• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Dave the Wonder Dog

Sgt. 0811

Sergeant
Minuteman
Nov 22, 2005
Aurora, CO
I met Dave in the summer of 1997 in a small town called Manzanola Colorado. He was 6 weeks old when he stumbled up to me. Although, I had already picked another Border Collie from the litter 2 weeks prior this little puppy would not leave me alone. I asked the breeders if I could take him instead. The Breeders looked at each other in shock since the pup I had picked out prior had perfect markings and traits and the playful puppy that would not leave me alone was far from ideal. You see, Dave was born with a massive overbite and was a split embryo so his markings were only on half his body. The breeders happily agreed. Although he was very young Dave almost immediately learned his name. He was fully house broken within a few weeks.
His overbite became one of his best traits most of the time it looked like he was sticking his tongue out at you.
I spent every moment I could while raising Dave. I started noticing his incredible intelligence when he was still a puppy.

(One of my favorite stories that highlights is intelligence) When Dave was only a few months old I kept finding my socks all over the house I kept figuring he was getting them out of the laundry and although I kept telling him "bad" the socks kept appearing on the floor. One day I was in the bedroom's bathroom with the door cracked and I heard the bedroom door open, curious, I peeked out. I watched in awe as young Dave walked in, walked to the dresser and pulled open the sock drawer. What happened next was devious. He retrieved a bundle of socks, laid them on the floor and closed the drawer... I was stunned, he knew it was bad, and how to cover his tracks. To this day I still get chills when I think of it.

Soon, I had to move back home. Dave came with me. Dave found my parents house, home. Shortly after when I got a new place Dave came to see it, instantly he realized the 700 sq. ft. ranch with no AC was no place for him. I understood.

Dave and my Father had already began to bond. Plus my Dad was able to spend twice the time with him that I ever could. My Dad took Dave everywhere with him. The enjoyed getting lunch at the local burger joint, and ice cream on special and not so special occasions. Dave stayed by my Dads side as he recovered from heart surgery a few years ago.

Another odd trait that some dogs have but not many is, and everyone knows that ever met Dave, is Dave loved watching television. At first it seemed as if he was attracted to the motion but as my Mom and Dad can confirm is Dave would recognize certain programs, commercials or parts of movies and run from other rooms to sit and watch. His favorites were "Finding Forester" and "Notting Hill". He loved sports too. Tennis was fascinating to him, basketball and football too. During football games Dave would mull around during the huddle and as the players would get to the line, Dave would sit intensely and as the players hiked the ball Dave would spring up and run around and grab a toy as if he were playing. This process would repeat throughout the game. Dave was such a sports fan it was hard to find him without his basketball which he would push around the house.
Soon, I had to move back home. Dave came with me. Dave found my parents house, home. Shortly after when I got a new place Dave came to see it, instantly he realized the 700 sq. ft. ranch with no AC was no place for him. I understood.

My parents neighbors all knew Dave because everyday the two of them would sit in front of the house. Dave would never be on a leash but would never leave the confines of the front yard regardless of passing dogs, passing people, playing children or anything out of the normal.

Over the past few days, Dave's energy began to deplete. We learned yesterday that his body was riddled with tumors that were constricting his heart and liver. We decided the best thing for him was to put him down peacefully. Dave the wonder dog died in my arms on this day, 01-22-10 at 11:11 am. Dave was more than a dog he was an anomaly, a prodigy, he was my family, he was my hero and one of my greatest friends.

I will miss him always, and love him forever.
dave001.jpg

Re: Dave the Wonder Dog

I feel for you. A good dog is like a soul mate. They live on in our hearts. Keep your chin up.

God loves dogs so much he made them so they don't out live their owners.

R.I.P. Dave. Unfortunately I know all too well the pain you are feeling. There is not a day that goes by where I do not miss my boys BJ & Lucas. I pray that we all get to cross the "Rainbow Bridge" to be reacquainted with our kids, never to be seperated from them again. Sorry for your loss. Steve.

Sorry for your loss. I too know how you feel as I have lost a special companion. I have a friend that had to put his hound dog down today. May Dave and Roscoe rest in God's arms.

You (by all means) did the right thing. Hanging on to him for you would have been selfish. You had to make the best decision for him.

Tough to think about... I had to make that same decision with my wife's dog that she brought over from her 1st marriage. She couldn't do it and waited too long. I hated to see the dog get that sick and she couldn't let go. Wow... never lose those feelings. RIP - Brandi.

Sorry for your loss.

Dave - please stop by and see:

Lady, Boomer, Justa, Rip, Pard (German Shepherds)
Bogger & Chewela (Old English Sheep dogs)
Solo & Sugar (Beagles - mom and daughter)
...and Pester the cat.

I mourn the death of any dog more then all but the closest people to me.

I'm comforted by the fact that all my K9 friends and co-workers who have died in my lifetime will one day join me in my rest.

My heart goes out to you.

<span style="font-style: italic">He is my other eyes that can see above the clouds; my other ears that hear above the winds. He is the part of me that can reach out into the sea. He has told me a thousand times over that I am his reason for being; by the way he rests against my leg; by the way he thumps his tail at my smallest smile; by the way he shows his hurt when I leave without taking him. (I think it makes him sick with worry when he is not along to care for me.) When I am wrong, he is delighted to forgive. When I am angry, he clowns to make me smile. When I am happy, he is joy unbounded. When I am a fool, he ignores it. When I succeed, he brags. Without him, I am only another man. With him, I am all-powerful. He is loyalty itself. He has taught me the meaning of devotion. With him, I know a secret comfort and a private peace. He has brought me understanding where before I was ignorant. His head on my knee can heal my human hurts. His presence by my side is protection against my fears of dark and unknown things. He has promised to wait for me... whenever... wherever - in case I need him. And I expect I will - as I always have. He is just my dog. - Gene Hill</span>

Sorry for your loss.

Rainbow Bridge

Just this side of heaven is a place called Rainbow Bridge.

When an animal dies that has been especially close to someone here, that pet goes to Rainbow Bridge.
There are meadows and hills for all of our special friends so they can run and play together.
There is plenty of food, water and sunshine, and our friends are warm and comfortable.

All the animals who had been ill and old are restored to health and vigor; those who were hurt or maimed are made whole and strong again, just as we remember them in our dreams of days and times gone by.
The animals are happy and content, except for one small thing; they each miss someone very special to them, who had to be left behind.

They all run and play together, but the day comes when one suddenly stops and looks into the distance. His bright eyes are intent; His eager body quivers. Suddenly he begins to run from the group, flying over the green grass, his legs carrying him faster and faster.

You have been spotted, and when you and your special friend finally meet, you cling together in joyous reunion, never to be parted again. The happy kisses rain upon your face; your hands again caress the beloved head, and you look once more into the trusting eyes of your pet, so long gone from your life but never absent from your heart.

Then you cross Rainbow Bridge together....

Author unknown...