• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Cracked Sphur Mount

mikeblake

Sergeant of the Hide
Minuteman
Oct 10, 2023
Nevada
Anyone else ever experience a Sphur mount cracking? I have one on another rifle no issues, This is on an LMT MARS in 6.5
20240808_230928.jpg

Yeah? Will Mile High send out spares so folks are not down when this happens?

This is a known issue that should be fixed or they should include a spare with purchase.

Either way, I have purchased my last “Sphur” anything. Too many other better options right here on this side of the Atlantic.

Far too common at this price point. There are so many great optics mounts these days that don't have this problem and cost half as much. I can see it with the older original design, everyone makes mistakes that don't show up till down the road in a product, but we're also seeing the redesigned plates crack now.

That said some mounts have taken a huge price increase lately. Less than 6 months ago I bought NF Unimounts and Seekins MXM's for under $190. They are now both over $260 most places.

Last edited:
Yeah? Will Mile High send out spares so folks are not down when this happens?

This is a known issue that should be fixed or they should include a spare with purchase.

Either way, I have purchased my last “Sphur” anything. Too many other better options right here on this side of the Atlantic.

Thhey did either do a redesign or identify the material issue. Either way it’s far too premium of a price to have this issue when $120 Chinese options have never even failed like this.

That said - badger comm were my replacements and I’ve been very happy

I have had like a dozen spuhrs. I have like 8 right now and 3 of them get swaped around a few times a month for years now. Everytime they are torqued to 25lbs with a t20. Borka or fix it sticks.I have never once had them crack or any issue. I would bet I take them off an retoque more than 98% of spuhr owners.

I still think it's a user/over torque issue. People using garbage torque devices like a fat wrench or not knowing difference between a in and ft lb. I would have had it happen a few times now if they were all as defective as people make out.

I have had like a dozen spuhrs. I have like 8 right now and 3 of them get swaped around a few times a month for years now. Everytime they are torqued to 25lbs with a t20. Borka or fix it sticks.I have never once had them crack or any issue. I would bet I take them off an retoque more than 98% of spuhr owners.

I still think it's a user/over torque issue. People using garbage torque devices like a fat wrench or not knowing difference between a in and ft lb. I would have had it happen a few times now if they were all as defective as people make out.
If that’s inch pounds then you’re way under manufacturer spec…

1723327258902.png

Reactions: Baron23

This is the dumbest theory. Assuming there is the same % of overtorqued mounts across all brands, how come none of the others crack?

I say this as someone with a pile of Spuhr mounts.

Given how frequently it seems to happen, it seems to be a design issue.

It shouldn't be designed in a manner in which easy mistakes (if they are that) can cause such a serious failure.

Reactions: RRW and BurtG

They literally crack while sitting in the safe.

Like 98 percent of things you post. Wrong

Their spec is 45 inch lbs. Mine cracked well before that when tightening. If it was only user error you’d see many more mounts with issues here. Mile High wasn’t remotely surprised when I called for a replacement.

If you’re torquing to 25 then you likely won’t have issues

Reactions: Steel+Killer
Gota be smarter than the engineers. 45lb lbs is a fuck load...especially considering action screws which are way bigger and holding much more weight/mass are like 55lbs. You don't need anywhere near that.

15 on the caps 25 on the rail fastners.

Gota be smarter than the engineers. 45lb lbs is a fuck load...especially considering action screws which are way bigger and holding much more weight/mass are like 55lbs. You don't need anywhere near that.

It's a poor design if the consumers have to do their own engineering.

DE92C5F3-AE5D-47A6-9CA4-29F92D9705F9.gif
5AEDB8B7-DC00-43C4-9670-986D3915B821.gif

57818398-5F30-4458-8A0A-A331B634BBFC.jpeg

How many these almost perfection NF mounts y’all hear cracking ?

I’m still confused

If a scope mount just snapped over a receiver and a scope just snapped into the scope mount and a retard could get it running then it would be a consumer item.

Ammo is a consumer item. A gun is a consumer item. But a scope mount is a gunsmith item. You need tools to install it and you can’t just slap it on.

T-minus 3 minutes until the “you don’t know how to use a torque wrench” boys come to defend spuhr over this known defect.
Well Maury...it took it bit longer than 3 minutes but....there it is. lol

If a scope mount just snapped over a receiver and a scope just snapped into the scope mount and a retard could get it running then it would be a consumer item.

Ammo is a consumer item. A gun is a consumer item. But a scope mount is a gunsmith item. You need tools to install it and you can’t just slap it on.
So all those QD mounts are the exception to the “consumer” rule I reckon. No tools required to snap it over a receiver as you say

A gun is a consumer item.
But we might as well scratch that item from your approved list of consumer items as there is currently a thread on how to properly work the safety on a bolt action rifle.

When they have to teach people how to load a magazine so the pointy part goes forward, do we take ammo or the magazine off the consumer item list?

See how I’m confused about shit

Anything that requires specialized knowledge in order to be used is not a consumer item. Anything that requires the end user to pay attention to the sequence and torque values of fasteners is not a consumer item.
Had to look the definition up, funny it don’t mention nuffin about “special” tools or knowledge????

I’m still confused

consumer good, in economics, any tangible commodity produced and subsequently purchased to satisfy the current wants and perceived needs of the buyer.

Anything that requires specialized knowledge in order to be used is not a consumer item. Anything that requires the end user to pay attention to the sequence and torque values of fasteners is not a consumer item.

Oh okay gotcha.

So unlike other scope mounts, Spuhrs require an SME in order to mount correctly.

That's certainly a selling point..

No it’s not silly or ridiculous. I have a dozen Spuhrs. Not one has cracked.

Yes all the people in this thread and that thread just don’t know how to use a scope mount.