Cold air mirage - is it real?

NamibHunter

Desert hunter
Minuteman
Dec 26, 2018
Is cold air mirage real? My son-in-law and his shooting buddies have convinced me it is...

He is part of a group of friends who live in Namibia and hunt springbuck a few times a year, where the distances are sometimes beyond 1000 meters. Chalk pans are dry shallow lakes that fill up once or twice a year after the heavy rains, but most of the year, it is just empty, so you have good visibility and long shots are possible. The springbuck like the better quality grass that grows in and around the chalky deposits (apparently it is more nutritious, and it tastes better!), so early in the morning that’s where they are heading to eat the new growth. We show up before 5 am, get set up prone, and wait for the sun to come up. Eventually a group of 5 to 15 would wander across the pan, we range the distance, run the ballistics, and everybody in the group picks a different one, then count down from 3 to 1, and fire. The 338 and 375 rifles do the best beyond 1200 meters (1,150 yards), but the 6, 6.5 and 7 mm do very well if you are lucky enough to encounter springbuck at the shorter distances.

Getting good accuracy is a challenge in winter that time of the day, as there is an inversion layer (that trapped dust and smoke below it all night) and that eventually flips over, then it suddenly gets cold for 15 minutes, and then goes back to normal again.

We have run the experiment the day before the hunt where you shoot two shots at paper at a time, at 1000 m, and the bullet holes are often side by side, so the load and the gun is good, then wait 10 minutes and do it again. The point of impact walks out 9-12” at an angle related to wind direction, with the two holes still close to each other, then the shots walk back to the starting point. After an hour or so, you are back exactly at the original starting point. Wind speed is usually low (1-5 mph range).

Is this an instance of cold air mirage shifting the sight picture? Or air an downdraught pushing the bullet down?

I never realized stacked cold air layers could also cause mirage. I guess the physics says it must do that if there is a reversed density gradient.

Have you guys experienced this when shooting during the 30 minutes of dusk when the sun comes up? Are we seeing ghosts?

[There is one theory that cold air mirage caused the Titanic crew not to see the ice berg. The ice berg image apparently/allegedly disappeared below the horizon, making it invisible from afar. Opposite effect of a car in the distance appearing to hovering higher than the horizon when you drive on hot tarmac in Arizona on a baking summers day... But who knows what really happened!]

Last edited:
“Many wonder if they are just imagining that post-sunrise cool down, but it does occur often… especially on a clear calm morning. Here’s how it works. Because of radiational cooling, on clear nights the ground gets much colder than the air just a few feet above it. Since thermometers are placed about five feet above the ground, it will show a warmer temperature than the air touching the ground. Once the sun comes up, the sunlight excites the cold air in the first foot or so above the ground (which can be 10 or more degrees colder), which causes it to move around and mix into the next several feet of air. That “mixing upward” drops the temperature of the air at thermometer level”

With air moving up ward and cooler air at that it could very well be a mirage but also is updraft and colder more dense air that’s heating up. This makes that area 3-10’ off the ground rather violent swirling and changing which will bend light. At 1000 our bullets go through this layer, then pass through a warmer area, and then drop in to this layer again.

Last edited:
Thanks guys, makes sense. Appreciate the detailed info!

Not much experience shooting in the snow... Namibia gets snow once in 35 years. Houston TX gets 1/4” of snow maybe every 2-3 years, and it never stays around for long.

In this game, you really never stop learning!

Last edited:
1) Can you see the mirage through your scope? I have seen mirage on cold days when the sun is heating the ground. Maybe I there is something I am missing here or don't understand. I've never experienced or heard of a mirage that is invisible through the scope, but still moves the target. I have heard of the angle of the sun having an effect on where a shooter perceives the target, but I understand that is primarily iron sights. I am interested in better understanding when a mirage may be present but it can no be perceived visually.

2) If you are getting horizontal and vertical displacement at 1000 yards when the air inverts and you have wind, did you account for aerodynamic jump causing vertical displacement? You didn't say the angle of the impacts from original POA/POI vs. the altered POI. Also, you don't give vertical and horizontal component of the 9-12 inch movement. At extended ranges, I know Applied Ballistics changes elevation depending on the wind angle.

3) If the air is inverting, hot air going up and cold air going down, the wind can naturally have a vertical component in some places. Depending on the land features, you could be shooting into an updraft.

If I were not seeing the mirage, then I would initially attribute the change to the wind. I haven't been shooting long range that long, but
I'm curious about all the things that could be explanations for the phenomena you are experiencing. I wonder if there is an effect that creates an invisible mirage. I suppose there could be a situation where light could be bent, but not in the wavy "mirage" I think of.

1) Can you see the mirage through your scope? I have seen mirage on cold days when the sun is heating the ground. Maybe I there is something I am missing here or don't understand. I've never experienced or heard of a mirage that is invisible through the scope, but still moves the target. I have heard of the angle of the sun having an effect on where a shooter perceives the target, but I understand that is primarily iron sights. I am interested in better understanding when a mirage may be present but it can no be perceived visually.

2) If you are getting horizontal and vertical displacement at 1000 yards when the air inverts and you have wind, did you account for aerodynamic jump causing vertical displacement? You didn't say the angle of the impacts from original POA/POI vs. the altered POI. Also, you don't give vertical and horizontal component of the 9-12 inch movement. At extended ranges, I know Applied Ballistics changes elevation depending on the wind angle.

3) If the air is inverting, hot air going up and cold air going down, the wind can naturally have a vertical component in some places. Depending on the land features, you could be shooting into an updraft.

If I were not seeing the mirage, then I would initially attribute the change to the wind. I haven't been shooting long range that long, but
I'm curious about all the things that could be explanations for the phenomena you are experiencing. I wonder if there is an effect that creates an invisible mirage. I suppose there could be a situation where light could be bent, but not in the wavy "mirage" I think of.

We do these friendly shooting competitions so early in the morning (at first light) that visibility is still quite poor, so there could ve a wavy pattern to the mirage, but not sure you will see it clearly enough.

Vertical component to the down draft is very possible. Might need to put up streamers and see if they have a vertical component to them. We are now using the old CAT bulldozer to push open a 1,100 yard range across one of the larger pans. Might be worth instrumenting this range, with wind flags that indicate wind speed, direction and vertical flow. Maybe put the GoPro camera on one close to the target. Could just learn something interesting.

Last edited:

Yes, there is mirage you cannot see. One persistent example I'm intimately familiar with:

Previously shooting from a finger ridge down into a well lit canyon, at 800 yards rounds were impacting a 12" steel with boring regularity. Not just one rifle, but multiple rifles from 8 different students...

Returning to the same point and target 4 hours later, the canyon is in shadow and the sun low on the horizon...all rifles now shooting 0.8 mils high on average.

DA changed very little, it was all light effect.

This was the example used in every class to convince shooters the effect actually exists. And also to show them why they shouldn't automatically start finger fucking their apps and devices to see why they missed.

Mirage is merely roiled air. This occurs whenever there is a significant temperature gradient over a very short distance. This can definitely occur in the coldest temperatures. What matters is not the temp itself, but the gradient that must exist.

That's right. The physics part of it relates to the variation of the index of refraction with air temperature. Cold air is denser and has a higher refractive index than hot air . Light traveling close to the hot ground is bent upwards more than in the colder air above. That creates the mirage distortion. But as you say, the gradient in temperature is the key. Likewise, pressure gradients in moving air create zones of varying indices of refraction.

Last edited:
Reactions: hereinaz
Yes, there is mirage you cannot see. One persistent example I'm intimately familiar with:

Previously shooting from a finger ridge down into a well lit canyon, at 800 yards rounds were impacting a 12" steel with boring regularity. Not just one rifle, but multiple rifles from 8 different students...

Returning to the same point and target 4 hours later, the canyon is in shadow and the sun low on the horizon...all rifles now shooting 0.8 mils high on average.

DA changed very little, it was all light effect.

This was the example used in every class to convince shooters the effect actually exists. And also to show them why they shouldn't automatically start finger fucking their apps and devices to see why they missed.

I definitely believe that shifts happen. My question is whether it is the roiled air, which is the mirage we see.

Or, whether what you are seeing is due to some other optical phenomenon.

Maybe I am using too narrow a definition of mirage. But I am using mirage in terms of the shimmer we see distorting the light. I am ignorant maybe of the terms and descriptions. Sorry, still learning, thanks for the help.

Is there something else going on that is due to light bending through air, that is different than the shimmer?

could it be Snell's law causing this?

Mirage has some common principles with Snell's Law, but it's not identical. Snell's Law pertains to the change in the speed of light (and the related bending) when a photon passes from one substance to another. You can think of hot and cold air in that light, in that the temperature-derived change in index of refraction causes the bend distortion, but air tends to form temperature gradients as opposed to tightly defined zones. Air mixes, even at the interface of an inversion.

Snell's Law should have been named Sahl's Law. Ibn Sahl was a Persian scientist that first wrote about the phenomenon in AD 984. Snellias didn't fiddle with it until about 1600.

Is there something else going on that is due to light bending through air, that is different than the shimmer?

I'm not sure if this is what you are after, but remember heat rises. Outdoors, the rising heat is usually not totally uniform because of a bunch of contributing factors, such as the surface of the ground not being uniform, lateral air movement not being uniform, heating from the sun not being uniform. Out in the real world, this can add to the perception of shimmer. The heat gradient is tied to air movement since hot air rises, so the non-uniform heat equals non-uniform air currents.

Last edited:
Mirages and other optical illusions occur in the Arctic because of special atmospheric conditions that bend light. A superior mirage occurs when an image of an object appears above the actual object. Superior mirages sometimes appear in the Arctic because of the weather condition known as a temperature inversion, where cold air lies close to the ground with warmer air above it. Since cold air is denser than warm air, it bends light towards the eyes of someone standing on the ground, changing how a distant object appears.

I definitely believe that shifts happen. My question is whether it is the roiled air, which is the mirage we see.

Or, whether what you are seeing is due to some other optical phenomenon.

Maybe I am using too narrow a definition of mirage. But I am using mirage in terms of the shimmer we see distorting the light. I am ignorant maybe of the terms and descriptions. Sorry, still learning, thanks for the help.

It is all refraction, the same way a lake and a river are both water.

The effect depends on the form it takes in that specific instance.

A couple of weekends ago, we took a long weekend to shoot ELR. Night time lows were low 20's. On the second morning, we had very still conditions before sunrise while hanging steel. By sunrise, temps were upper 20's and ~ 3 knots at 90 degrees. Maybe because there had been a couple of nights of snow that cleaned the air, but I've never seen so well through our spotting scope and rifle scopes at that distance. The mirage was crystal clear and was made of tiny little waves that didn't interfere with image clarity. After shooting 10 rounds, my son went out to mark the hits. By then, conditions were totally still and mirage was gone. I could see blades of grass clearly. Amazing conditions and clarity. I don't think we saw over 5 knots peak all day. By one hour after sunrise, mirage looked normal.

Reactions: jasent
Very interesting! I need to gain more experience shooting in snow.

Could you see a change in point of impact (vertical) as the mirage increased in severity?
The shimmer moves the image with it. It will be left, right, low or high. You need to decide what part of the bounce is home. Usually, it is in the direction the wind or boil originated.

it is exactly the same as in the heat. The difference is, generally in winter the ground and air have less of a gradient so shimmer is less apparent.

it is all about temp gradients and elevations to the source that generates the most temp differential.

ie..flat across long range is worse than across a cannon, up or down a hill is worse than across the cannon but better than flat; prone across flat is way worse than shooting from a bench.. etc

All great and informative information above, but, if you’re shooting in legitimate cold weather, and you’ve already sent a round or two, don’t leave out barrel heat mirage. Everything is bueno for the first couple, then your getting weird mirage on a flat grey overcast day at 5 degrees... Wait a few minutes, and that goes away. Just something to think about.

Fair point!

I see the BR folks use detachable mirage shields, basically just a flat piece of plastic attached indirectly to the barrel via Velcro squares.

Does that work well enough? Any better ways to handle it?

I sometimes hear guys at the shooting range say that after 5 rounds their pencil barrel hunting rifles start to “walk” the point of impact out. Presumably upward.

But i wonder if this is a mechanical effect (recoil lug expanding and gripping the stock differently, or the barrel bending due to residual stresses, and therefore vibrating differently, or the pressure pulse running down the barrel changing speed or amount due to temp change, or some other weird and wonderful mechanism.... or is it simply mirage caused by a hot barrel? Pencil barrels heat up real quick!

Would be fascinating to run an experiment on such a rifle with and without a mirage shield, or with and without forced cooling (i used a high capacity fan for a while, designed for dealing with inflatable camping mattresses, with the air flowing through the inside of the barrel)...

[The oh so cheap made-in-china rechargeable lithium battery powered fan died within 4 week-ends, it just cannot handle that many hours of operation. Looking for a better idea now!]

Last edited:
Walking barrels is a bi-product of non-concentric bores and/or residual stress in the barrel. It fairly well known, no need to test. There are several ways to make a much more resistant pencil barrel, mainly one of several forms of stress relieving and very concentric machining; but you high volume cheap factory rifles arn't going to be one of them.

Lastly.. people kinda need to try to understand shimmer vrs mirage.. Heat shimmer from the barrel or the ground/air are really not either form of classic mirage..

Barrel shimmer issue? While on glass and about ready to take the shot, blow hard out your mouth below the scope, next to the rings down & over the top/side or the barrel.. You'll be surprised how much it will clear up. But take the shot quickly before it comes back.

Last edited:
  • Haha
Reactions: seansmd
Good tip, thanks much!

Is a “mirage screen”, (similar to what BR competitors run) useful on a target rifle to reduce shimmer? [Have never seen n PRS competitor using one, although there might be the odd exception. I recall some F class competitors using it.]

On a hunting rifle, you expect to need only one shot, and maybe a follow-up shot, so no benefit in hunting applications (and it will get torn off pretty quick by low hanging tree branches, so don’t see that as too practical either)... I guess it might help for the annual practice session just before deer season opens up...

Last edited:
Is a “mirage screen”, (similar to what BR competitors run) useful on a target rifle to reduce shimmer? [Have never seen n PRS competitor using one, although there might be the odd exception. I recall some F class competitors using it.]

Yes it is. Except for hunting rifles I always use one when shooting groups. A simple piece of target paper works. Just tape it to the barrel. I'll add it has no affect on accuracy.

Yes it is. Except for hunting rifles I always use one when shooting groups. A simple piece of target paper works. Just tape it to the barrel. I'll add it has no affect on accuracy.

Thank you for the reply sir.

OK, going to try it on my new MPA comp rifle and see what it can do for the accuracy of my 100 yard groups.

Current agg is around 0.4”, and hoping for 0.3” or below, but a lot of that is me still getting used to a left handed chassis gun. Shot a right handed HS Precision fibreglass stock before, but have to shoot left handed. Left eye dominant and after 45 eye sight ain’t what it used to be. So still dealing with “Form” issues.

BTW: Houston TX can get pretty hot mid summer and that makes it more difficult for the barrel to cool down... so i expect most of the benefits to show up in summer time.

Any experience how much a mirage screen improves 100 yard groups when shooting a hot barrel?

Last edited:
All it does is make it possible to shoot.
Barrel cooling trick I've used for 40 years.
Go to a auto parts store and get a red rubber bulb with a snout on it. It's used for putting acid in car batteries. For my new one I used a piece of waterline from an ice maker instal to extend the snout. Suck up ice water and dribble it down the barrel with the muzzle down. I run half of it with the scope at 3 o'clock. The other half with the scope at 9 o'clock. Push a patch down the barrel, wipe out the chamber and go back to shooting.