles or pistols/revolvers with long enough barrels to allow attachment of the MagnetoSpeed bayonet, there is no faster, easier to use chronograph yet on the market. Other than attaching the bayonet, there is no set up . . . no screens, no going in front of the firing line, no chronograph to shoot :) , no lights, and works in any weather. The sole drawback is that it will almost cerainly change the POI due to alteration of barrel harmonics. Note that I have not seen any real evidence that group sizes are affected. This means the MagnetoSpeed is great on selected weapons, and for use other than with the same rounds you might fire for load development. (ie, extra rounds required to chronograph).

I also use a CED M2 chronograph that has performed very well, and matches data with the MagnetoSpeed after adjusting for the 10' difference in distance between the two. I like it because it records all the data you can use even during load development, transfers it to a PC in a format easy to use in Excel, can be used with any firearm, and the main part of the electronics are at the bench, not at the chrono. This means that those of us with older eyes can easily read the data, and when you shoot your chrono the valuable electronics are safely at the bench. The drawbacks are the setup for these type units requires time in front of the firing line, they are light and often weather dependent, and they are eminently shootable.

There are less expensive chronos (eg Shooting Chrony), and if you don't mind using pencil and paper to record data they work just fine. ES is a simple subtraction and Excel (or Open Office calc) can do the SD for you if you want. I would however recommend buying a unit that places the display at the shooter's location, not at the chronograph itself. The other upgrades available are normally a matter of adding data collection, storage, and PC transfer, and those depend ojn your personal preferences/needs.

Last edited:
I bought a PACT Model 1 back in '95 and it's worked fairly well. Sometimes, depending on the sun's angle, it'll miss some shots and lately, it's a bit more finicky, but I can send it in with $15 and they'll overhaul it for me.

The CED M2 would be one that I would buy next, but they've had issues in the past. I had two buddies buy them and both worked for a week and were sent back for new units. Service was good, but that was a bad batch, lol.

Chris

Chronograph

Scroll on down. This topic has been discussed many times over.

But since you asked. What will you be using he chrono for? If for rifles, I like the magentospeed

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Vp H cmhbffc

Skip the CED...I have one. It sucks. It only worked for a week and is very sensitive to light conditions even with the IR screens.

I have a magneto speed and couldn't be happier. Tests have shown that it is just as accurate and repeatable as the $600+ Oheler-35.

+1 for the magnetospeed. Extremely accurate, easy to set up, records all of your data and analyzes it on the fly (SD/ES/Ave/Max/Min velocities), oh and did we mention it was extremely accurate? Yea, it's extremely accurate.

You can pre-order the V3 on my website. I use the V2 and its fast, easy and reliable... Works really well.

register and login then use the coupon code 'SnipersHide2014' for the discount :)

I have purchased from hero fish before. Great guy, fast shipping. Wouldn't hesitate doing business with again. I have v2 of the magentospeed and it rocks

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk Vp H cmhbffc

Skip the CED...I have one. It sucks. It only worked for a week and is very sensitive to light conditions even with the IR screens.

I have a magneto speed and couldn't be happier. Tests have shown that it is just as accurate and repeatable as the $600+ Oheler-35.

I'm with this guy. I think your wife could conceive and give birth in the setup and tear down times! Does have a nice box or screen though, lots of goodies.

Magnetospeed. I have the V1 and it fits and works just fine on my TRG with the factory brake on it. Plus, they are pretty durable. I shot mine with a 6.8 mm (long story)and it still works fine.