• Get 30% off the first 3 months with code HIDE30

Offer valid until 9/23! If you have an annual subscription on Sniper's Hide, subscribe below and you'll be refunded the difference.

Subscribe
  • Having trouble using the site?

Contact support

Dope card on rifle questions

zimm17

Private
Minuteman
Aug 18, 2012
Florida
I'm stepping up my rifle game (from pretty much zero, so there's room for improvement). I want to make dope cards for my rifles. I ran the Hornady and JBM calculators for my 6.5 Creedmore ammo and surely someone has a format for making it fit on a card?

What's a good way to water proof and tape the card to the stock? Clear packaging tape? Laminate the card and velcro (would be good for changing ammo loads)?

I have 2 rifles with mil/mil scopes so I'll make bullet drop cards with mil corrections for them. 1000 yards for the 6.5 and 600 for the .223? Or should I be smart only make cards to 500 since that's the longest range I have? But there might be a Zombie invasion where I need a 1000 yard shot across the field next to my house and if it's not on the card, I'll never hit them.

I also have rifles in different calibers wearing Nikon scopes with BDC dots (.223, .22lr, .300blk, .50 beowulf). I figure I can use the Nikon calculator and print out cards that will have what range each dot is good for hold over. Otherwise the dots are useless.

Tactical luggage tag, with data cards for DA’s from -2000 to 15000 folded up inside.
JBM online, matched to real dope and shrunk to print the size I want with MS Word. Flip side has the further ranges out to 1200.
Been working for 10yrs.

D0C4C65E-376E-4BB6-9205-934DAE68066E.jpeg

Reactions: Skunkworx
Those would be great for the range bag. Good idea. I also want to have just the little card for quick reference. At the range or course I'll have cell phone. This is for back up or if I ever get drug out to go hunting.

I spent some time with pages and a business card template and came up with this for the mil/mil scope. I just saw the typo- need to add a zero to make 1000. Of course I need to actually measure scope above bore height, and a real chronograph would help too. This should get me in the ball park.

Attachments

• Screen Shot 2019-07-13 at 12.11.40 PM.png
    Screen Shot 2019-07-13 at 12.11.40 PM.png
    92.5 KB · Views: 1,431
Make different DA dope cards. As big as will fit on the stock. Laminate them.

Use clear packing take to affix the one you need to rifles when DA changes enough to swap cards, cut it off and tape on other one.

Keep using your laminated cards and just tape the one you want on.

I made a chart, laminated with business card sized pockets, cut to size, and stuck velcro on it. Now with the format, I can make updated tables, laminate, and velcro in just a few minutes. As you mentioned, I could make a stack of these for the range bag with different DA's. However I'm in very southern Florida where there is no elevation and the temperature stays within 10 degrees. I made this card for zero elevation. DA is about 2000 feet, so I should make a card for that as well. White paper looked a little un-tactical, so I picked "brown" but it's no match for FDE, I'll have to play with the color settings.