• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Don't know what to get!!

Aussie game hunter2014

Private
Minuteman
Apr 2, 2014
ButtfukNSW
Hi guys

I'm tossing up wether to get the tikka t3 super varmint in 22-250 or just get a rifle custom made? I'm thinking rem 700 action, jewell trigger, heavy barrell and rem 700 stock if anyone had any ideas on what would be more appropriate... Let me know! I'm shooting anywhere from 100m to 500m hunting Aussie game!!

I have a T3 Super varmint in .223 with the 1 in 8 twist and I love it. Mine also came with a threaded 20" barrel from the factory so it's a pretty handy little package. I'm waiting to get my hands on a KRG x ray for it now. Since I'm getting a new stock I think my money would have been better spent on a regular T3 Varmint and a 3rd party rail as the difference between the Stainless Varmint and the super varmint is only the adjustable stock, a 0 moa rail, and a few hundred $$.

Get the Tikka my last hunting rifle was a Tikka T3 Super Varmint in 6.5x55 and was a great rifle. There aren't that many good gunsmiths in Australia and getting a rifle built here is a long drawn out pain in the A$$. The decent ones are still going to be a LONG wait to get completed. For what you're using it for i'd go the Tikka although I would consider a different cartridge if you you're going after some of the larger animals and not just varmint sized stuff

Hi guys

Thx for the tips, and yea I'm mostly shooting roos, foxes, pigs, goats and most Aussie ferals. And we get meat off most them so I don't really want to blow them up much! I've shot a 250 and I liked it better than a 223 although I do like 223:) I have a browning a-bolt stainless stalker in 223 and it's alright for 150-200 but I used my mates custom 223 and I was shooting roos in the head at 300 YDS no worries so my concern is weather ill be able to get that kind of accuracy out of a factory rifle.

We get the Sako 85 varmint fluted stainless with walnut stock here in Aus (I think it's an aussie only special) I've got one in 22-250, lovely rifle, definitely worth the extra coin over the Tikka.

WP_20130217_007.jpg

I've also got a Tikka Super Varmint, and a few rem700 clone customs (pierce, stiller). Sako is my pick because they're well priced for what you get, love my customs as well but they're built for other things and cost twice the price of the Sako. You won't need what you get out of a custom for shooting the game you are at the ranges you do.

All will be capable of headshooting roos at 300m... not that that's legal... ;)

Last edited:
Ahhahah nice rifle mate I've been checking all the things out that I would need for a custom rifle and the barrell is $900, jewell trigger close to $300, rem $700 camo stock $150, action $400 but I wouldn't mind the money. And the things I've been hearing bout the super varmint it's really not that bad, sako barell good trigger pretty nice:)

I'd go with the Tikka too if it is truly a 1:8 twist. If you hand load you can run the big 80g Hornady Amax which is a fantastic bullet for the 22-250. I ran it in a 26" McGowen 1:8 twist in a Savage with excellent results. In Lapua brass over 34g of Alliant Power Pro 2000MR I was getting 3200 FPS with the big Amax. Very consistent results on steel at 1,000 yards. I also headshot a whitetail at 320 yards deer hunting this year with it. Silly accurate and lots of energy and performance on medium sized game.

Ahhahah nice rifle mate I've been checking all the things out that I would need for a custom rifle and the barrell is $900, jewell trigger close to $300, rem $700 camo stock $150, action $400 but I wouldn't mind the money. And the things I've been hearing bout the super varmint it's really not that bad, sako barell good trigger pretty nice:)

I do love my super varmint, you would be happy with it if you bought one. Their triggers are great out of the box.

My last jewell trigger here in Aus cost me $400 :S, and were rare as hens teeth at the time. I'm not sure you'll get an action for $400 here either unless you know someone selling it. From what I've seen they normally go for $600-$800... yes... for a standard rem 700 action, untrued... sigh. A stock at that price probably wouldn't include dbm/bdl so there is that as well. Barrel at that price should include chambering though.

22-250 ammo is common in Aus, it's a pretty popular cartridge among farmers and pro shooters.

Tikka 22-250 only comes in a 1:14 twist I think... 1:8 is for the .223.

Yea that's what I thought with the twist rate!!do u think that it would be worth getting the super varmint or just stick with the stainless caus.. Really the only difference is the adjustable stock like SHINI said and the action and barell is different shade of stainless or I actually think its bead blasted not sure but anyway ill haveto have a look through my cousins K624i and see what I think!

They are bead blasted. Super var also comes with a 0moa pic rail. I don't think its worth it. I never used the adjustable cheek piece on mine, and replaced the rail with a 20moa canted one.

+1 I had the super varmint and if I buy another it will just be the standard varmint stainless or I'd go a lite version if it was just a walk around rifle. Although it's a 1 MOA my mate and I (one was .260 the other 6.5x55) struggled to find a load that didn't shoot they just seemed to eat everything. For the price they are hard to beat as an accurate hunting rifle

Consider putting a muzzle brake on it. After 15 years of shooting it, I had one put on my heavy stainless Rem 40XB .220 swift (almost the same cartridge as a 22-250). With less recoil, you'll see the point of impact easier, worthwhile on a miss of small game at 300+ yards. My 1:14 twist likes IMR4064 and 55 grain bullets, or 3031 and 52gr. 60 grain bullets group much larger.