cleaning barrel during long range session

veeramani

Private
Minuteman
Jan 26, 2013
Nevads
The other day I was shooting at 1230m with 338 lapua AWSM. Shots were consistent, but then after about the 8th shot ( unsupressed ), 2 shots started going like 1 mil down and 0.5 mil left.

I looked down the barrel and it was pretty dark, so I took a pull through ( OTIS cable with correct bronze brush ) and did 4 passes through it. Shots then came back to the oriignal POIs.

I was having the same issue prior when shooting this supressed and also with my 308 after like 20 shots.

Is this normal ? Am I doing the correct way of cleaning without scratching the barrel ? Please advise.

Or should I put in my data book to include barrel fouling correction after X number of shots ?

First i would ask how fast was your rate of fire. If your point of impact started to change that quickly after cleaning. I would think it was because of the barrel warming up. If the rate of fire was slow enough to the barrel warming up was not causing the impact change i would say to continue the shot count to the 20 to 30 range and see if the the point of impact changes holds at your noted 1 mil low .5 mil left. If it does then keep going to see if it still holds. All my rifles really do not do there best work until after 8 rounds fired and hold until 75 to 100 then i clean for carbon and powder and cont. shooting until groups do not hold anymore. Hope this helps

We have a very slow rate of fire. As in write notes about the shot in data book e.t.c after each shot.

I always carbon fouling clean after each trip and run a patch the bore prior. Never removed copper, ( still on like 300 round count).

And sorry it was not after 8th shot but 20th shot.

Any further ideas ?

Your better off not using a brass brush. In most cases cleaning a barrel is done with just patches and let the chemicals do the heavy lifting. It's a well accepted fact that more barrel are ruined by improper cleaning or over cleaning.

Try not cleaning your barrel at all for a few outings, see if it stays more consistent. There's no need to clean it every time you bring it home. You should be able to go several hundred rounds before you need a good cleaning.

For example, on my AI I'm at 200 rounds on one barrel and 130 on another without cleaning and all I can say is that the rifle is absolutely consistent. My cold bore is right in the same place as the rest of the group. A cold clean bore is a different story and things come back in line after several fouling shots and then they remain that way until the next cleaning.

Try not cleaning your barrel at all for a few outings, see if it stays more consistent. There's no need to clean it every time you bring it home. You should be able to go several hundred rounds before you need a good cleaning.

For example, on my AI I'm at 200 rounds on one barrel and 130 on another without cleaning and all I can say is that the rifle is absolutely consistent. My cold bore is right in the same place as the rest of the group. A cold clean bore is a different story and things come back in line after several fouling shots and then they remain that way until the next cleaning.

I am going on 10 months without cleaning the copper. I clean for carbon somewhere around 300 rounds. I am running a .308 and shooting shorter distances. The OP is firing hotter rounds so that may necessitate him cleaning for carbon around every 150 to 200 rounds, but leave the copper and you will be pleasantly surprised how much more consistent your groups get. Track your round count so that you can start building an estimate of when you will need to clean for carbon and then copper remediation they will be on different cycles.