• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Do I really need a safety ?

RogueHk

Sergeant
Minuteman
Jan 5, 2012
ILLINOIS
Now before I state anything else let me say to all the safety sally's that <span style="font-weight: bold">I totally understand</span> why one might<span style="text-decoration: underline"> need </span>one. But I asked about buying a jackson trigger MOD 2 for left hand shooters and was told they don't make a left hand safety YET. Maybe later this year but not now.

So do any of you run the bolt on a empty chamber and then load a round when your ready to fire?

Re: Do I really need a safety ?

I don't use the safety on my Rem700's. They won't fire without a round in the chamber. It's pretty easy to check and pretty easy load when I want to.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cowboy_bravo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you don't use the safety run it with the bolt up until preparing to fire. </div></div>

That's what I do.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Phylodog</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I don't use the safety on my Rem700's. They won't fire without a round in the chamber. It's pretty easy to check and pretty easy load when I want to. </div></div>

I agree ..... although, I do keep a round in the chamber and I do use my safety when hunting. Any other time though ... like at the range. I almost never use it.

k260907_ThisIsMySafety.jpg

I haven't had a safety on my bolt guns since I discovered Jackson triggers a couple years ago. Apart from the cost savings, if it's not there I can't find myself falling into the habit of of relying on it for gun "safety." If you're not shooting, raise your bolt. It's simple.

Cold chamber is easy, for 99.9% of all situations, though I can think of a few that a hot chamber would be a little more handy. In those circumstances I doubt I'd be dicking around with a safety mechanism anyhow. Muzzle control trumps everything.

If you can't charge a weapon quickly when you need it charged quickly then you're fucked before you even start......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: bulzeye</div><div class="ubbcode-body">
k260907_ThisIsMySafety.jpg
</div></div>

One the operators had an AD in the hanger & was "sent home". So much for that.

I think, if any real discussion is to be had of this, it's important to keep the conversation within the context of a Rem700 type rifle. Talking about gas guns, or even Mauser type actions, is really apples to oranges.

You don't need a safety, unless the match rules require one, and some matches do require a functioning safety. Otherwise use Cover safe.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ratbert</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think, if any real discussion is to be had of this, it's important to keep the conversation within the context of a Rem700 type rifle. Talking about gas guns, or even Mauser type actions, is really apples to oranges.

</div></div>

Since you replied to me, don't make the assumption that I'm NOT talking mainly about 700's.......

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tripwire</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Ratbert</div><div class="ubbcode-body">I think, if any real discussion is to be had of this, it's important to keep the conversation within the context of a Rem700 type rifle. Talking about gas guns, or even Mauser type actions, is really apples to oranges.

</div></div>

Since you replied to me, don't make the assumption that I'm NOT talking mainly about 700's.......</div></div>

Nah, if I was talking directly to you I would have quoted you. It just seemed a salient point to throw out there.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: RemmyMaxhit</div><div class="ubbcode-body">seems at least on out bolt guns, safeties are there to meet certain rules and/or regulations.... </div></div>

No, you get a safety device to meet the demands of the corporate lawyer.

The human animal, in general, is too stupid to own one with it........

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: 204dogger</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cowboy_bravo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you don't use the safety run it with the bolt up until preparing to fire. </div></div>

That's what I do. </div></div>

+1

Had a few pms from cops on this site who indicated they were suprised I don't use a safety..... <span style="font-weight: bold">I do use a safety</span> If the bolt is down and I am not preparing to fire the safety is on and my thumb lives on the safety.

The bolt up method is an option for specific circumstances for me.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cowboy_bravo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Had a few pms from cops on this site who indicated they were suprised I don't use a safety..... <span style="font-weight: bold">I do use a safety</span> If the bolt is down and I am not preparing to fire the safety is on and my thumb lives on the safety.

The bolt up method is an option for specific circumstances for me. </div></div>

I would think "cops" would be more appreciative of muzzle control, and in my personal case cold chamber too, than someone's use of a "safety" device, or not.

Wierd......with all the criminals running around doing criminal stuff, some "cops" would have the time to dole out a gratuitous lecture.

Tell 'em to mind their own damn business and worry about the people breaking the law, you're not one of 'em........

If any comps you participate in require one then yes. If they do not then you do not.

I have a 700 tube gun. I am also left hand and there is no way to use a standard 700 safety in this rifle. It was a high power rifle by design and while I do hunt with this rifle also I just make sure when I am not ready to shoot I do not have a round in the chamber.

If I am hunting with any of my other 700’s I always have a round in the chamber and the safety on. As always watch where that muzzle is pointing.

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: Tripwire</div><div class="ubbcode-body"><div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: cowboy_bravo</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Had a few pms from cops on this site who indicated they were suprised I don't use a safety..... <span style="font-weight: bold">I do use a safety</span> If the bolt is down and I am not preparing to fire the safety is on and my thumb lives on the safety.

The bolt up method is an option for specific circumstances for me. </div></div>

I would think "cops" would be more appreciative of muzzle control, and in my personal case cold chamber too, than someone's use of a "safety" device, or not.

Wierd......with all the criminals running around doing criminal stuff, some "cops" would have the time to dole out a gratuitous lecture.

Tell 'em to mind their own damn business and worry about the people breaking the law, you're not one of 'em........ </div></div>

Tripwire, Cops are a funny group, especially LE snipers. I don't lose sleep over it I just wanted to make clear what I do and what I advocate.... since I run in the LE circle.

The Rem 700 accidental discharge issue that I linked-to above is probably not related to the safety itself - it's that under certain conditions the safety fires the rifle due to the design of the trigger. If so, then without even using the safety the rifle could, under some circumstances, fire when the bolt was rotated.

I've heard it said that some LE rifles were designed so that the bolt could be run with the safety on. This makes sense, for example look at the AE vs the AW bolt design, but I don't design rifles and have no information regarding whether or not this is true. Perhaps Tom or Dave could chime-in on this one.

Of the departments that I have trained with over the past year: One used the safety all the time on their R700s, but no one on the team could explain to me why they do that; the other used the safety and also kept the bolt open and a round out of the chamber until ready to fire (Think: Hot rifle from a car, outside deployment in a the blowing winter snow, wet chamber and frozen bolt); and the third didn't use the safety - it was bolt up until the entry team passed-by.

I am not advocating a specific method, what I am saying is that it is important to have a policy that makes sense and to be able to articulate why it is in place. Because I know of some departments, with inexperienced training staffs, that make policy based on what they read on the internet. Doing that is at best comical and at worst dangerous.

For example, I have seen policy which mandates that no white T-shirts be worn on duty in order to avoid the 'Triangle of Death' (an internet rumor that has surfaced three times since 1995 - the most recent version being that gang members are 'training' to shoot officers in the patch of white visible above the vest). Of course, mandating the color of a patrolman's undergarments probably doesn't put him in any more danger than he was in before. On the other hand, I have seen departments that have no objective standards of selection, training or qualification for their tactical teams - which makes it only a matter of time before an innocent person gets seriously injured or killed.

I cant do all the tech stuff,and rules for different classes.
I can tell you what I have and still use and have never had any problem. I have aftermarket triggers in all my rifles for long range shooting ,all have a safety and I dont use them at all.
I shoot off a bench or the ground and load every round by hand and not out of the mag. My triggers are set around 6 to 8 oz's
and you should not have a finger around the trigger till it is time to shoot. I have never had issue yet . But I still like to have the lever if I want to flip it

If you follow the 4 rules of gun safety, then whether or not you use it or have one makes zero difference.

Revolvers have no safety, nor do Glocks. There are a bunch of guns that wont let you put the safety on unless you run the bolt anyway.

LD

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LawDog101</div><div class="ubbcode-body">Revolvers have no safety, nor do Glocks.</div></div>Are you sure?
wink.gif

<div class="ubbcode-block"><div class="ubbcode-header">Originally Posted By: LawDog101</div><div class="ubbcode-body">If you follow the 4 rules of gun safety, then whether or not you use it or have one makes zero difference.

Revolvers have no safety, nor do Glocks. There are a bunch of guns that wont let you put the safety on unless you run the bolt anyway.

LD </div></div>

Sorry, mate, Glocks have 3 safeties.

But back to the meat: does the safety on REM700s lock the bolt closed? On my rifle (TRG) id does and that is a good option, even on an empty chamber.

Ok, let me clarify, Glocks and Revolvers normally do not have a common safety (button type) like we see on a rifle, AR, shotgun, etc. Forgive my lack of clarity.

LD

Any kind of competition movement in condition one (round in chamber/bolt closed) would deffinately warrant a safety. It wouldnt take much to convince me if you dropped a rifle flat on its side in a harvested field, some stalk/plant matter could land itself inside your trigger guard and who knows....

While on any kind of range in my off-time, Im almost never loaded until I'm behind the rifle anyways.

So cops don't get days off and such to have time to be on the internet? I'm not sure why it would be any thing different here than any other.....nobody likes a cop until they need one, then all they wanna do is try to tell us how to do our job! Thanks CSI!