• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Did I anneal my brass?

frame12

Private
Minuteman
Jan 10, 2024
PacNW
I put some brass in the toaster oven on 150 degrees for 30 min to dry them, let them cool for 30 min.
When I pulled them out they had a purple tint to them. Thinking the toaster over gave them full heat for 30 min. Possibly somewhere above 400 degrees.

Are they toast?

I put some brass in the toaster oven on 150 degrees for 30 min to dry them, let them cool for 30 min.
When I pulled them out they had a purple tint to them. Thinking the toaster over gave them full heat for 30 min. Possibly somewhere above 400 degrees.

Are they toast?
How much annealing occurs is a function of amount of heat + amount of time. 150°F for 30 min. isn't going to do much, if anything. You're good to go. 400ºF for 30 min. will make some change, but not likely enough to be of concern. . . though I'd recommend not doing that.

The color you observed has nothing to do with the annealing. It has to do with the brass not be totally clean, like residual sizing lube and/or whatever cleaning fluid might have been used. You can test this by taking a piece of brass and cleaning it thoroughly by hand with some steel wool and you'll see it won't turn color when heated. Here's an example of a case that I did that with and heated more than twice as long as I normally do for my flame annealing (like the neck was bright red glow for a few seconds):
Over annealed after steel wool.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Fig and frame12
How hot they possibly got coukd depend on whether you preheated or put them while coils were red and heating the oven. In a 150 degree oven nothing should happen. I don't know how much heat the brass could have picked up if the coils were preheating the oven at the time.

He's worried the toaster oven may have malfunctioned and gave them max heat and annealed them. Which might be possible. (500+ Degrees)
Post a picture of the brass

Maybe all you guys ragging on him should learn to read.

He's worried the toaster oven may have malfunctioned and gave them max heat and annealed them. Which might be possible. (500+ Degrees)
Post a picture of the brass

Maybe all you guys ragging on him should learn to read.
Yeah I misread it

However I don’t think I’d ever put my brass in the oven under any circumstances