• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Divots in my grooves

take your bore scope......and throw it in the fucking trash.

for 99.99% of shooters, they are fucking useless.

if you have a good shooting barrel, how the lands and grooves look doesnt matter.

if you dont have a good shooting barrel, nothing you can see with a bore scope is going to make it shoot any better.....that one bit of copper fouling isnt fucking up your groups.....that one bit of carbon isnt fucking up your groups...

people see a small imperfection in the bore and think that is the cause of all their issues......its not.
Mine has come in handy. I'd still be scratching my head about the 556 barrel that went to hell. Not to mention, for those of us AR builders, borescopes are the bomb for lining up gas blocks. Beats the spaghetti method all day.

Mine has come in handy. I'd still be scratching my head about the 556 barrel that went to hell. Not to mention, for those of us AR builders, borescopes are the bomb for lining up gas blocks. Beats the spaghetti method all day.
I'm glad I have mine. I wish I'd had it when I first unboxed the Remington as a new rifle back in 2013. Then I'd have a frame of reference. At least I'd know how a factory Remington looks out of the box. Looking through the borescope again, in addition to the divots I posted about originally, I can also see what looks like pitting in a few places. Odd, since the gun was never stored outdoors or in humidity, but rather in a humidity-controlled gun safe. I've cleaned it at about 300-400 round intervals, but I really have no idea whether or not I got all the carbon out. But now, going forward, I know what's in there.

By comparison, I have a Criterion barrel in .223 Wylde on an AR15 that has about 400 rounds through it. Stored in the same place as the R700. The Criterion barrel is nearly perfect inside, with just a small amount of carbon near the throat.

With less than 1000 rounds on the Remington, it just surprises me that it's in this rough a condition.

Reactions: Ridge_Walker
Two things a borescope is good for with regard to 95% of shooters....

1.) A tool to verify cleaning methods.
2.) Lining up a gas block.

The most common misuse of a borescope...

Diagnosing problems that didn’t exist before one shoved a camera in in their barrel.
Yep, I use mine for cleaning and gas blocks. I also use them for tracking throat erosion, for looking at used units and even brand new barrel conditions. I keep one in my briefcase when I am on the road in case I need it away from home.

A bore scope doesn't find problems that aren't there. It shows the true condition to you, what the barrel's bore and throat's condition really are. Buy a new barrel and I scope it the day I get it.

Sure crappy barrels new and old, can shoot way better than they look through a scope. But I'm done buying pigs in a poke. Savages are notorious in that regard, they usually look like a blind chimpanzee did 'em, and but most still shoot pretty good. PIA to clean, but they shoot.

I bought a used rifle as a present, it shot ok from what I heard from the receiver. When I finally got it in my hands 6 mos later I barrel scoped it, and it was horrible. Never would have bought it if I had been there when they picked it, purchased, or even when they went to pick it up. Still it shoots ok, though now I know it's almost shot out.

Last edited:
Reactions: fxdrider
Could it be possible that we may be confusing imperfections with problems.? They are both imperfections; but problems are found by looking on the target, and not in the bore.

Greg
We've pretty much agreed that they are imperfections. Most have agreed bore scopes may help you find the cause of problems, but all imperfections do not cause problems. Many see the chief advantage in bore scopes as a tool, is to aid in cleaning, or simply to ascertain a barrels current condition. Most would even say that if a problem develops, the barrel is probably the last place to look, not the first.

Really the question is one of curiosity, what is their origin? If they are there when new in a custom barrel, or even in a M70 or Weatherby ect. I would just send it back. In a Tupperware clad factory rifle I would shrug and say 'Well that'll learn ya'. If they develop over time that is where the interest lays for me. It could be crappy steel or is it something preventable. Since being told years ago, and even later seeing it in print, that it was from beads of water or oil, I myself have made sure to not shoot with a wet barrel.

I am at the location where the rifle we have that has them is I think. I'll try to post those divots, if I am thinking of the right rifle.

Edit: I added 4 photos. 1&2 are the WTH? They certainly look different than the OP's divot. 3 is a corrosion pit & 4 is a gas port. The barrel is on a '63' M100 that was abused for decades before it was saved.

Attachments

• 20211103_072101.jpg
    20211103_072101.jpg
    61.4 KB · Views: 42
  • 20211103_072217.jpg
    20211103_072217.jpg
    60.9 KB · Views: 34
  • 20211103_071817.jpg
    20211103_071817.jpg
    73 KB · Views: 39
  • 20211103_071337.jpg
    20211103_071337.jpg